Magyar Mod (cool3a2s version)

cool3a2

Deity
Reading the comments on the hungarian forum, I couldn't stand the disappointment of not having any up-to-date mod for Hungary. So I decided to go into it using kabcsis mod as a base.

I changed the buttons for the civ and the leader, yet they are still not perfect. I already successfully requested new ones that will likely be done around christmas thanks to help from Poland Also, I reused 'Austrias' UU to be the UU of Hungary now (including art and stats). The UB (végvár should be fine again as well as the texts which are available in English, German and Hungarian. And oh, there's a new trait: red gold (paprika) which will double spices reduce unhappiness and increase culture.
If you don't like the idea of having the hungarian uu appear twice now, check out the Austria bugfix mod which will replace Austrias hussar with k.k. Landwehr (militia).

Everything is still pretty early work. If there should be trouble, just comment.

Features
- Leader: István I.
- trait: red gold (doubles spices, increases culture by 1, reduces unhappiness)
- uu: huszár (same stats as 'austrian' hussar, uses bernies 3d art)
- ub: végvár (increases the cities defense value and adds culture; replaces castles)

Things to do
- adding modern hungarian unit artwork

Thanks to:
- kabcsi
- nitram
- bernie14
- janboruta
- kusztax

Previews
Spoiler :

Download
- The mod is available through steam workshop, just check for 'Magyar Mod'.
- Alternative download here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20504 (G&K version)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20733 (vanilla civ5 version)

Austria bugfix
As the huszár would now occur twice, I prepared a bugfix for Austria giving them the k.k. Landwehr. The Landwehrs battle strength will be increased on hills and in friendly territory and they will be able to cross mountains (peaks). Downloads:
- on steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=112552920&searchtext=Austria+bugfix
- download here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20505

Just updated the mods. First of all, I splitted the Magyar Mod into two versions, one for G&K and for vanilla civ5 each. I hope this will make it easier for me to trace down bugs. Also, there are some internal differences that do not influence the gameplay, but would have been hard to manage properly. The only difference affecting the gameplay will be the missing flanking promotion for vanilla civ5 users.

In both versions I fixed several bugs: spice will now be doubled by the trait, 3d leaderhead art will be displayed and the Magna Hungaria citystate should be fine now. Also, I included bernie14s 3d huszár art. For vanilla civ5 users, the huszárs button will now show up properly and the UBs culture bonus should work now.
The update to the Austria bugfix includes bernie14s 3d k.k. Landwehr art.

Future things to do are still to add danrells unit art and improving on the 2d interface art (buttons, map...). Yet for now, I won't include danrells units as bugs have been reported on steam, so I don't want to extend the possible sources of bugs. I was not able to trace down the source of the bugs so far, I can just hope that doing things properly for each of the two versions of civ5 and the project cleanup will help. Feel free to report bugs and also if bugs seem to have been fixed. If there are bugs, please tell me the version of civ5, DLCs and mods you are using and provide logs. Also, a savegame would be appreciated, yet I won't be able to load it if you are using other DLCs than Spain and Mongolia.

There is no point of having the same UU for two different civs
If the Austrian UU Landwehr is balanced enough, you should make that change default to the Hungarian mod (not as an add-on)

I personally think that you are right, I would not play my Magyar Mod without the Austria Bugfix. Nevertheless, I don't want to enforce anything on anyone. Both mods can be loaded and installed easily, easier than in Civ4. Just browse to the mod, click the button and on the mods overview page in civ5, select both mods - that's it. No merging of xmls or something, not even messing around with files. This ways, I found it the better solution to provide them separately as users are more flexible this ways.

I'd be willing to give you a decent icon if you tell me your civ colours :p

I appreciate your suggestion very much, Irkalla, but I already successfully requested icons from JanBoruta. He already showed me a preview of the map, so the art is already in progress. Well, it's not the first time that I request something, so I know very well, that people might disappear, have few time or loose interest. This ways, I'll keep you in mind and contact you if necessary. Also, maybe I'll make a Saxony Mod some day and then need some icons. :)

I appreciate your suggestion very much, Irkalla, but I already successfully requested icons from JanBoruta. He already showed me a preview of the map, so the art is already in progress. Well, it's not the first time that I request something, so I know very well, that people might disappear, have few time or loose interest. This ways, I'll keep you in mind and contact you if necessary. Also, maybe I'll make a Saxony Mod some day and then need some icons. :)

He took my job! Damn Poles are taking over this country.

Hey Cool!
Did you decide on the colors?

Not yet. I'll post those screenshots I mentioned, but I don't have any time at the moment. My brother decided to upgrade to Win 8 in the last moment and I am currently working on that. Won't have time tomorrow either.

Okay, I've taken 6 screenshots of possible colouring for Hungary. Seems like Absinthes suggestion about a bright brownish red was not bad at all. Please keep in mind that the writings colour will determine the crosses colour for the icon - I'll make a note about how the icons colouring would be affected by the colours on the screenshot. I can take more screenshots for new combinations or different colour shades, but please, try to be as exact as possible when requesting screenshots as it took me about an hour to take these 6 images hammering on my keyboard as after each colour change I had to restart civ5 to be able to load the freshly compiled mod and minimazing and taking screenshots is a true pain in civ5. It's these things - and the missing multiplayer support for mods - that make me think that civ5 is still in beta if not alpha status. Btw: for some of the combinations, I put cities of other civs with similar colouring next to Budapest for better comparison.

