Major Flaws of Civ 6

Kyro

King
[Note: I'm just going to say these upfront so if you disagree with them don't even bother commenting because you're just plain wrong and any further discussion would be completely pointless. (I'm only refering to the content within the [ ] parentheses here and not the entire post.)

A: CIVILIZATION IS NOT A WAR GAME. War is a part of it yes but not the whole. Sure you can play it Command and Conquer style if you want, but don't shoot down players who actually want to experience the Cultural, Religious, Diplomatic, Economical, Scientific and Wonder aspects of it. I'm just gonna quote Civilization's theme as evidence. "Can you BUILD a CIVILIZATION that will stand the test of time?".

Every time non-warmongers and empire builder players criticise the game for making peaceful play inefficient they are immediately derided for being lazy, noob, etc by Warmongering players who treat Civ 6 like a war game.

More often than not players who make suggestions to buff peaceful play and building aspects get flamed for trying to make the game "easier". Why the heck would you get offended that Players who like to build/develop stuff get to actually build stuff more competitively? You're not even affected because you mostly conquer stuff anyway. This is utterly ridiculous.]

Things that really need to be changed, particularly in the context of Emperor and above difficulty games.

1: War is the New Peace

Many of you should have noticed by now. Much of the game's design culminates towards military conflict and I am sad to say it is all intentional. From the way starts are positioned, to AI's aggressiveness, to gunboat diplomacy, buffs in warmongering and nerfs to peaceful play. The developers went through great lengths to ensure that conflict is the new norm.

Because of that much of the focus of the game's challenge is now centered on War when actually War is just supposed to be part of the challenge.

Ever wondered why the World Congress/Diplomatic Victory doesn't exist in Civ 6? You need a less aggressive playstyle that befriends as many opponents as possible and that is just incompatible with Civ 6's War-hungry Design.

Here is my breakdown of the current state of things.

Warmongering VS Peaceful Play.

Civ 6 Favors War WAY too much(It is too easy and too profitable); to the point where you are penalized for playing peacefully, simply because playing peacefully incurs such an extreme opportunity cost. The reasons being:

a: AI is useless at war, period.

b: AI receives up to 80% production boosts on Deity; meaning they can build districts, buildings and even wonders WAY faster than you; which inevitably makes it much more efficient to capture "pre-built" cities on top of settling your own. Which brings me to the next point.

c: City Capture Penalties.

When you captured a City in Civ 5, there were severe penalties that prevented a player from using the City as if it were their own, at least for a significant period of time. (Revolt, Building Destruction, Happiness/Output Penalties) This was the only mechanism that made Peaceful Play just as viable as Warmongering.

In Civ 6, no such penalties exist. No player in the right state of mind would raze districts if they were planning to capture the city; which means the only unavoidable penalty for occupying cities are damaged city center buildings and some loss in population. (Which isn't really a big deal since Housing is more of an issue than Population Growth.) You can quite literally just conquer a city and it becomes no different from any of your own. (Actually those are most likely better, since AI already built those stuff you're still struggling to.) Yeah you can't grow a City the AI doesn't cede but I have never seen an AI refuse to cede one when it's being exterminated. Sure there is the "Issue" of Warmongering Penalties; but come on we all know that doesn't do much at all.

War weariness is probably the only thing that forces players to sue for peace every now and then. The issue with it is that Players conquer way too fast for it to actually take its toll.

d: Warmongering "Penalties".

First of all the term "Penalties" is very misleading in the game because they don't actually penalize anything crucial at all and is only utilized in the context of Diplomacy.

Diplomatic Relations for the game as a whole are usually terrible anyways; Warmongering Penalty or not. AI denounces you for stupid agendas that don't even make sense and which you don't even have the slightest control over most of the time . (Rome denouncing you early on for not having a big empire. I mean seriously?) War in the late game rarely happens even if the AI hates you and you don't rely on them for anything so relations are unfortunately not very important at all. Iron Curtain all the way~

e: AI Bonuses.

AI receives disgusting bonuses on Deity and peaceful play isn't going to control runaways in any way. It's way too inefficient to race with the AI; it is far better off to cut of their legs so they can't run.

f: Military Production.
In Civ 5 there was actually a balanced opportunity cost to raising armies; namely you have to sacrifice infrastructure etc. in order to do so. Well that opportunity cost is more than halved in Civ 6 thanks to 50% Production Policy Cards as well as Encampment & Militaristic City State Bonuses. You can actually raise a large army and not fall behind much. You can have your Cake and eat it.

g: Tall play is completely nullified.
This was the signature of peaceful play that was the source of most of the advantages of playing peacefully. Housing limittations in early and mid game prevents you from getting an advantage through a larger population by bottlenecking growth.

