Magister Modmod

MagisterCultuum

Great Sage
Edit: I'm going ahead and uploading a new version, but am tired and need to get up early tomorrow so I won't write much yet or bother changing what was written before. This is mostly for bug fixes, but there are a few minor additions too, like a hellish version of every type of terrain.

Spoiler Text from last release, which I don't feel like updating yet :

I probably won't be modding much during this, my final semester of college, but I decided to leave you with another update to hold you over during the next few months. This release is for FfH 0.41o, and also I rushed through making it in only half a week it seems to be much more stable than the last version. Enjoy.

You could say that this release is a matter of life and death. No, I don't mean it is all important that you play it, but rather that most of the changes since the last version deal with these two precepts.

The first big change is in how the Resurrection spell works. It is no longer limited to bring back from the dead a single national hero. You still cannot claim other nation's heroes or the heroes for a rival religion through resurrection, but you can choose to bring back your national hero, a hero of your religion, or one of the no specific heroes like Mary or Duin. You are not even limited to resurrecting hero units; any living unit of a high enough level can return. Resurrected units are not just fresh copies of the unittype either, but come complete with their promotions, experience, levels, and even unique names.

Resurrection now depends on the pretense of the deceased's Sluagh. Sluagh in the lore are mortal souls which, if they have sufficient willpower, may linger in Erebus rather than going to find rest in Arawn's vault. In the lore, resurrecting anyone whose Sluagh has left Erebus requires the assistance of whatever god has claimed the soul. In my modmod, a Sluagh is a dummy unit with a special form of invisibility which is used to store the dead unit's data. For convenience sake, they all stay on tile (0,0), which I've had to make always be land in order for them to stay there. There are special Sluagh's meant to store the types of heroes, but as I did not want to double the number of units in the game or use that much python hard coding, more mundane units will be considered to be Champions for resurrection purposes. A unit that leaves a Sluagh will not be going to serve the Mercurians or Infernals. It might also not be eligible for resurrection at all.

The Soul Forge Wonder no longer turns all living units that die within a tile of it into production for its city. Instead, it is limited to harnessing the soul's of its owner's units, but is in no way limited by distance. Living units that die on the opposite side of the map will still power the forge. As their souls are consumed in the process, they leave no Sluaghs and cannot return as either angels or demons. If you are not on friendly terms with either the Mercurians or Infernals, this can be a good thing.

Mokka's Cauldron was already a mobile piece of equipment in my last release, but it is more useful now. The Cauldron now raises units that die on its tile as undead no matter what form it is in, building, promotion, or unit.

There are two pieces of equipment that can prevent a Sluagh from being eligible for resurrection: The Netherblade and the Malleus Vindex (Basium's war hammer). The Malleus Vindex prevents units that would have returned as demons from doing so, but if the hammer is destroyed its prisoners will all come pouring out with a vengeance. The Netherblade sends souls to Laroth's kingdom in the Otherworld, beyond the range of resurrection spells. This blade can also be destroyed in order to make its victims eligible for resurrection once more. (I was trying to make these effect only work on a unit that die to the weapon itself, but the best I could do was to make it apply to units that died while the weapon was nearby.)

Units sent to Laroth may return to the world of the living, but only part of the legion serving their new evil God of Death, after the completion of a ritual that marks the death of the age of rebirth and the birth of the age of death.

Edit: If you downloaded before 11:18am on the day of the release, you'll need to delete the extra comma from line 6339 on CvSpellInterface.py for the mod to run properly.

It is also recommended that you switch the order of lines 6587 and 6588 in CvSpellinterface.py before playing games with the Illians, unless you want them to get an enormous stack of Auric Ulvins instead of only one.

I was beginning to doubt its existence!

Why is Basium Tolerant (Arrogator)? The mechanics aren't really appropriate to him.

I'd give Tolerant to the Grigori, to compensate for their lack of fun stuff. It also fits a tad better flavourwise.

The new units, BTW, are Elohim Berserker replacements (Councelors), Odio, Runewyn (Force mana summon), Rift (Sounds like a Dimensional summon), some bird called Aquilain, Malchiavic (a new Sheaim hero), Frost Giant (Illian Berserker replacement), Dryads (Kurio Druid UU), Luchuirp Snipers (a Marksman UU which requires Blasting Powder), Bhall Orcs (very early adept type of the Clan), Heirs of Taranis (Illian Immortal UU's) and some equipment stuff. Lightbringer is now an empyrean Disciple UU.

