making an apocalyptic mod.

Spoiler Ruins #7 General ship repair :

upload_2022-7-4_17-50-4.jpeg

this one i have included a dds file.
i need to recolor add some rust color to things make the building look dirtier and old.
the model itself needs a ground decal.
im thinking i should maybe add more construction equipment like a large crain.

this is just a test look i still need to set it too show up always facing the water.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about world wonder.

I think i should do a metropolis type deal for the late game.

Using the 3 alien city models i previously posted for the aliens.
having that one progress through the 3 models getting larger. i probably wont make a progression for the rest.

Using this one as a human one.
Ill make more if that's a good idea.

mutants and tyrranids civilizations probably get these.
but those civilizations will be way more militarily focused, the mutants more then the tyrranids.
I'm really not sure if i can do those or not it would require having an imagination. and i don't have one.

Spoiler Metropolis human 1 :

The city doesn't have a dds file yet and needs a lot of work in blender.
but here's a sneak peak
i think i should also add some sort of floating thing to the middle to top it off.
Some of the model surface is flipped inside out and needs to be fixed.
upload_2022-7-5_14-36-14.jpeg

Spoiler Metropolis Human 2 idea The Mega center :

upload_2022-7-5_16-3-10.png

If i introduce this one it would be a mid game metropolis probable one of the first ones.
i can make this one progress through the eras.
i can start with the center, and a few building then add more and more to the full city you see.

Does this one look and sound good or not?

im thinking of making a few spots in-between the roads and building that are blank into parks

Last edited:
I've liked this model ever since i laid eyes on it.

Help me come up with a reason and a story as to why this is in the apocalypse.

i want to make this a starting capital for a civilization

tell me if you like it or not

i would like to have a few civilizations that start off kinda technologically advanced civilizations
that seemed like they some how survived the apocalypse one way or another.

I was thinking some sort of mad turtle obsessed scientists civ leader for this one.
"they called him mad when he built turtletopia to survive the apocalypse.
History would show Its those who denied the coming apocalypse who were truly mad, unable to see the inevitable"

Help me come up with a better background for this piece or tell me if its a dumb idea?

Spoiler :

upload_2022-7-6_15-59-5.jpeg

"is it turtley enough for the turtle club? turtle! turtle!" lol

I also have a fantasy version if any one is interested in fantasy variant. its on alive turtle not a robot one

i might go the route of making this civ an aquatic civilization starting in the under water turtle city and getting access to ocean cities earlier. not starting off with that capability. but starting off with one ocean city with out the ability to found more right away. they will have to attempt to gain a foot hold on the land for early expansion. but unlike other civs they start off able to traverse the ocean like Polynesia. so they could snag some early islands with little to contest them.

ocean city code examples found here.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321319743

Last edited:
Desert Raider capital Building.
how's it look
i have 3 different variants. they are all slightly different. the difference is only in the sref i used
which one looks better i like Letter C
which one do you all like?

Spoiler A :

upload_2022-7-6_22-2-7.jpeg

Spoiler B :

Spoiler C :

You have quite the imagination with some of this stuff. I really hope your mod works out. I wish more people were interested in mine.

Now, to address some of the things you wrote.

I'm afraid actually that there probably aren't any good aerial views of Black Mesa. Huge on the inside, but I don't think there were any good views from the outside. In that regard, I think it's probably very similar to Civ 5's Petra wonder.

I've never heard of the Lotus Temple or Eden Project--they look amazing! They should be wonders for the rest of Civ 5 probably.

Now, here was something I was looking for last week for you but couldn't find:

https://greg.org/archive/2008/08/04...-mines-are-alive-with-the-sound-of-music.html

This is from a scene early in The Postman. The evil army watches The Sound of Music in a big strip mine. And you were talking about having a giant crater or acid pit. What you're describing sounds a whole lot like that.

Here's an idea for your fallout bug: maybe you could create alternate versions of all the standard features. There's forests, jungles, marshes, etc, so just add in radiated forests, jungles, marshes, etc. Not sure if that would work or not because the game would have to know to replace a forest feature with a radiated forest, a jungle with a radiated jungle, etc.

