Magnadine?

DeeEmm

Chieftain
Is it possible to get some lore on everyone's favourite economy-destroying, mercenary-hiring hero? I suspect he's a mercenary leader given his skills, and Magnadine sounds more like a title than a name, but some official information would be nice. :)

There isn't a whole lot of info on him.

I don't see any reason to believe that Magnadine is a title rather than just a name. I suspect that he may be the leader of one of the Hippus Clans, like Rhoanna and Tasunke, probably a minor one that was not well known until Magnadine made it famous. Like essentially all Hippus warriors after Rhoanna's reforms, he is a mercenary, and a good one at that. In addition to being a formidable horseman, he is quite charismatic individual who excels at convincing defeated enemies to switch sides (paying them better helps too). He isn't exactly civilized, and has just that odd sort of honor that Orcs find a mark of a good leader. Generally humans and Orcs can't stand each other, but Magnadine doesn't care about his follower's races or backgrounds and they in turn often prefer him to other Orcish leaders. I vaguely remember an older pedia entry indicating that about half of those who follow him are Orcs.

I could picture Magnadine taking over Tasunke's role as almost a de facto king of the whole Hippus nation, and think I may add him as a minor leader in my version. How does Charismatic/Barbarian/Horselord(/maybe Raiders too?) sound?

There isn't a whole lot of info on him.

I don't see any reason to believe that Magnadine is a title rather than just a name. I suspect that he may be the leader of one of the Hippus Clans, like Rhoanna and Tasunke, probably a minor one that was not well known until Magnadine made it famous. Like essentially all Hippus warriors after Rhoanna's reforms, he is a mercenary, and a good one at that. In addition to being a formidable horseman, he is quite charismatic individual who excels at convincing defeated enemies to switch sides (paying them better helps too). He isn't exactly civilized, and has just that odd sort of honor that Orcs find a mark of a good leader. Generally humans and Orcs can't stand each other, but Magnadine doesn't care about his follower's races or backgrounds and they in turn often prefer him to other Orcish leaders. I vaguely remember an older pedia entry indicating that about half of those who follow him are Orcs.

I could picture Magnadine taking over Tasunke's role as almost a de facto king of the whole Hippus nation, and think I may add him as a minor leader in my version. How does Charismatic/Barbarian/Horselord(/maybe Raiders too?) sound?
we want to know when it will come out first

What are the other six?

I started delving into the SDK again over the weekend, planning to just make a few minor changes in the FF DLL and then removing most of the FF xml and python content to get a good base for my modmod. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to compile, and Xienwolf didn't recognize the error I was getting. He said people had been getting a lot of weird problems trying to compile that version, and that it would be much easier to wait until the next big version of FF to continue.

Unfortunately, I was doing that when I should have been doing a lab report. It is due at 3 pm tomorrow, and I'm not even a third of the way done. I suspect I won't get much sleep tonight, and may have to skip my noon class tomorrow. Missing a single lab or failing to turn in a single lab report is an automatic failure in that class, and I'm not sure if they'll accept them late. (I could still drop the class instead of failing if I don't get it in, but that could end up extending my stay in college by one semester, and I just lost my scholarship so my dad would have to pay, and would not be happy.)

Hmm. I understand that the event has already passed ... but you could turn it in mostly completed?? Still, that kinda drive is what gets da job done even under impossible odds (the stressful kind of drive)

Update:

I went on to school Tuesday thinking I didn't have any hope of finishing it in time and would have to either convince the TA to give me an extension or drop the class. One guy who has the exact same schedule as me was working on his lab report on his labtop right before our first class started, and we decided to skip that class and go to the computer lab and work on it together. (He actually had somewhere else to go first, so I worked alone on it for about an hour first.) He pointed out a few mistakes and helped me get the excel parts finished, but I had barely started the written portion when time ran out. He hadn't completely finished, but decided to BS the last part. I printed out what I had done but asked if I could turn it in later than evening instead, and the TA said I could if I get it to his office my 6pm. One other guy in the lab group (who happens to be the only guy from my highschool I have any classes with) hadn't finished either. I didn't actually finish until 6:30 and it took 3 minutes to get it to his office. He wasn't there, but the door was still open and a female TA that shared the office showed me his desk and the stack where I put it. The other guy said he finished his report at 7 but the office was locked by then so he had to turn it in the next morning. I think he said that the TA didn't have a problem accepting it then, so I assume I'm ok.

I didn't get my Structures homework for Friday done, but I turned in the more than 3/4ths of it I had completed. That isn't nearly as important, as each assignment is only 1% of the grade.

That may have also been due in part to delving in the SDK again. That time I didn't bother with the FF SDK, just the normal FfH, and it compiled fine (eventually). In my first successful attempt to add something to the schema, I made it possible for buildings to grant up to 7 different resources. I tested it by making all the Towers provide all the mana types needed to build them (well, except the Tower of Mastery, as I made that require all 21 mana types and hadn't added enough tags to for it to provide them all). I also added TempFeature and TempImprovement functions, but haven't tested them yet. The changes I thought would allow units to build improvements on peaks ended up making sentry towers and other unique features often end on on peaks. (I haven't yet tested if it lets workers build there too.) I also removed (well, commented out) the "you've grown too powerful for us" block from an AI joining a permanent alliance, and reduced the #turns sharing a war or defensive pact requirement from 40 to 5. Lastly, I added the one line that makes units dieing from duration ending unload their cargo, which has already been in FF for a long time since I had convinced Grey Fox to add it to Broader Alignments.