What I really wanted to do was make Basium's mortal troops be those of the civ that summoned him, and that was the closest I could come to that. While it certainly does not seem right for him to use the Infernal or Sheaim units/buildings/mechanics, the lore actually does show his mortal army as a motley group of men who fled other empires to join the war against the infernal to serve him, so it is not that inappropriate. Basium does not care much about the local culture, and would use nearly any weapon at his disposal to fight demons (although not demon summoning, of course.)

In some older versions I tried to make cities gained through Conquest (instead of culture flipping, diplomacy, or Basium's Convert City spell) not retain their nationality, but that wasn't possible without permanently changing the nationality for other Tolerant trait leaders. I also toyed with making him automatically raze inappropriate cities.

Hmm...I just remembered that I never fixed Basium's Convert city spell. That same code worked in the version from which I borrowed it, but did not work in my play-testing of this version. He should be able to take (multiple) cities from his summoner while preserving their nationality.

The Conquest encouraged by the "Tolerant" trait really does not fit Cassiel's philosophy. If it worked based on culture instead of who built the city then I likely would have given it to the Grigori and Kuriotates instead.

The Grigori have some more fun stuff in my version, although not as much here as in older versions of mine. I didn't get around to giving them the Something Completely Different spell because I didn't feel like giving them UUs of the arcane line without free promotions, and letting adventurers return to being adventurers again while letting them upgrade to arcane units can lead to abuse where you turn gold into free promotion pics. (Hmm...I guess I probably could have tried removing the promotion pic in python though.)

The Grigori are a bit more defensive in this version. As you may have noticed, their Farms upgrade to Homesteads. (Hmm...I may have forgotten the TXT_KEY for that improvement. Also, I haven;t figured out why the Homestead graphics don't seem to be showing up. I blame the Ls system.) In addition to being able to discover more resources, Homesteads will generate their own defenders when an enemy invades. (I was planning to let Bannor towns an forts, act similarly, but forgot. That would have probably slowed the game down a lot though as giving them civ specific upgrades would not work as the improvements upgrade already.)

The Grigori are a bit more defensive in this version. As you may have noticed, their Farms upgrade to Homesteads.

I didn't look at this file so far, only at leaderheads, civs and units.

The Conquest encouraged by the "Tolerant" trait really does not fit Cassiel's philosophy.

At least, it's better then Elohim having it, though. :p I also added some builderish stuff to the Grigori too, to represent their softer side. I may also steal the "grigori farms can discover resources" idea, though I'm not sure about the spawning defenders.

Actually I let all farms discover the normal grain resources, but Homesteads can also discover (and connect) pasture resources.

The defenders from homesteads are weak, limited duration, and only spawn when an enemy enters that tile. The fact that they (like Treants in Ancient Forests) stop enemy movement is more important than the units themselves. They are not suited for a regular army or offensive war, only for defending their homes.

Speaking of treants, I just noticed that I forgot to give them siege abilities. Oh well. I did make it so that their death will upgrade New Forests to Forests and Forests to Ancient Forests rather than just planing New Forests. I also gave them Nature II, which in this version allows Bloom. I changed that in part because the pedia clearly shows Thessa (who is elsewhere shown as rather ignorant and dismissive of the teachings of the Priests of the Leaves) using the spell as a child, and in part so that the Svartalfar could better take advantage of their building-in-forests (and blooming on improvements) ability without needing to adopt FoL before/instead of the more thematic CoE.

Treetop defense is now a Priest of the Leaves spell. I was planning to change Summon tiger to Call Animal (which would generate a random animal based on terrain and caster level), but never got around to it.

Nature III is Summon Guardian Vines. Guardian vines were made a bit stronger, and given the Entangle ability. Vitalize was moved to Druids.

Druids have access to Nature and Life, but only with the right mana. Yvain and Dryads (the Kuriotates Druid UU) also start with Creation I and can get higher levels of it with the right mana. Druids don't depend on alignment, but require Nature mana and must be upgraded from Recon units or FoL disciples of level 3 or more. (Dryads have no level requirement, but can only be built directly.)

Satyrs may upgrade to Priests of the leaves, which may upgrade to Druids or Beastmasters. Mezmerize Animal depends on the Satyr Racial promotion and subdue animal. there is also a Mezmerize Beasts spell for Satyrs with Subdue Beast. Yvain is a Satyr Druid instead of a Treant.

Priests now rely on Divine and Divine II instead of Divine plus Channeling II or III. Druids don't have Channeling III, but instead a Druidic promotion that allows access to Nature I/II/III, Life I/II/III, and Creation II/III.