1) Green writing on white background; icon would have green cross on white background.
Spoiler :

2) Red writing on white background; icon would have red cross on white background.
Spoiler :

3) White writing on green background; icon would have white cross on green background.
Spoiler :

4) White writing on red background; icon would have white cross on red background.
Spoiler :

5) Green writing on red background; icon would have green cross on red background.
Spoiler :

6) Red writing on green Background; icon would have red cross on green background.
Spoiler :

Now, feel free to comment!

4, definitely. I like the tone of red you choose for it
That's what I'm using in RFCE, and AFAIK many Civ IV mods use something very similar

I like 5. I think it looks the most unique compared to any of the colors used for the official civs.

I'm afraid the icon would look strange
A green cross on this light red background.. not sure
Cool, could you post some basic icon plans too, with the same colors?

I have prepared a couple of button previews, but please, keep in mind that they are really nothing more than a preview. I'm sure janboruta can do it way better than me. First of all, the icons for the combinations of red and green.

5) Green writing on red background; icon would have green cross on red background.
Spoiler :

6) Red writing on green background; icon would have red cross on green background.
Spoiler :

Till this point, I actually posted the combinations of green and red only to make clear that these are not an option. Yet on steam, there was a comment also supporting these combinations. I'm glad, that I didn't share my opinion when I posted last time, so that your opinions are not influenced by mine. Still, I don't like the colouring above as the brownish bright red gives a dirty look when combined with green. So I started working on the shades of red and green. While doing this, I figured out, that bright shades don't work, they are pretty much causing eye-cancer. Still, keeping both colours dark, I believe I found a setup that might work:

7) Green writing on red background, darker variant; icon would have green cross on red background.
Spoiler :

8) Red writing on green background, darker variant; icon would have red cross on green background.
Spoiler :

I suppose that this debate clearly shows, that using only two colours to represent the civs was a bad decision as it limits the possible combinations. I think that we could have found something really cool if we'd have a third colour, white in this case.

I'm also against the red-green combo
And as I said earlier, green isn't too historical for medieval hungary

Actually I wanted to see the light red-white icon the most, as my opinion is still a definite 4
The only case it may change is if those colors look ugly on the icon

Well, I did not want to say that I am against the red-green-combo in general, I just don't like 5) and 6) due to the shade of red used there. On the other side, 7) might work and of course, is the most unique combo (together with 8)). To be fair with the other combos, I prepared more icons and redone those for 7 and 8 as I had some glow effect for them last time.

1)
Spoiler :

2)
Spoiler :

3)
Spoiler :

4)
Spoiler :

7)
Spoiler :

8)
Spoiler :

So, all in all, I'd say, that 4) gives the best icon. 1) - 3) also give acceptable icon. On the other side, 7) is most unique while giving a passable icon, although the icon could be better. Finally, I'd like to emphasize once more that this mod is not restricted on medieval Hungary as the unique unit shows. We can also discuss about different themes of the icon - as long as they are two coloured. For example, I suggest we take a less bold double-cross, like:
Spoiler :

Alternatively, we might try to melt the Kossuth coat of arms into a round button:
Spoiler :

We'd need to drop some colours though. I could also think of the Turul, yet that would resemble rather more the house of Árpád or the early Hungarians.

Having said all this, I'll wait some days for more opinions. I'd like to hear nitrams opinion especially.

Btw, what leader do you plan to use in the final version?
You will stick to Szent István? Or maybe have an alternate version with Mátyás?
(ehh... CivV with it's dumb only one leader/civ rule :p)

Also, what map do you plan to use?
Tied to the leader, or tied to Hungary's greatest extent?

Well, we had a discussion with janboruta about which borders to use. As I was unsatisfied with what they did with Austria, I did not want to make the same mistakes. On the other side, I didn't want to use present-day Hungarys borders as those would ignore the Hungarians outside Hungary - as Civilization is, or better said should be, about Civilizations rather than countries, I found this solution unacceptable. The final solution is the borders of Hungary around the time of Szent István, although we didn't decide for them because of the leader, at least not initially. It's just less politically misused than the usual kingdom-of-Hungary-borders / Nagymagyarország.
Didn't actually thought about Hungary in its greatest extent - which should be Hungary under Corvinus / Hunyadi Mátyás, yet I don't think they would represent Hungary well.

I was already thinking about an alternative version with Corvinus as leader. Yet it would cause mess as I already have two versions to maintain. Also, after having introduced 2d art, some 3d art will be the next thing I'll focus on. There are no plans about what to do after that and I don't think it would make sense to plan any further than this.
I agree with you that it was another wrong decision introduced with civ5 to restrict leaders to only one per civ. I believe that I read about a bypass for this, maybe I'll spend some time on reading more about it. Yet I think it would affect compatibility of the mod - in this case, I'd wait a bit to see if official patches will improve on this matter as well.

EDIT: Janboruta gave me the permission to share the preview of the map he sent me:

He also sent me previews for the units and the buildings icon as well of two civ icons. If he's fine with that, I'll share them with you, too. Yet I can say that I like them.

And here I am :) I still have to do the Austrian Landwehr icon for the mod, but I have all the other covered. First, the civ icons. I did them without knowledge of the debate about colours. I think that the worn-out red with white letters is the best one (combination nr 4 from post #10) and I can adjust my icon to this colour if I know its exact rgb values. The icons and other images are not in their final dimensions. Full versions will be sent to you tomorrow, when I finish the Austrian Landwehr and adjust the civ icon with colour scheme you choose :)

Spoiler :

Next is the leader, István. Diplo screen uses a photo of some location on the Danube. I couldn't find a better one, but I think that'll do ;)

Spoiler :

Dom image

Spoiler :

István icon

Spoiler :

Vegvar icon

Spoiler :

Huszar icon in two versions

Spoiler :

Top Bottom