I then merged the changes from my 0.40r version into 0.41a, but it now crashes inexplicably right after the loading screen comes up. Originally it would crash before the mod was fully loaded, but I fixed that. I suspect there may be some issues with art changed between .40 and .41. If I can't find it soon, I'll probably try to start a new modmod from scratch instead of relying on WinMerge. I may wait until after FfH (or maybe FF) is updated to the BtS 3.19 patch before starting that though.

I should probably take a break from modding until after my Hydraulics test on Tuesday though, or maybe until after getting the next Lab report and HW done.

Edit: I still haven't found whatever problem (probably graphics) is messing up my merged version, but I did find that my TempFeature and Temp Improvement functions are working perfectly.

Just a question, how is this all relevant to the question at hand or any of us for that mater?

He mentioned it, and people might have wanted to know.:dunno: Altought, maybe cut down the size of the offtopic. You almost reminded my of Seon and Kyzarc Fotjage in dead Nes threads.;)

It isn't really, but no one had said anything actually relevant to the discussion since I made my first post. I don't think there is really much more we know about Magnadine anyway, so I figured I'd update people on how the modmod was coming (as they had asked when they can expect a release). If I can figure out what is causing the crash I could go ahead and release a version very soon, although it wouldn't be nearly a finished product and I'd probably just start over after the 3.19 patch anyway.

Hoorah! I present to you the legendary story of Magnadine and his Descendants

And Magnadine was a little farm boy that then grew among the orcs, met bandits and grew to live among savage cutthroats and sellswords of all races. He then came to meet his father on an old farm, on his deathbed after an orc had stabbed him fatally several days before on a raid that Magnadine was not a part of. Learning of his hippus ancestry, he decided to join the Hippus and learn the ways of the horse.

Already quite skilled at mercing and charisma, he had but to catch up with the lifelong training on horseback his kin were grown-up with. It was a long path, and by 30 years of age he had joined the league of a greatest riders of the steed. He shared many similarities with Rhoanna, and were on a couple missions together (mainly during the finalisation of the Hippus conversion to full Mercenary Order) ... and were lovers for a short time.

In time Magnadine had less to do with Rhoanna, mainly due to her administrative affairs leading her elsewhere. He and Tasunke were at the same time close allies and fierce foes with a competitive streak as long as the grand canyon.

This competition fueled their strength, and they were a great team against many a foe. Once Magnadine saved Tasunke from a large contingent of Svaralphar assasins, while they were travilling through the Umbrawood in the middle of the War of the Splintered court, on the way to hear of a contract from the Calabim.

Tasunke adopted Magnadine into his clan, and gave him a sort of nobility inheritance, as if they were brothers. When the Illian madman killed glorious Tasunke the First, Magnadine was heir to his throne. He married a Bannorian woman, and had a son named Alexander. Alex had the carefree spirit of the hippus and strict military discipline from his mother. In the end it led to the greatest realisation of martial tactics in their most pure and perfect form. He led the joined Bannor Hippus forces in the second Great Infernal war, and gained great glory for the hippus. By this time the clans had grown in territory and power ceeded from other countries as a new kind of payment for assistance in the great wars. By the time his son, Alexander the Second, Magnadines grandson, was in power, the hippus had become an empire, and he was their governor. Their military governor. The clans had become feudal houses, and access to the Imperial army was given to those to win in the deathmatches of the jousting tourneys and the bowyer competition. The targets are each other. Of course, there is also the regular army, but all enlisted men are to kill a fitting target to join the mounted division. Either a savage Dire Lion or a Pit Beast would do, Griffons also would work. Of course, no one wanted to draw the short straw and end up facing down a 10 ton dire cave bear. those things are nasty. With his new Malachavian army, the military gov alexander led a blood crusade of take-no-prisoners looting, gaining much lebenstraum for his people. Eventually he conquered most of the known world, and ruled not from a hidden tower, but a mobile palace guarded by his deathsquad of elite and ruthless killers.

He ruled the empire, crushing any who opposed him, until the day he died, killed by an ancient Sidar assasin that had been in hiding behing enemy lines for centuries. He accidentally met the royal battalion as he was making his way back home to the hidden valley.

After his death the lords began petty squabling, and the mighty empire began to break apart as each provincial ruler wanted total control. The empire eventually broke back intothe clan system, after much blood was spilled in the 12 way civil war, named the Great Hippus Divide. The hippus nation weakend, and the other civilisations began to rise up, and make deals with separate fuedal lords, pitting them against each other. The line of Alexandrian rulers, as well as the Alexandrian house, went into hiding, rather forcefully, by the Sidar. Eventually a cunning, seductive, and brilliant Alexandrian woman was able to convince the placid and unconvincable Sandalphon to let her people regain their former glory. It was then that Pope Alexandrian the 7th led a Sidar army to take over the land of his fathers, the Sudetenland of the Hippi, the starting point. Ground Zero. From their, Xander (Alexandrian) led a multi-national force in the Great unification wars of the 7th century after rebirth, or A.R. The new age was considered the age of empires.

