Major Cool Unit Request!!

thestonesfan

A Client of Ron Kuby
The unit: A modern howitzer.

The straight dope: This is one unit the game needs, not for flavor or flair, but for actual gameplay. See, the game favors the defenders. To a great extent. Mechanized Infantry is all but invincible. Artillery, the king of the industrial age and counter to the defensive prowess of the infantry, doesn't do much against it. You don't get a new artillery unit until robotics.

The questions: Why did they not provide an offensive counter to the mechanized infantry? It makes great sense to put in an artillery upgrade at the computer tech. Why? Computers really enabled ballistic technology to leapfrog. Artillery became a great deal more lethal.

There are maybe two or three units that remain unmade that I would really love. This is at the top of the list. I think this would be a worthwhile venture for a unit creator, and it would garner them much praise. Cause you know they eat that stuff up! :D

Here are pics of some. I really don't care how it exactly looks, just so long as it looks "modern". Unmanned would be preferred, by me anyway.

Attachments

• how1.jpg
    how1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 127
  • how2.jpg
    how2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2m1a2front.jpg
    2m1a2front.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 1m1a2right.jpg
    1m1a2right.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 80
I should add that I'm well aware of the units that almost fit the bill. Smoking Mirror's Field Artillery comes the closest, and it's a great unit, but it just shoots straight ahead like an Anti-Tank gun, so it doesn't seem like a howitzer.

And I know about the SPA out there, but I'd rather have a traditional gun that looks more like an upgrade to the artillery. And I think these guns are more widely used than SPA, anyway.

If this ever gets made, it would be awesome if it shot two shells per bombard. That would make it look more heavy-duty.

aaglo said:
Two shots per attack!? That's cruel :lol:

But it would be heavy duty! BOOM BOOM! Eat that, Mech Infantry! :spank: :goodjob:

I SUPPOSE I could settle for one shot. But only if you make it, aaglo. ;)

Right on! Probably the only non-cold steel unit request I've ever thought was cool.

Three people support this! It's only a matter of time now!

Don't have anything ready like the guns shown, but i do have the US M102 105mm. I've held off on any artillery until I was happy with towing vehs and crews but if you want it similar to the Civ style arty (ie rolls along on its own) it should'nt be a big prob

Although crews would be nice, a towing anim would be perhaps unnecessairy :)
The crew wouldn't have to do much, except be there for astethic purposes ;)

stone prefers it unmanned, I think. I'm happy with it unmanned too. Does rip even do humanoid animations?

Mithadan said:
stone prefers it unmanned, I think. I'm happy with it unmanned too. Does rip even do humanoid animations?

He made two human units, arabian spearman and swordsman :)

And some/most of his mechanized units have a human inside them ;)

Oh, I forgot he made those arab guys! :blush:

s'okay, I've been trying to forget them maself :) still havn't gotten anywhere near Kinboats mad skills or aaglos skill for including em with units

That looks great. Unmanned and untowed is fine with me!

aaglo is just happy cause you let him off the hook, ripptide!

Now you have no excuse not to make the HMS Victoria. The crown jewel of sailing warships!

Once that is done, maybe we'll let you retire from ship building. :)

Lusikka755 said:
What are you talking about? Edit your post immediately! We don't want aaglo to get bad thoughts in his head. ;)

I only said that to give him incentive to do the Victoria! OF COURSE we won't be unlocking the shackles!

Top Bottom