1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Major Hurricane Irene

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Singularity, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

I'd rather see the cast of Jersey Shore ignore Christie's "stay off the beach" rants :D

2. zjl56

zjl56 Emperor

Ya.. The wind does its damage but the flash floods that can come even hours after the storm pass usually kill just as a much or more.

3. NetGear

NetGear King

any updates on where the hurricane is headed? Last i heard, they said it was weakening. So hopefully my weekend wont be a living hell.

4. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

More than a million people without power. National Guard is on notice.

That's not gonna help keep the trees upright. But yeah, you're lucky the worst of the wind is gonna stay offshore.

I can't get over how large that man is.

5. LucyDuke

Only a bit west of previous predictions.

6. Singularity

Singularity Infinite Density

First I was surprised it didn't strengthen more than it did between Bahamas and NC. Now I'm surprised how slow it's weakening considering half the hurricane is over continental USA.

I guess Joecoolyo has the right of it with it maintaining hurricane status longer than normal after landfall.

BTW, anyone know when natural high tide would be in NYC?

7. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

My mom just bought something like $300 of groceries (I didn't know we had that much money). That means it probably won't hit.

8. NetGear

NetGear King

If you're in ny, plz don't. Call to report/ask every little trivial crap. We need to actually have people available for real work. The hysteria about this storm is getting a bit annoying.

And we're not even hit yet. Jfhc.

9. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

I'm curious as to which brands were still on the shelf (can't really tell except for the batteries and the single pen light being the only 'flashlight' left). Are the last products remaining (water, bread, milk, etc) the normally expensive stuff or the cheaper stuff (or in the case of the bread is it the not-so common stuff like rye and sourdough)?

10. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Still plenty of 9V batteries, though.

Nobody likes 9V batteries anymore. :(

11. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Wouldn't that be "JHFC"? The alternative seems kinda confusing.

12. LucyDuke

Yeah, sorry about the quality. You got it, it's the funky high-fiber cardboard bread and the imported fancy water and "water beverages" that are left. The Wonderbread and gallon jugs of water go first. People actually start going for hamburger buns before some of the weirder breads. The milk, I'm surprised to see so much left... I don't really know the difference between the brands of regular milk, but the soy milk type stuff is left. With the paper plates, the cheapo ones were gone, there was plenty of fancy printed ones and foam ones.

It's pretty quiet here right now. The rain's let up for a bit. I don't expect to see anything remotely interesting until well after midnight, it'll probably start getting windy in the wee hours.

Hurricane-spawned tornado in Maryland reported to have destroyed 17 homes, won't be confirmed until daylight.

13. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Long Island power outages are starting...my houses's power is going on and off

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I'll take Oatmeal or any #'ed Grain bread over Wonderbread any day. These guys don't know how to prep for a storm.

I'm getting a little giddy with excitement; it should hit Boston tomorrow afternoon. I plan to sit by a window and watch the action, maybe sip on a fine beverage, and read a book. :D

By the way, I used to live down South and suffered under Category 3's and such, so I think people freaking out over a Cat 1 up here are overreacting. Although the pressure is endemic of a worse storm and it's slow-moving, by the time it goes over even more land (Connecticut and Rhode Island), I don't think it will be that bad up in Boston.

Best wishes to anyone further south on the coast--you guys along the Mid-Atlantic took the brunt for us.

15. LucyDuke

Providence, Rhode Island - Wind and rain are picking up. I'm awful with scales, but judging by this, we're getting gusts around 30mph. My forecasts are for a peak around 60mph tomorrow an hour or two after noon.

The relevant radar loop, this will refresh every 10 minutes at reloads. (If I can hotlink it?)

I hate streetlights generally, but there's this one cool one. A tree sticks out between it and my window, so the shadows of the tree's branches dance in silhouette on the window. And boy, they're dancing.

Gonna sleep shortly. I really hope I have power when I wake up!

16. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

Reporting live from Atlantic County!

Anyway, the storm passed us and it could have been much much worse. No damage that we know of besides a bunch of leaves and sticks everywhere, and we miraculously lost power for only a few hours. The storm's still supposed to spin around and backstab us, but if the first half was any indication, I think we'll be doing just fine.

On the other hand, we heard their were tornadoes northwest of us. :eek:

17. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Irene,

Y U hit Manhattan?!

18. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Because the Yankees Suck so bad, they even pull hurricanes toward them. :lol:

19. NetGear

NetGear King

My 12hr shift changed to 16. Wtf is the point of going home then? I'm just gonna go home to get sleeping bag and tooth brush. So ican live in this office for next few weeks.

20. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

You people are making a big deal out of nothing. Learn to Hurricane New York!