Lightbringers are now an Ecclesiastic UU. They are Ecclesiastics (with the Sentry Promotion) that can be built even before The Empyrean has been founded. They require only Way of the Wise and a Desert Shrine. This gives the Malakim a way to found it early, but they still need Honor to built Temples of the Empyrean or any other empyrean unit. (Temples of the Empyrean boost the GPP rate.)

If a unit belonging to a civ that has the Empyrean as their State Religion but does not know Honor reaches the Mirror of Heaven, they will get both Honor and a Great Prophet for free. Entering the Mirror also forces a unit to cast Revelation. (It also places Sun mana on the tile, just to make up for the bug that often stops unique features' bonuses from being placed in Flood Plains.)

The first person to research a religion-founding tech gets a free priests of that religion. The first to research Knowledge of the ether gets a free adept, the first to Sorcery a free Mage, the first to Strength of Will a free Archmage, the first to Rage a free berserker, the first to Warhorses a free Knight, the first to Animal Mastery a free Beastmaster, and the first to Theology a free Great Prophet.

After Theology, Great Prophets have access to spells that turn them into high priests of your state religion (or of Winter for the Illians).

Beastmasters again start with Subdue Animal and Subdue Beast.

Angels and Manes keep the religion they had in life, and get a free promotion based on it. (Hmm, I think I may not have fixed a bug that gives the same free promotions to other units given through def giftUnits of they have religions. That means free disciples from religious techs.)

Units from the Malakim worldspell also get free religion dependent promotions. (Sun 2 for Vicars, Stealth for CoE Assassins, etc.)

Dragons are not built or summoned through a ritual. Anyone can complete Stir from Slumber, but that alone is not enough. Once the ritual only allows spells to resurrect the dragons from their bones. There are 5 Dragon Bones features, each with a different mana type (Water, Fire, Ice, Dimensional, or Creation). A Kuriotate unit with Creation III can ressurect Eurabatres from the bones with Creation mana. A Sheaim unit with Dimensional III can resurrect Abashi from the bones with Dimensional mana. An Illian unit with Ice III can resurrect Drifa from the bones with Ice mana. Any unit with Fire III can resurrect Acheron from the bones with Fire mana. If a dragon enters the world in any way (even worldbuilder), its bones are removed.

Dragons are a lot stronger. Each has a somewhat different breath weapon. All have the Winged promotion, which allows them to gain or loose Flying at will.

The Dragon Slaying promotion now provides an 80% bonus against dragons.

Herne is the Kuriotate hero for resurrection and Shrine of the Champion purposes. The Sheaim hero is Malchiavic. This archmage from the Age of Magic is dead, and so can only be resurrected, not built.

There a a few new pieces of equipment. Mokkas Cauldron and spellstaffs are now equipment. Mokkas starts with Mokkas Cauldron. Exploring lairs can uncover Kannas Ring or the Spear of Majosi. Kannas Ring gives Warcry as a summon perk, and has dimensional affinity. The Spear of Majosi gives water affinity and allows a Mezmerize Sea Creature spell. (That is like Mezmerize animal or beast for any domain_sea animal or beast. Its prereq also passively Charms any enemy sea creature.)

Eaters of Dreams have Dinemsional affinity. Consume soul provides the Immortality promotion. Liches are immortal.

I should probably stop there for now, as I have class in 4 minutes.

It's like viewing the Arc of the Covenant :eek:

I'd almost forgotten about the changes to Vampires, as it was one of the first things I implemented. The Calabim are a bit slower getting started, but potentially far more powerful.

In my modmod, the only Vampiric units that can be built directly are Losha Valas and Brujahs.

Losha Valas became a lot "weaker," and much scarier in the process. Her stats are like those of an Assassin, minus one point of strength. (She is still unitcombat_melee and able to use weapon promotions though.) She has the Marksman promotion, so she can picks off weak units to regain immortality before taking on the strong. More importantly, I made it so that Aeron's Chosen depends not on UNITCLASS_ASSASSIN, but on the presence of the Marksman promotion. This means that Aeron often chooses the hero of the civ devoted to him.

Brujahs (and normal Berserkers) start Crazed. Brujah's also have access to the same Rage spell as Buboes, giving all living units around them burning blood. If you aren't careful, this can turn your whole army barbarian and spell the death of you.

(Note that Spirit III has an extra spell which is able to remove Burning Blood, Enraged, and Even Crazed. It also does holy damage to certain rage-based demons. The Elohim's Counselor unit is a Berseker UU with a very different purpose. This defensive-only unit derives almost all of its strength from Spirit Affinity, and starts with Spirit I-III.)