The UNA ... or Unified Nations of Alexandria, faced a vast orcish horde larger than any other before seen. The squabbles of humans had led the vast orcish warrens to breed a vast army over centuries of population growth, and a dwindling supply of resources the jungle had to offer, combined with interest piqued by the very Unification wars themselves, led the Orc kin to invade the UNA. The fighting was fierce, and the UNA were losing ... but then as the largest of the orc hordes decended upon the capital of UNA, a rift in the veil was created, and the Army of Laroth was unleashed, combined ancient magical weaponry Ethne the White taught them to use, semi-divine powers of Auric, and the sheer numbers of the dead-army- caused the orcish army to be wiped out. However, the Sidar joined this Laroth invasion, and backstabbed the UNA, killing many of their leaders and generals. The Alexandrians fled as the nation crumbled, and the whole world was pouring over with Laroth's army. A gate was created that was a permanent entrace from Arawn's Vault into Erebus, giving Laroth ultimate power over the world. The alexandrians were forced to join forces with the Orcs as the UNA crumbled and were destroyed. Much of the orcish jungle was being attacked by army engineers of laroth, intent on cutting and burning down the jungled growth in order to flush the enemy out. With the help of Succulus the A.O. or Alexandrian Orcs, were able to safely hide in the jungles and mountains. After some time, roughly a century, decendent of Magnadine, Alexander Thunderfoot the Half-Orc, was able to tame a demonic horse and find the Godslayer, leading an outnumbered army on a brave quest to kill Laroth and close the Gate to the Netherworld.

The Laroth Assasination squad ended up sneaking into the Spirit Tower, Laroth's personal Palace, after fighting through untold minions, only to find that it was a trap. The palace guard surrounded the army, backed by the feared 10th legion of laroth, a pure-Sidar force empowerd by ancient enchantment and spirit magics carried over from the age of magic.

At the last possible moment, Thunderfoot the Half-Orc leaped from the top of the tower and aimed himself at Laroth, who had come to witness firsthand and experience the gloating in full. He managed to skewer Laroth with the Slayer, and he died from the impact as well. In that moment, a shockwave crashed throughout creation that removed the spell of control from the Army of the Dead, and they became scared and confused spirits, most running back through the doorway into The vault of Death, but many becoming spectres and finding hidden away places to haunt. At this moment the rest of the orcish forces in the jungles began to storm out and scared the Sidar back into their hiding places. Some were skilled enough to retain the arcane magicks Laroth had bestowed upon them, and they fought to the death in an awesome display of power against the green horde.

Eventually the orcs won, but lost too many warriors to conquer the now freed citizens of erebus. They fled to the jungles and some order was returned to Erebus. This marks the end of the Age of Laroth and the beginning of the Age of balance. It is also the last official recording of the Alexandrian line, although it is rumored that some pure-blooded Alexandrians escaped the orcish lands in the confusion and now live in the new Bannorian nation.

I tend to gt the sense that Magnadine is from a latter generation that Rhoanna, and that Tasunke would have died far too soon for him them to have met.

For some reason, I'm starting to think that Magnadine may be the son of Rhoanna and Falamar, and that Rhoanna was secretly pregnant with him already when they defeated Auric. To keep the story appropriately dark, I'd say that the wounds his parents sustained in this battle eventually killed them, perhaps leading Rhoanna to die during childbirth. I could see Magnadine first being raised among the human barbarians of the Doviello before falling in with the orcs. Perhaps Mahala's dream came true and she and Falamar got together after Rhoanna's death, long enough for her to adopt his son. The Doviello legend says that they were founded by an orphaned Hippus boy raised by wolves, so Rhoanna's orphaned son would likely likely be highly respected among them. Since the Age of Ice had past beyond hope of returning and the Doviello way of life was dieing, I could see Magnadine leading the Doviello to rejoin their Hippus cousins and become as another Hippus clan. (Mahala was already adopting a more Hippus-like raider's lifestyle before Charadon was resurrected and Auric emerged to lead the Illians.) They would remain a bit more wild than the rest of the nation, but that might only enhance their reputation and help line their coffers.

That does make a lot of sense, although I would add that after time with the Doviello he ended up with the orcs for a while ... first as a captive and later as a leader. Then he joins the Hippus in a battle somehow, and later the doviello join as a clan, I would think Mahala might be dead at this point but her legacy is what help to unite the Doveillo as another HIppus clan.

MC, how was Charadon resurrected? Is it in the Illian scenarios?

I do not believe the Scenarios really say, although I could be mistaken.

Its alluded that the Doviello high priests/ elders were the ones that did so, although it is uncertain what religion they were following and what kind of ritual they used.

Top Bottom