You might also consider variable fallout strength--some that do 5 damage a turn, some 10, some 20 or 30.

If you're going to make a garbage island or something, I would say it should probably be a detrimental feature, reducing the food of whatever tile it's on.

I think the turtle fits right in with the rest of the mod. If you're going to have all these different apocalyptic natural wonders and everything, why not a giant metal turtle too?

And again, you could reserve some of these for a separate mod if you feel it necessary.

For the desert raider capital, I think I prefer the color of the first one. It looks the reddest to me, and I think it should probably be redder still. I'd make it bigger though if you can.

Ok, last thing.

Once again, how do you zoom in so close? What setting do you use to do that? Is it some particular editor or something?

You have quite the imagination with some of this stuff. I really hope your mod works out. I wish more people were interested in mine.

Now, to address some of the things you wrote.

I'm afraid actually that there probably aren't any good aerial views of Black Mesa. Huge on the inside, but I don't think there were any good views from the outside. In that regard, I think it's probably very similar to Civ 5's Petra wonder.

I've never heard of the Lotus Temple or Eden Project--they look amazing! They should be wonders for the rest of Civ 5 probably.

Now, here was something I was looking for last week for you but couldn't find:

https://greg.org/archive/2008/08/04...-mines-are-alive-with-the-sound-of-music.html

This is from a scene early in The Postman. The evil army watches The Sound of Music in a big strip mine. And you were talking about having a giant crater or acid pit. What you're describing sounds a whole lot like that.

Here's an idea for your fallout bug: maybe you could create alternate versions of all the standard features. There's forests, jungles, marshes, etc, so just add in radiated forests, jungles, marshes, etc. Not sure if that would work or not because the game would have to know to replace a forest feature with a radiated forest, a jungle with a radiated jungle, etc.

You might also consider variable fallout strength--some that do 5 damage a turn, some 10, some 20 or 30.

If you're going to make a garbage island or something, I would say it should probably be a detrimental feature, reducing the food of whatever tile it's on.

I think the turtle fits right in with the rest of the mod. If you're going to have all these different apocalyptic natural wonders and everything, why not a giant metal turtle too?

And again, you could reserve some of these for a separate mod if you feel it necessary.

For the desert raider capital, I think I prefer the color of the first one. It looks the reddest to me, and I think it should probably be redder still. I'd make it bigger though if you can.

Ok, last thing.

Once again, how do you zoom in so close? What setting do you use to do that? Is it some particular editor or something?

I didn't see you ask until now sorry about the delay.
To change your zoom level go to...
Documents/my games/sid Meier's civilization 5
Then in that folder find the config.ini file.
Then in that file find minimum zoom level change it to be a lower number I use 1.5
I'll aslo pm you that.

Again some great feed back from you thank your for the picture and ideas.

I like the different fallout levels ideas.

Ill use the first varient of the desert raider capital.

I'll see about recoloring Petra or doing a Petra like structure for the black mesa

Thanks for the comment you are really helping me out discussing this and talking it out with me.
It really helps the ideas to flow.

Last edited:
I would really love to learn unit rigging.
I've made a few attempts that failed.
But once I do get it the first thing I want to do is add a bunch of opacolyptic vehicles for the desert raiders faction I really pictured them being sorta mad max style and vehicle based.

I have a few things Ideas for them that would just be some reskins of units for them, but it would be nothing compared to what I could add if I figure this out.

Here's my take on project Edan.

here is a pic of the real one to compare

Spoiler :

I didn't go full on recreation. i changed out some things. i didn't not included the tent looking building in the center. i changed a other few things.
I don't feel like i need to go full on exact replica.
i wanted wanted to rip off the look a little bit but i mainly want to take the idea the Eden project represents some how and mix it in the game.

i think it should be some sort of world wonder perhaps.
or it could be put in as a natural wonder so people can find it and benefit in that random chance kind of way. sorta like Eldorado maybe not as powerful or and not having the gold benefit it would have to be a different benefit.