I left the UNIT_VAMPIRE in because I did not want to go through the process of checking all the exploration results, but the Calabim do not use it.

I meant to create a vampiric artstyle so that normal champions looked like vampire when they got the vampire promotion, but forgot about it in this version.

The giftVampirism spell has been changed. Instead of being cast by the vamp, it is cast by the unit receiving the dark gift. This way it is an xml-only spell, making ti a little faster. Actually, it is not one spell but 4:
1- requires a living Calabim unit to be of at least level 6 and be in the same stack as a vampire.
2- requires a Calabim Moroi unit to be of at least level 4 and be in the same stack as a vampire.
3- requires a living Calabim unit to be of at least level 6 and be in a city with a governor's manor.
4- requires a Calabim Moroi unit to be of at least level 4 and be in a city with a governor's manor.

Vampiric units do not start with Body or Death magic and do not have channeling promotions (excluding Vampire Lords). However, the Vampire promotion allows access to Body/Death/Mind/Shadow I/II, with the appropriate mana.

Feasting can raze a city to the ground. Note that the spell has diplomatic repercussions, especially in holy cities.

Feed is a lot stronger, more like the pre-BtS version of the spell. I did not implement the old python targeting system, so it is cast by the victim instead of the Vampire. It is not limited to Bloodpets, but any living, non-vampiric, non-limited duration, non-animal, non-specialunit_spell unit. (This includes Slaves.) Instead of just healing, it again allows the Vampire to attack again in the same turn. If it was a Bloodpet being sacrificed, it also restores the Vampires movement points and grants the vampire half of the Bloodpet's xp.

The Vampire promotion also grants a tiny amount of free xp gain, as well as a 20% resistance to Death Damage and a 15% weakness to Holy Damage.

Although the name appears the same in game, the Calabim have a UU of the Pillar of Chains. Their version fo the wonder (called BUILDING_ROSE_OF_PRESPUR in the xml) differs from the normal one only in that it provides a free Governor's Manor in every city (technically a Free Courthouse; it won't be in a Governor's manor if Basium or a non-Calabim Decius built it in a Calabim city). Considering that the :hammers: from:mad: provided by Governors Manors and the Pillar of Chains do not stack, I figured players would want another reason for Flauros to build his favorite wonder.

Except for Decius, all Calabim leaders have a -100 weighting towards the Empyrean.

It seems that in this version I forgot to include the features that represent the antagonism between the Empyrean and Calabim like I do in most versions. Normally they have NONE as a UU for all Calabim units, and Calabim units that follow the Empyrean refuse to follow orders.

I'm considering a minor update before the load of school work gets really heavy. If I do release one, don't expect Vampires and Lugus to get along so well as they do now.

Wow, I'm impressed. This might summon Kael back for a new patch.

That already happened:

Bug Thread said:
Patch 0.41k (unreleased, will break save games)
1. New Kuriotate Scout model by seZereth.
2. New Kuriotate Hunter model by seZereth.
3. New Kuriotate Ranger model by seZereth.
4. New Kuriotate Assassin model by seZereth.
5. New Kuriotate Beastmaster model by seZereth.
6. Genesis now removes all hell terrain from your lands (though it might convert again, idea from WildMana).
7. Promotions that pass promtions to summons won't pass them to abilities (ex: Hire Goblin, idea from Denev).
8. Improvement discovery chances are now modified by game speed (idea from jdog5000).
9. Feature disappearance is now modified by game speed (idea from jdog5000).
10. Feature growth is now modified by game speed (idea from jdog5000).
11. Hundreds of AI updates from Wildmana (all Sephi's latest AI python and SDK code reviewed and many changes checked in).
12. Checked in Sephi's OOS fixes.
13. Fixed a CtD caused by switching to no religion (fix by Sephi).
14. Fixed a CtD caused by some spell where the caster dies before the spell resolves (ie: taunt, fix by Sephi).
15. New Illian Adept model by Esvath.
16. New Illian Mage model by Esvath.
17. New Illian Archmage model by Esvath.

I'm considering a minor update before the load of school work gets really heavy. If I do release one, don't expect Vampires and Lugus to get along so well as they do now.

I guess it is good idea to wait for patch "k" by Kael then update.

I guess it is good idea to wait for patch "k" by Kael then update.

Possibly. However, based purely on his changelog I suspect this this version will still be compatible with patch k. I should probably wait to see if someone finds some bugs first though.