Districts and Wonders consume workable tiles; essentially reducing poductivity of larger populations.

This forces players to constantly expand and come into direct conflict with the ai's no.1 reason for declaring war; possession of land.

This in turn encourages a large military and no reason not to use it for highly profitable warmongering.

My point being. Warmongering should NOT be more efficient than Peaceful Play; otherwise there is completely no competitive reason to not play Civ 6 Command and Conquer style.

2: Imposed Scarcity of Land.

Start locations are almost always clumped as close to each other as possible; no matter how big the map is so as to encourage more conflict faster.

The amount of effort spent into preventing players from expanding peacefully is disgusting.

3: Pacing and Great People.

a: The early game and mid game ends too early because the AI advances too quickly. More than Half of the Great people don't exist because they don't have a chance to spawn thanks to AI advancements. What is the point of having great people as an integral concept "throughout" the game eras when in actual fact we're just competing with the AI for a limited few after the renaissance?

Part of the reason why game eras progress too quickly is because it is possible to do incredible beelines while completely ignoring other paths of the tech tree. The AI is notorious for doing this and this is partly why they are still using primitive military units in the modern era. You shouldn't be able to advance to an era just because you managed to research 1 specific tech from that era. An additional requirement of researching at least half the technologies or civcs from that era should be imposed and would make much more sense.

I find it ridiculous that the faster the players progress, the less great people are available. Why is the game punishing faster progress by limiting and skipping great people based on eras?

b: Some great people are just plain overpowered and their abilities favour very different victory conditions that their type would suggest. They're all great people; why are some greater than others?

Eg. Mary Leakey. Artifacts in all your cities generate 300% of their normal Tourism

First of all I'd just like to say that +300% is just absurd.

Secondly, who is most likely to get her? Science based Civilizations since GPP for Scientists come from Science Buildings.

Thirdly, who most likely wants/needs her? Cultural Civilizations who most likely aren't as well equipped to compete for her.

Am I the only one who sees how incredibly mismatched these abilities are?

The last two great Merchants are so overpowered for cultural victories they make Great Artists look like children.

Not to mention there are Great People who have very weak abilities compared with their peers from the same era. They by existing take up the chance for the drastically better ones to spawn and more often than not the era just passes without spawning the ones you were waiting for.

c: Great People points. (GPP)

The points generated from Buildings and Wonders are so weak compared to City projects; at least from the Player's perspective. Almost all the great people I get are from City Projects ; I don't remember ever getting a Great/Artist/Musician from buildings alone. This is directly related to point 2a because Great People costs scale with Era and the pace progresses too fast for GPP from buildings to have a significant effect.

This is an issue because the Game misleading presents GPP per turn like it is the main way for acquiring great people through it Wildcard Policies and Wonders when in actual fact it is Production that gets you those Great People.

4. Inflation.

Inflation as a general concept in the game sucks, both with regards to purchasing and production costs. "Too much" is the phrase I would use. What is the point of this really? So much Fun from the Civilization series comes from the experience of seeing your cities getting more and more productive over time; ie you can build/research/buy more over time because of the right decisions that you made many turns before.

Civ 6 effectively ruins this Fun through the use of excessive inflation because now players don't get to see their cities becoming more productive. All they see now is how well they are fighting inflation. What is the fun in that?

This is also a major reason to Warmonger because capturing cities bypasses a lot of purchase/district Inflation. (Also the reason why I feet Aztecs are really strong)

Also, what is the rationale of increasing Purchase Costs for each subsequent purchase? This is particularly punishing for players seeking a Religious Victory; especially on larger maps.

The only way to combat inflating costs which gets worse and worse as the game progresses is to found more cities, but the game penalizes players for expanding late game through phenomenal district costs which are unfortunately part of the inflation problem as well.

5: Religion.

a: I won't elaborate on how dull Religious Victory is because we all know that already and I already expanded on how inflation really hurts that unfairly.

b: It is impossible (You can't compete for one) to found a Religion on Deity if your opponents favor Religion (Unless you're China or Arabia). Basically the only chance of founding one is if the AI isn't actively trying to. Anyone who disagrees can trying playing a Deity Game on small against India, Japan, Russia, Spain and of course Arabia.

