Magna Graecia, a Hellenic AAR

Equuleus

King
Magna Graecia, a Hellenic AAR
Victoria Revolutions VIP 3

Episode I, a National Awakening

January 1 1836

Greece was still a infant nation on the international Stage, liberated from the Ottoman Turks after hundreds of years of
oppression a decade ago. The Kingdom of Greece was formed on the basis of Greek nationalism, however only a fraction of
Greek people lay within the Kingdom's rule. A majority remain under Ottoman domination.

Greece at this time was a weak nation with a population totaling a little over 900,000 people with 2 armies of 10,000,
75% of which were ready reserves. The Navy consisted of 2 frigates and several merchant transports.
The only thing Greece had to it's advantage was it's relations with the great powers of
Europe.

Still, the Ottomans could outnumber Greek forces 10 to 1. To help balance this King Otto concluded two treaties of alliance
with the Austrian and Russian Empires in early 1836.

Otto also announced a radical army expansion program that year, the army was to be increased to 20,000 Active and ready reserve forces
as well as a new Militia force of 40,000. Greece however was a poor nation, so it would take several years for the funds
for the force to be allocated.

Otto, King of Greece

The Bavarian born King Otto had ideas about expanding his power using Greek nationalism as a catalyst to this end.
However, many Greek nationalists did not care for their Bavarian born King. At all.

In the year 1838 a war erupted between Turkey and it's vassal Egypt.
Sensing an opportunity King Otto ordered a general mobilization and seized the island of Crete from Egyptian forces. Turkey, preoccupied in a land war in Syria and afraid to cross the great powers could do little but protest and deliver empty threats.
Following naval landings Greek forces quickly defeated the small Egyptian garrison which surrendered following the short battle of Heraklion.

In mid 1839 the Egyptian leader concluded the Treaty of Alexandria with Greece recognizing Greek sovereignty over the island.

With the liberation of the island 333,000 more people were now under King Otto's reign.
However approximately 40% of these persons were ethnic Turks. The price for Otto's bold move did not come cheaply either, Greece was now in debt and running a deficit. In addition to these economic hardships nearly 2,000 Greek troops died in the war.
However Otto's move on Crete did gain him some support from Greek nationalists, although a vast majority still viewed him with more than minor suspicion.

Statistics of the Greek Kingdom post war:

Awesome start.
But what are you going to do with the Turks on Crete?
(Never played Victoria before - Can you actually deal with them?)

They are a non accepted minority culture who will not advance in society basically and will be more likely to revolt basically. As for "dealing" with them well there is no way per se. Other than crushing them if they revolt reducing their numbers.

There are also some more gamey methods to remove minorities such as drafting them and sending them on one way missions, going to a communist economy and turning them all into capitalists then raising taxes on the rich to the uber max so they deport themselves. Denying them work will also make them self deport although they might just move to a new area of your country where they can work.

Btw, here are some Stats for Greece in late 1839:

Uh, isn't the standard VIP strategy for the Greeks a DoW on the Ottomans at this stage and sneaky capture of Constantinople to kickstart the "Form Byzantine Empire" decision? :mischief:

That said, interesting title. Even though it makes me think you're going to dick around in Italy. Are you going to dick around in Italy?

aronnax, you can deal with the Turks, but usually it's a long, drawn out process of recruiting Turkish divisions and deliberately letting them die, which is the fastest, cheapest, and most useful way I'm aware of to decrease pop size. Genocide isn't really available.

Uh, isn't the standard VIP strategy for the Greeks a DoW on the Ottomans at this stage and sneaky capture of Constantinople to kickstart the "Form Byzantine Empire" decision? :mischief:

That said, interesting title. Even though it makes me think you're going to dick around in Italy. Are you going to dick around in Italy?

aronnax, you can deal with the Turks, but usually it's a long, drawn out process of recruiting Turkish divisions and deliberately letting them die, which is the fastest, cheapest, and most useful way I'm aware of to decrease pop size. Genocide isn't really available.

Yes it is. However I don't believe in Gameyism and I've tried it in prior games and you have to reload the war about a dozen times to be able to do it, at least for me that is.
All my attempts failed in the Ottoman Egyptian war too and I didn't do it until about 1850 after several reloads. So I am going to go for a more block by block strategy before trying to capture Constantinople. As for Otto's plans those are his secrets and they will be revealed in due time.

Oh. Well, a Greek probably wouldn't use a Latin phrase to refer to Megale Hellas. :3

Good luck. Interested in seeing how this works for you.

Otto isn't Greek though :p

He ain't Latin either. ;) Updatetetetetetete :mischief:

He ain't Latin either. ;) Updatetetetetetete :mischief:

Yes please. Regular Updates...

After the infected started to ravage Britain, all the people including Kan became part of the infected. So 28 days went by without any updates for my regular HOI2 game...

I was going to post one yesterday but the bugger crashed just before I could hit post.
Let me try again and hope it doesn't crash this time.

Episode II, Rebirth of an Empire

Late 1839

Following the Peace of Alexandria, Otto's Government followed reports from the war in Syria between the Ottomans and Egyptians with great care. By the late part of the year it had become clear that the Ottomans and Egyptians had reached a bloody stalemate.
Additionally, reports of extremely limited Ottoman forces on the frontier indicated the Ottomans were getting desperate to the point they could not even maintain troops on the border to menace Greece.

Otto sensed this was an opportunity that would not present itself again, he ordered immediate plans for an offensive into Ottoman held Greek provinces to begin with the aim of liberating as much territory as possible.

Greek forces marched onwards greeted as liberators as they advanced. There were few Ottoman forces to offer resistance, except at the battle of Larisa where 1 division of Ottoman troops made a stand but were destroyed.

By the time the Greek army had occupied most of Thrace, commanders were stunned to hear reports that virtually no troops lay within Konstantinopolis. Two corps were dispatched to storm the city.

Light resistance from local militia and police was quickly crushed by Greek forces.
King Otto at the head of 2 companies of Bavarian guards stormed the Topkapı Palace.
As they reached the Sultan's chambers Otto kicked down the door and is reported to have yelled "Sieg!!!". The Sultan was was captured trying to escape out the window dressed in a burka.

Several days latter with the blessing of the Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church Otto was crowned Otto I, Emperor of Byzantium and Defender of the Faith in the Hogia Sophia. The building was being restored to it's state prior to 1453.

In the following weeks a treaty was negotiated and signed between the Emperor of the Sultan whereby the Ottoman State would cede it's European holdings save Bosnia to the revived Byzantine Empire.

Following the crushing defeat delivered to him by the Greeks the Ottoman Sultan also had to recognize Egypt as independent , in addition to this he was forced to accept their control of Syria and Palestine.

See? :3 Nicely done.

The obvious course is to continue the campaign against the Ottomans. But who should we go after when Asia minor is liberated?

So many ethnic groups... only 36% Greek? Are you going to release anything? At least give away the 5% Serbs!

The Serbs are good Orthodox Christians though.

We could expel the Turks and Albanians, although this would be pricey. ( converting all the minorities to capitalist and jacking up rich taxes to 100% under state capitalism )

If you could form a Full Citizenship government and convert Turkish PoPs to soldiers...

Well that was rather sudden. I also agree with the war against The Kingdom of Two Sicilies.

Top Bottom