Majority religion not generating pressure?

Blkbird

King
The city state of Jerusalem, with no majority religion:
religous_pressure_before.png

After my missionary has spread Catholicism and made it the majority religion:
religous_pressure_after.png

The next turn:
religous_pressure_next.png

According to the Civilopedia (Game Concepts > Religion > Spreading Religion):

... Any city that has a majority Religion ... exerts pressure ...

Why is Jerusalem still exerting Buddhist pressure and no Catholic pressure even after it has turned Catholic?

Catholicism never was the majority religion of the Jerusalem CS: There were 4 followers of Catholicism out of 8 total pop -- there would have had to be at least 5 for it to be the majority religion.

You are completely misunderstanding how pressure works and what the tooltip is telling you. A city with majority religion will exert pressure on surrounding cities in range (10 tiles normally, but 13 tiles with Itinerant Preachers). A city without a majority religion will not export any pressure.

In any event, a tooltip telling you what pressure a city is exporting would be useless information -- only the majority religion exerts pressure and it's always the same number = +6 pressure at Standard speed (Religious Texts is a different single number, depending on whether Printing Press has been researched, and Holy City with Grand Temple will export double the base number).

When you tooltip a city, what it displays is the pressure that city is experiencing/receiving from other cities with a majority religion in range. Here, because none of your Christian cities is in range of Jerusalem, there is no Christian pressure, even after you zapped it with a Missionary to get a few followers. Even if the city was majority Christian, it would not exert pressure on itself -- pressure only comes from other cities (again, exception for Holy City, which has its own special internal pressure).

The tooltip also shows 45 pressure from Buddhism. This tells me that Buddhism has Religious Texts and Printing Press (for +9 pressure from each city) and that 5 Buddhist cities are in range of Jerusalem (5 x 9 = 45 pressure).

Catholicism never was the majority religion of the Jerusalem CS: There were 4 followers of Catholicism out of 8 total pop -- there would have had to be at least 5 for it to be the majority religion.

1. Right before my missionary spread the religion, the tooltip plainly says, "after this, Catholicism will be the majority Religion";
2. As you can see in the second screenshot, Jerusalem's nameplate has gained the Catholic cross - clear evidence that it has indeed become the majority religion.

The tooltip also shows 45 pressure from Buddhism. This tells me that Buddhism has Religious Texts and Printing Press (for +9 pressure from each city) and that 5 Buddhist cities are in range of Jerusalem (5 x 9 = 45 pressure).

I can assure you that:

1. Buddhism doesn't have Religious Text - I have it;
2. It doesn't have Printing Press, either, because I don't have it (in fact, I'm still a few techs away from being able to research it at that time) even though I eclipse all other civs in terms of technology;
3. There are no 5 Buddhist cities around.

I'm playing Quick speed, maybe that threw you off.

Thanks for the explanation of the tooltip, though. That does totally make sense now.

You have misinterpreted the Civilopedia :) I made the exact same mistake when G&K came out. You see, majority religion doesn't exert pressure on the city it's in, but it does on all cities within 10 tiles of it (13 if the religion has IP). They probably designed it this way as an easy out for Holy City pressure--can't have it exerting 30 pressure on all cities within 10 tiles :lol: If it did work this way, though, you could exert a maximum of 180 pressure from a single city (Byzantium with Religious Texts and Religious Unity after Printing Press with the Grand Temple built on a friendly city-state) :wow:

I can assure you that:

1. Buddhism doesn't have Religious Text - I have it;
2. It doesn't have Printing Press, either, because I don't have it (in fact, I'm still a few techs away from being able to research it at that time) even though I eclipse all other civs in terms of technology;
3. There are no 5 Buddhist cities around.

I'm playing Quick speed, maybe that threw you off.

Thanks for the explanation of the tooltip, though. That does totally make sense now.

Yeah, base per-city pressure on Quick is 9, so if Jerusalem is experiencing 45 Buddhist pressure, there must be 5 Buddhist cities within range (or 4 cities, one of which is the Buddhist Holy City with Grand Temple). You just have to find them.

Top Bottom