Stonehenge is unbuildable on Deity unless you're China. I've seen it go without fail around turn 25, earliest I've seen is turn 20. Which brings me to the next point.

6: Wonders.

More than half the Wonders are very underpowered compared with Wonders in Civ 5. I would even go as far to say that Wonders were intentionally nerfed in Civ 6 so you won't have a Significant advantage building them and won't lose out much if you didn't. Wonders are supposed to give significant advantages, if not what's the point of building them?

Also I'm sick and tired of getting beat to wonders because AI has up to +80% production on higher difficulties.

It is already unfair that they get technologies and civics to unlock wonders at an earlier stage. Production boost on top of that is a no no. There is a huge difference between competing with an unfair advantage vs ZERO competition at all.

I find it utterly ridiculous that the only way you can build a wonder on deity is if the AI doesn't go for it. That totally destroys the fun of building wonders at all because the ultimate answer to this negative experience is always "Don't build wonders at all." (Unless you're China, of course.) You simply can't risk it.

Seriously? Wonders are an Integral part of the game experience and players should have a chance to compete for them at ANY point of the game. And by compete I mean race an AI to completing one; not getting off lucky because the AI isn't gonna build it.There should not be an "Unbuildable" wonder at all. What's the point of having Wonders in the game if the most efficient strategies have to omit them?

AI don't get production boosts to Wonders in Civ 5 and that worked out fine. At least there was still a chance.

Oh and stop with the "Wonders aren't compulsory/important etc etc" arguments please. The bottom line is they are a HUGE PART of the game and should not be considered an "inefficiency" in any general strategy.

AI should not be able to construct Wonders before certain time frames just because they've unlocked it earlier than any human player ever can. Simply put, the criteria for Wonder Construction should be that an EFFICIENT Human Player CAN compete reasonably with the AI for them.

Wonders and Efficiency should not have an Inverse Relationship.

7: Theming Bonuses

Let's face it Great Artists/Musicians don't contribute much to Cultural Victory at all.

Great Musicians are very rare. Great Artists are better but the issue lies with theming their works.

It's extremely difficult to theme an Art Musuem and incredibly easy to theme Artifacts. Yet their themed output is the same. The ease of Artifact theming and collection nullifies any advantage of earning great artists and makes them redundant. It really looks like it is designed in such a way that Cultural Great People don't provide much of an advantage so that players who didn't get them can still catch up and that really defeats the point of trying so hard to earn them.

Who decided that theming bonuses should only apply to Artworks and Artifacts? The lack of theming bonuses for Writing and Music makes them very underpowered.

Also, it would appear that Cultural Wonders were created without Theming Bonuses so that they don't offer significant advanatges.

It's funny how a Hermitage/Broadway fully stocked with Great Works produces less Culture and Tourism than a themed Archaeological Musuem.

8: Diplomacy

Diplomacy is currently a wreck in Civ 6.

a: Most AI Agendas are beyond the player's control and don't even make sense. Case in point? Rome. Trajan hates anyone who has a small empire, because he likes big empires. How does that even make sense? If you like big empires then your greatest enemies are other large empires because they're taking up precious land you could be expanding to. And how is a player supposed to try and meet his agenda? Just try and found more cities like it's just so easy to do so?

Building a friendship with AI is so dependent on chance or so difficult to achieve that it is just not reasonably within the player's control to befriend almost anyone.

By the mid-late game everyone hates everyone else because nobody can meet anybody elese's agendas and this is just ridiculous. Sure you might have a friend/neutral or two because of pure chance but how does that help when everyone else hates you.

The default "everyone will hate you" state of things makes Warmongering Penalties insignificant. They already hate you anyway.

b: Diplomatic Penalties are insignificant.

So what if the AI hates you? At most you can't trade Luxuries with them without getting ripped off but if you ask me that's usually not much of a downside. In fact, even if they made the game in such a way that you can't even send traders to players who hate you it won't be a significant penalty at all.

c: There should be more options available, such as Ultimatums. "Converting my cities is a declaration of War. Settling Right beside me is a Declration of War. " etc. I'm appalled that you can only tell an AI not to settle near you when they've already done so comfortably right beside your capital. I mean how else did the AI expect me to react besides razing that city? To make matters worse after razing that offending city you are immediately labelled a warmonger for the rest of the game. They started it and I can't do anything about it without being hated for the rest of the game?