Satan "D*mn it's cold down here"

;)

I'm not quite sure what you mean, so I choose to take it as a request to explain the changes to the Illians.

Temples of the Hand don't terraform once, they terraform every turn. However, they use TempTerrain, so if the city is conquered the terrain will eventually go back to normal. (As normal FfH does not have temp features, jungles will stay forests though.)

Priests of Winter can build Temples of the Hand just like normal priests can their temples.

Temples of the Hand can be removed by the Inquisition or Enlighten spells. (I think I forgot to block the Illians from removing them from their own cities. Oops.)

(Enlighten City is the Luonnatar version of Inquisition. It can remove even state religions from rival cities.I used to have Enlighten units as a seperate spell, but I rolled tht into Evangelize Units.

The Evangelist promotion allows Evangelize Units, which has a chance to convert nearby units to the caster's religion. It also allows an xml-only Evangelize spell for spreading the caster's religion to a city. It works like the temple founding spells, but does not kill the caster and has a chance of being Miscast.)

The Priests of Winter created by The White Hand ritual start with Strong, Inquisitor, Potency, Immune Cold, and Extension I.

Warning: I just noticed that I did not edit this code when I split Potency into seperate Arcane and Zeal promotions. Completing this ritual without first changing iPot = gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_POTENCY') to iPot = gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_ZEAL') is not recommended.

Once The White Hand has been completed, you may build more Priests of Winter so long as Auric is Alive. (I meant to allow it with Auric Ascended around instead, but forgot.) These priests have had their strength reduced.

Ice Nodes may only be built by Auric, Priests of Winter, or High Priests of Winter.

The White Hand, The Deepening, The Draw, and Ascension all require having a living Auric/Auric Ascended.

Auric is gained through the Letum Frigus event. If you play as the Illians, you had better hope the feature exisst on your map.

The mortal Auric's death will cost you your traits.

Auric lost a point of strength, but gained the Immune Cold, Winterborn, Arcane, Channeling I, and Channeling II promotions.

(In this version, spell spheres are available to any unitcombat with the right mana and channeling promotion, and all units can get caster xp, although only UNITCOMBAT_ADEPT units get free spell spheres based on the maan you own.)

The Draw gives Auric Strong, Channeling III, and Crazed. As he is overwhelmed by the Sphere of Ice, he becomes highly irrational. If you aren't careful, he'll run off and get himself killed.

Ascension turns the mortal Auric into Auric Ascended. The mortal Auric can get promotions, but Auric ascended cannot. He also looses the promotions granted by The Draw, as well as all spell spheres but Ice once his Ascention is complete.

Auric Ascended is a lot stronger. His has combat strength of 60 + 15 ice affinity. He has 7 (actually 8, thanks to the flying promotion) moves, and acts like an ICBM. That is to say, he can move directly from any tile on the map to any other (excluding too close to neutral civ's units and territory, but there shouldn't be such a thing as a neutral civ at this point), including during attacks. His terraforms the land around him purely by being there (and technically by being selected, as it is in a pyPrereq for a spell). He heals fully after every combat. He is still vulnerable to The Godslayer, and also one other weapon that you could probably guess from the scenarios.

As mentioned before, after researching theology Great Prophets may become High Priests of Winter.

Also as mentioned before, Stir from Slumber is available to anyone, does not require killing a civ first, but only serves to make the dragon resurrection spells castable. The Illians still need to get an Ice III unit to Drifa's bones in order to revive her.

High Priests of Winter don't move Blizzards, they make them.

At Divine Essence the Illians can build Aquilans. These great eagles (the first of which built will be called Fiacra) can create Blizzards too. They are a national unit.

The Illians got a new immortal UU: The Heir of Taranis. Serving as Auric's archangels comes with a blessing and a curse. They are immortal and heal fully after each battle, but can never learn (i.e, like Auric Ascended they have no unitcombat and so cannot purchase promotions). They start with Immune Cold, Immune Magic, Immune Disease, and Heavy. Priests of Winter may upgrade to Heirs of Taranis.

The Illians have Frost Giants as a Berserker UU. They are not Crazed like most Berserkers, and are stronger. These elementals may only be built directly, not upgraded from lesser units. They, like Wilboman, cannot enter warmer terrain.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, so I choose to take it as a request to explain the changes to the Illians.

Oh nothing just something about hell freezing over :D I am glad to see it released and will be doing my best to find each and every bug, CTD, WOC, etc that I can...
:goodjob:

Top Bottom