Here you can read about project Edan
https://www.edenproject.com/visit

To change your zoom level go to...
Documents/my games/sid Meier's civilization 5
Then in that folder find the config.ini file.

Now that's really great to know. I'll have to go through that config file carefully some time, see what interesting stuff is in it.

Thanks for the comment you are really helping me out discussing this and talking it out with me.
It really helps the ideas to flow.

I'm glad to help out. Hopefully it will also start to bring in other people to this thread as well. Heaven knows I can only go so far when it comes to this kind of stuff.

You know, maybe you should try to post this to the General Discussion forum too? You're likely to get a completely new set of eyes on it.

All I can say beyond that is I'm impressed by your work. I really don't understand how Civ 5 graphics work, but it looks you've got the hang of it. I love your Project Eden graphics. Project Eden just looks amazing . . . and actually that reminds me, in Chrono Trigger there are a few post-apocalyptic domes you can go to, like Arris Dome:

20-019.png

One more thing, on the topic of graphics, do you think you'd be willing to do a little artwork modding for me? I've had a few small ideas, but I really don't know how to implement them myself. Nor do I know how long it would take to implement them. If so, I'd just ask that you upload them to the Steam Workshop and give me a credit for the ideas. Do you think you'd like to take a swing at it?

Now that's really great to know. I'll have to go through that config file carefully some time, see what interesting stuff is in it.

I'm glad to help out. Hopefully it will also start to bring in other people to this thread as well. Heaven knows I can only go so far when it comes to this kind of stuff.

You know, maybe you should try to post this to the General Discussion forum too? You're likely to get a completely new set of eyes on it.

All I can say beyond that is I'm impressed by your work. I really don't understand how Civ 5 graphics work, but it looks you've got the hang of it. I love your Project Eden graphics. Project Eden just looks amazing . . . and actually that reminds me, in Chrono Trigger there are a few post-apocalyptic domes you can go to, like Arris Dome:

View attachment 633902

One more thing, on the topic of graphics, do you think you'd be willing to do a little artwork modding for me? I've had a few small ideas, but I really don't know how to implement them myself. Nor do I know how long it would take to implement them. If so, I'd just ask that you upload them to the Steam Workshop and give me a credit for the ideas. Do you think you'd like to take a swing at it?

Ya actual I have thread I'll link below and I can post them to the workshop. But you can just pm if you'd prefer.
I should have mentioned the thread to you sorry about that.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/im-taking-for-requests-for-models.677754/#post-16304568

thunder dome

The thunder dome will probably be a world wonder and appear smaller when i use it as that.

which looks better
V1 or V2 and with which texture.

not all the texture went on the thunder dome very well i imagined.
i might try some more one day and get rid of the duds

Spoiler Thunder Dome V1 :

upload_2022-7-13_13-27-37.jpeg

Spoiler Another uncolored Runes Feature :

remember will be coloring these at a later date after adding vehicles (or more vehicles) rumble piles, craters, light poles and other stuff if and when needed.
these pictures are rough drafts
upload_2022-7-13_14-18-37.jpeg

Ill eventual get into redoing the ground tiles. and come up with a waste land look for all the land types.

has any one play civilization beyond earth? i have an idea for something cool that could work.
the xenomass looks cool. i picture it with some radio-active barrels and making it a nuclear dumping ground tile.
its needs a better name. something a little shorter.

Spoiler xenomass :

game play ideas

Could negatively effect the humans and aliens factions.
mutants could benefit from it.
the hive faction (tyrranid/civ beyond earth alien faction) maybe they should benefit from it too

im getting ahead of myself im only on art creation. but that could be an idea

Eden Project makes it into the game.
Took some time to line everything up the domes kept showing small gaps in game that i couldn't see it blender. i fixed that and here it is. its a little to big and needs to be shrunk down.