9: City States

a: City states are still too vulnerable. The AI is way too aggressive against them.There should be penalties for Conquering City States, like loss of Envoys from other city states and even the permanent war against city states for conquering too many.

b: City State Disparity.
It would appear that the production-based City States are intentionally rare just to prevent players from building more competitively. I've never seen more than two even on larger maps and the AI loves to conquer them for some reason.

c: City State Insurgencies.
For some reason City States are always facing rebellions in the late game and it's ridiculous. These Rebel Barbarians always end up spilling over to your lands and there's nothing you can do to eliminate the source without conquering the City State.

d: Reward for being the first to meet a City state.

Remember you tried to balance out starts so everyone has a fair chance? While this completely ruins it. Those +2 outputs for the Capital City can mean a very huge difference and it is completely up to luck whether a player finds them or not.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Some of your complaints are valid but most of them boil down to

"I am complaining about the AI getting too many advantages on Deity"

I agree they do...that is why I don't play it. I would rather play an even footing or close to it. That doesn't really mean that others don't need those crazy advantages to make the game fun for them.

If you don't like those advantages, don't play it.

I agree they do...that is why I don't play it. I would rather play an even footing or close to it. That doesn't really mean that others don't need those crazy advantages to make the game fun for them.

I'm sick and tired of replies like this. 'Don't like it don't play it" Don't like it don't buy it." "Don't like it don't read it."

Does such a way of thinking ever help in A: Acknowledging a problem. B: Solving the Problem? No.This is the most poisonous mindset to improvement in any field because it treats problems like they're minor when they're not.

Playing games on higher and higher difficulties is a standard progression of gameplay for any game that has difficulty levels. If you understand game design you will know that this progression maintains the level of fun and satisfaction that players get from playing the game. At no point should a skilled player ever have to revert to a lower difficulty for more enjoyment. If the player does that it means A: The Fun and Rewarding Experiences of your Game are not scaling properly with the difficulty B: Your Game Difficulty is not balanced.

And you've pretty much ignored my main points altogether by sterotyping everything I've said with a typical whine.

There is a balance issue with the game that forces players to be "Efficient" in ways NOT in line with how the game was envisioned to be or how FUN is derived from playing the game. That is a critical issue that demands a resolution because the very core of what the game is about is being threatened. It would be better for you to suggest how changes can be made than just to say "You don't have to play if you don't like it." Good Day Sir.

+1 And maybe the OP should chill a bit. It's just a game, a form of entertainment, for me at least.

Last edited:
I agree with your point 1a - AI sucks at war. (But that's about it) I don't agree that "warmongering should not be more efficient than peaceful play." I think depending on the game and circumstances, a mix of warmongering and peace should be optimal / efficient. Ie opportunistic warfare. Currently warfare = most efficient in every single game under all circumstances because the AI is so terrible at war and is incompetent even if they have 10x your army with more advanced units.

Well I'm just voicing out what is obviously wrong with the game, pardon me if I sound heated; that's because some people like to put down others who are actively trying to help improve the game by putting down major issues like they're not important. If you're not interested in seeing improvements to the game why bother commenting at all?

If you don't agree with something, back up your point, if not what is there to discuss?

Well I'm just voicing out what is obviously wrong with the game, pardon me if I sound heated; that's because some people like to put down others who are actively trying to help improve the game by putting down major issues like they're not important. If you're not interested in seeing improvements to the game why bother commenting at all?
If you don't agree with something, back up your point, if not what is there to discuss?
I agree with many of your points. The AI is not good at waging war at any level. The warmongering penalties are too severe. Religion is not well implemented. Wonders are too hard to build and not as "great" as they used to be. My disagreement is that you seem to have a problem with the advantages the AI has on deity level. If you don't like the AI advantages on deity, don't play at that level.

Last edited:
I agree with many of your points. The AI is not good at waging war at any level. The warmongering penalties are too severe. Religion is not well implemented. Wonders are too hard to build and not as "great" as they used to be. My disagreement is that you seem to have a problem with the advantages the AI has on deity level. If you don't like the AI advantages on deity, don't play at that level.

So why are you justifying the game? You're basically just telling me to accept things just the way they are. If just don't play at that level and you are satisfied with that then you're just telling the Devs that everything is okay when they're not. I am telling you your proposed "solution" of not playing at that level is a compromise. A compromise that isn't healthy for the game.

I think much of this boils down to the fact that the artificial intelligence in the game isn't intelligent enough, and the programmers don't know how to make it more intelligent, so they implement higher difficulty levels by giving your opponents material advantages, which you then feel to be unfair and no fun.

