Making Great Prophets useful in the later game

Sword_Of_Geddon

Arbiter of the Sword
I'm sure many of you, in a mod or not, have run into the problem of having lots of Great Prophets spawn, but have no use for them.

Some mods, like Xyth's History Rewritten, overhauled the religious civics into a new tenet system, which was an interesting take.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

I added a "Religious Academy" at the Theology tech, which is buildable only by Great Prophets. It boosts research, gold, and culture. Another good idea I've read about is a Televangelism building in the modern era.

Another good idea I've read about is a Televangelism building in the modern era.
That is a good idea indeed but what should be the concept?
Hmmm...
I think I will use it to give free Universal Church (Secular civic) in every city.
Thanks

"Religious Academy" is a good idea.

Another idea for modern times is charities. Although not all modern charities are religious(just as not all Academy's historically were founded by scientists). It would be a building that would represent all sorts of charities or things related to them. Like homeless shelters, centers to raise money for veterens, children etc.

One more idea I have:
In the modern era or rather under Secular civic (or whatever when you have religious freedom without a state :religion:) you could receive Great Philosopher instead of a G.Prophet. G.Philosopher could do everything that Great Prophets and Great Scientists do.

My mod has a Great Statesman which has the following abilities:
- remove anarchy
- force peace with another civilisation at war
- improve relations with another civilisations at peace

All of them could also work for a Great Prophet as well I think. Other ideas:
- strong temporary boost in happiness or health (charity, healing the sick)
- reducing/removing war weariness

My implementation is in the DLL, so depends on what you consider easy to merge. A good starting point is in CvUnit.cpp with canResolveCrisis(), resolveCrisis(), canDiplomaticMission() and diplomaticMission(), from there you should find your way to other changes like XML integration etc. It also has AI in CvUnitAI.cpp with the same terminology. I've just seen there is some code in there that is DoC specific to interact with other custom rules, so if in doubt just ask me via PM. It should also be possible to replicate the effect in Python if you prefer, not sure about the AI though.

Edit: from looking at the code I remembered that I also added the ability to mass convert surrounding cities to their religion, you can find that at canGreatMission() and greatMission(). Mod specific baggage also applies here.

Last edited:
I have also implemented unit abilities in Python only, you basically only have to add the button to the interface and then trigger the desired effect when it's pressed. Plus checks if the action is valid etc. Obviously none of that covers the AI aspect.

I usually prefer DLL for exactly that reason, it's more systematic and integrates on the "inside" with XML and established game mechanics. The Python solution is more on the "outside" by tacking it on to the interface.

Top Bottom