Make sure Windows is up to date

IronKnight

Master of Disaster
Like some others, Civ 6 wouldn't start for me this morning (on release day). I'm running WIndows 8.1, and purchased Civ6 through Stream. The game was installed earlier this week and everything seem to be ready. Alas, when I clicked "play" this morning the program wouldn't start. No error messages, it just didn't start. Frustrated, I went online to find a solution. I'll cut to the chase... I found a suggestion to make sure that Windows was currently up to date. I checked my computer and found that I was out of date... WAY out of date. So I spent a few hours and downloaded then installed all of the updates, and restarted when prompted. This story has a happy ending as now I can play the game. I haven't actually played yet, but I did watch the opening video and got to the startup screen. I wanted to go online and post my story first. While this won't fix everybody's problems, I hope it can help a lot of people.

If you don't know how to check if Windows is up to date, try the following in 8.1 (other versions will be similar)
1. Right click on Windows button in lower right corner
2. Select "Control Panel"
3. Select "Windows Update"
4. From there, follow any prompts to update your computer

Good luck and happy Civing!!!

Top Bottom