I also feel that it's unfair and no fun, so I don't play at Deity level, I play at Prince level. In a way, it doesn't really matter how easy it is to beat the programmed opponents, because I play to beat my own previous best score. So my objective is to wallop them harder than I walloped them before.

Another way of increasing the difficulty might be simply to give your opponents more settlers at the start, or more warriors, or both, without changing anything else. That's the way handicapping is commonly done in chess: don't change the rules, just give one player more pieces than the other. I don't know whether it would work in Civ.

The best solution would be to increase the intelligence of your opponents; maybe they'll find a way to do that.

It's a problem that the game is so complicated, with so many things to think about. It's hard for a mere program to think about all those things intelligently in a reasonably short time. One way to tackle this problem could be to design a simpler game. To go back to chess: that's a very simple game, with few rules and few pieces, but people have found it challenging and worth playing for a very long time. I'm not suggesting that Civ should be reduced to the same level of abstraction as chess, but there are inessential complications that could be stripped out without changing the basic nature of the game. I don't suppose anyone will take this suggestion seriously, but I mention it as a possibility.

I agree it's a pity that warfare seems to trump every other way of playing the game. I think this has been a problem with Civ ever since it started.

Things that really need to be changed, particularly in the context of Emperor and above difficulty games.

1: Warmongering VS Peaceful Play.
Civ 6 Favors War WAY too much; to the point where you are penalized for playing peacefully, simply because playing peacefully incurs such an extreme opportunity cost. The reasons being:

a: AI sucks at war, period.

Agree. Warmongering is incredibly profitable and incredibly easy in Civ VI, to the point that Deity loses its challenge. In Civ IV isolated starts are terrible because you have no one to trade with; in Civ VI isolated starts are terrible because you have no one to give you a bunch of cities, districts, settlers, and builders for the cost of just a few archers.

Unfortunately, I don't see a great way to fix this. I doubt the AI will improve significantly soon. I think if Firaxis was capable of coding a competent combat AI they probably would have. You could scrap 1UPT and go back to something the AI is capable of handling, but that means completely overhauling everything and isn't going to happen anytime soon. You could crank up the AI bonuses (and especially their city defense bonuses), but that feels unfair and unfun. There's no easy solution.

3. Inflation.

Inflation as a general concept in the game sucks, both with regards to purchasing and production costs. "Too much" is the phrase I would use. What is the point of this really? So much Fun from the Civilization series comes from the experience of seeing your cities getting more and more productive over time; ie you can build/research/buy more over time because of the right decisions that you made many turns before.

Civ 6 effectively ruins this Fun through the use of excessive inflation because now players don't get to see their cities becoming more productive. All they see now is how well they are fighting inflation. What is the fun in that?

Yeah, the production costs for late-game stuff is definitely a little off. Units are a bit too expensive and wonders are way too expensive. I think units are intended to scale similarly to past Civ games (a Civ IV warrior costs 15 and a Civ VI tank 12 times as much; a Civ VI warrior costs 40 and a Civ VI tank 12 times as much), but in practice they aren't.

Units and wonders can be probably resolved with some minor tweaks. The district cost scaling, on the other hand, is just terrible. I hope Firaxis completely rethinks it.

Agree. Warmongering is incredibly profitable and incredibly easy in Civ VI, to the point that Deity loses its challenge. In Civ IV isolated starts are terrible because you have no one to trade with; in Civ VI isolated starts are terrible because you have no one to give you a bunch of cities, districts, settlers, and builders for the cost of just a few archers.

Unfortunately, I don't see a great way to fix this. I doubt the AI will improve significantly soon. I think if Firaxis was capable of coding a competent combat AI they probably would have. You could scrap 1UPT and go back to something the AI is capable of handling, but that means completely overhauling everything and isn't going to happen anytime soon. You could crank up the AI bonuses (and especially their city defense bonuses), but that feels unfair and unfun. There's no easy solution..

One quick fix could be "make keeping large empires more difficult". Most empires based on rapid conquest fell apart almost as quick as they have been conquered . A mechanism like this is missing

Mary Leakey's 300% is 300% of the base artifact. It is a lot weaker than computers or online communities. Also the AI is USELESS at getting artifacts so that rubbishy 300% is just for you.... But good luck on getting her on Deity. Have a look at the culture guide in tips and tricks for a better leakey ecplanation

A lot of your post is valid, Deity is definately geared toward violence at the beginning

6. City States. That I must include city states in my games is the prime reason I stopped playing Civ IV. I cannot digest the unlogic given that one city can grow into an empire and another must stay a city state.