This is the mossy version i came up with. I have a cleaner set of textures i could use for a regular modern day version. but this one looks more abandoned looking but still somewhat nice looking.
I think i need to add some tree and flowers and some sort of stuff to make it look more like an apocalyptic oasis of plant life that has somehow remained

Spoiler First Look at The Eden Project :

upload_2022-7-14_20-5-19.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll check out that thread you linked. But your graphics really look like they're coming along.

Ok, for the Thunderdome I think I prefer your v1, and probably the third picture you have.

For Eden Project, I think if I were you I would make some of the tiles on the surface of the domes closer to the grounder greener, with some moss, ivy and stuff. Then leave most of the tiles near the middle the same as they are now. Then, make several of the tiles on the very top more reflective, even bluish--most of the tiles on top I would say. And maybe, out of the 100 or so tiles that are visible, have 3-4 of them cracked and partly missing, and 3-4 completely missing.

Fallen Titan Resource

fallen titan needs to be slightly bigger i think. ill do that in blender i want most things to come in at a 1.0 art defines scale.

eventually ill fine tune the scale in civ's art defines im thinking some where between 0.7-0.8, but for not I'm keeping every art define at scale 1.0
ill rescale everything to an appropriate size later when i have everything into the game. and i can rescale it all at once but for now everything is staying 1.0 so i can a sure every building is the correct scale to every other building in my feature like the ruins and abandoned buildings.

besides the art define scale. i also think ill shrink the building in the bottom left corner in blender its a little to big now that ive looked at it longer.

Attachments

• 20220718155927_1.jpg
    20220718155927_1.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220718155917_1.jpg
    20220718155917_1.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
having a graphical issue with the improvement.

in the pictures you can see new improvement for the fallen titan resource removes the ruins but other improvements do not.
Ive noticed some if civs improvements remove my ruins features and some do not.
but what i need to figure out is how and why.
i don't have a picture but the improvement is not set to remove anything if placed in a forest the forest is completely intact and nothing removed.
it doesn't have a landmark_shader stencil assigned in nexus buddy to clear the trees or anything.

the ruins are still there from the game point of view its still considered a ruins tile, but the improvement is making the ruins invisible.

I'm wondering why some improvements render the ruins invisible and some don't.

I'm not seeing any real coding differences or any setting that that causes this. its not due to any remove feature setting as that is only for the purpose of being able to build it making the feature removal a requirement. even that would remove the feature from the tile completely not just make it invisible.

if i cant figure this out that's a major problem that will require a huge and confusing work around method I don't want to use.
requiring an improvement for every possible ruins tile that re-adds the ruins graphic on every ruins tile it could be built on.

that right there breaks the game feature of being able to tear down ruins similarly to chopping down the forest. which is a feature i really, really want in this mod.
that feature would no longer be possible if the ruins are re-added to the improvement
unless i come up with yet another work around using an lua to swap out the improvement with the ruins for the improvement with out the ruins if the ruins are torn down like chopping down the a forest.
i really want people to be able to remove the ruins just like tree. i want some improvements that sit in the ruins if they are there i want some improvements that require the remove of the ruins before its built just like some of civs improvements with the forests.

if i cant figure this out its just gonna add to the coding nightmare this mod will be and make it very complicated and confusing graphic wise

Attachments

• 20220718155806_1.jpg
    20220718155806_1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220718155811_1.jpg
    20220718155811_1.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220718155832_1.jpg
    20220718155832_1.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220718155917_1.jpg
    20220718155917_1.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220718155927_1.jpg
    20220718155927_1.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I do agree the Fallen Titan needs to be bigger. Even if you have 2 or 4 or 6 of them on the tile, it's too small.

if i cant figure this out that's a major problem that will require a huge and confusing work around method I don't want to use.
requiring an improvement for every possible ruins tile that re-adds the ruins graphic on every ruins tile it could be built on.

That would certainly suck. Building mods is tough enough when everything goes right. I feel like we need more skilled mod builders with some of these things.

But, I do have one idea. Sometime ago I came across this mod. I have yet to actually use it in-game, but I want to at some point. Could this help you out?

Top Bottom