I agree to the fact that war is the only way to play this game properly. It's really one-sided. I'm okay with the wonders, you couldn't build the Great Library in 5 either and the wonders now are even weaker than in the previous entries. I tend to ignore them completely. Maybe we can all agree on Firaxis having a lot of work to do, before this one gets as good as 4 or 5 (or 1 or 2).

6. City States. That I must include city states in my games is the prime reason I stopped playing Civ IV. I cannot digest the unlogic given that one city can grow into an empire and another must stay a city state.

Places like Vatican City, Monaco, and Singapore exist. I don't understand the nature of this complaint.

Places like Vatican City, Monaco, and Singapore exist. I don't understand the nature of this complaint.
I do not oppose against the existance of one city civilizations but against the concept that certain one city civilizations cannot expand into multiple city civlizations. The older civilizations used to start from city states, but from there they would expand into true civilizations. Best example; Rome. I oppose to the concept that when the city of Delhi is founded it can expand into an Indian civilization while a city like Amsterdam, which is founded around the same time in the game, is not allowed to expand into a Dutch civilization. City states like Monaco do not exist because they didn't have the logical possibility to develop into multiple city civilizations but because they didn't have the oppertunity. And in Civ VI I oppose against that lack of logical possibility.

In Civ V (or was it IV?) city states could be included or excluded by choice. I do not even ask for city states to be eliminated from the options. Lovers can include them. But give the haters (like me) at least the option to exclude them from the game.

Last edited:
In Civ V (or was it IV?) city states could be included or excluded by choice. I do not even ask for city states to be eliminated from the options. Lovers can include them. But give the haters (like me) at least the option to exclude them from the game.

Instead of excluding them, why not giving them the opportunity to become full civs? I made in an other thread the suggestion, that barbarian camps may become CS when left alone for long and the starting place is good. And that CS can become full civs after some time ( and maybe as a second condition if other civs droped out of the game ) in cases where they have enough viable space around them to expand. I think that would bring in more dynamic in the game. Many civs we actually have did not exited in 4000 BC, so I think a mechanic that let new civs emerge in later game make sense IMHO

The main argument against most of this that I would make is that Deity is supposed to be hard, if not almost impossible. I mean, I don't think I ever even attempted Deity on civ 4 because you practically had to know everything of the game inside and out. The fact that a large number of people are able to beat the game at Deity might mean it's even too easy as it stands now. Sure, it could be rebalanced in a different way (maybe the AI bonuses should scale more per era, so they get a less huge boost at the start, but a bigger boost later in the game, so the human can theoretically actually build stonehenge sometimes), but it should always be hard to play at. But yeah, it should still be possible for a good start human to actually be able to build something like stonehenge, although the AI should still beat you to it most of the time.

I do agree that war is too profitable. Even if they just brought back having occupied cities cost you a fortune in maintenance or amenities until you could build a courthouse like in past games, that would at least give a little penalty for warmongering. Or maybe even something as punishing as having you to "rebuild" or "repair" every district in a captured city, that would certainly stop captured cities from coming online as early.

The main argument against most of this that I would make is that Deity is supposed to be hard, if not almost impossible. I mean, I don't think I ever even attempted Deity on civ 4 because you practically had to know everything of the game inside and out. The fact that a large number of people are able to beat the game at Deity might mean it's even too easy as it stands now. Sure, it could be rebalanced in a different way (maybe the AI bonuses should scale more per era, so they get a less huge boost at the start, but a bigger boost later in the game, so the human can theoretically actually build stonehenge sometimes), but it should always be hard to play at. But yeah, it should still be possible for a good start human to actually be able to build something like stonehenge, although the AI should still beat you to it most of the time.

I do agree that war is too profitable. Even if they just brought back having occupied cities cost you a fortune in maintenance or amenities until you could build a courthouse like in past games, that would at least give a little penalty for warmongering. Or maybe even something as punishing as having you to "rebuild" or "repair" every district in a captured city, that would certainly stop captured cities from coming online as early.

Capturing cities should auto-pillage the districts. This is a good idea.

I don't think this is an accurate assessment. Issues with religion and great people stem not from the AI's bonuses being powerful but from the AI's bonuses being front loaded. As it stands now, the AI zips through the early eras incredibly fast but stalls out once it gets into the mid game. Removing some of the AI's start bonuses and replacing them with bonuses to science, production etc. over time would make religious competition fairer and allow more classical and medieval era GP to be earned while at the same time making the AI a much greater threat beyond the first 50-100 turns.

Top Bottom