"Making of Civilization" livestream Feb 13, 2pm ET

There are still old mechanics from Civ IV that haven't been adapted, like Corporations, Health/disease, and vassalage.
I would definitely like to see a return of vassalage, along with colonization on different continents perhaps leading to revolution and independence if the loyalty and happiness issues are bad enough on the distant continent.

But instead of just becoming "Free Citizens" who attack everyone, they could become some kind of greater city state, with multiple cities, which could interact with the entire world.

There are still old mechanics from Civ IV that haven't been adapted, like Corporations, Health/disease, and vassalage.

To be honest, quite a few reviewers are pointing out that Civ6 is already quite feature-heavy. I mean, just look at the different yield types (of course in a very broad sense, but just to make a point); food, gold, production, culture, science, faith, tourism, loyalty, diplomatic favour, grievances, era score, GPP of all types, all the different strategic resources, amenities, housing, power, emissions, envoys, government titles, trade route slots and great work slots. I'm not sure Civ6 can handle many more added mechanics to be honest. What I would like to see is more coherent interaction between the different mechanics. For example a non-powered city in the later eras could affect amenities or loyalty. As of now there are a whole lot of systems that feel slightly disconnected. But again, I need to play GS to see for myself.

Oh, I think most agree that there is a quite big chance this is the last major expansion for Civ6 if that's what you mean. It has surpassed Civ5 both in term of features and number of civs. But from experience, there will be a whole lot of patches post GS even if this is the case. I believe Civ5 got its last official patch 15 months post Brave New World launch.

I would want to disagree though, since several mainstays of the series are not in the expansion, and I feel there's still some opportunities to make with regards to the mechanics. At least, I hope we could get another expansion.

I'm also hoping for another expansion. We don't have GS yet but from the outside looking in most of the features still seem a bit all over the place and not too intertwined together. Like the game could do with some more polish more than anything. I guess we are going to find out once we get to play it

I am really looking forward to this livestream, for an insight into the behind the scenes moments (also it is the last 5am stream before release)

There are a few features only available in scenarios in Civ 6 that I'd like to see make it across to the base game, for example gold and the awesome Egyptian temple design in the Nile scenario.

I mentally view silver as "precious metals." I also treat wheat as a stand-in for millet, barley, rye, corn, etc.

To be honest, quite a few reviewers are pointing out that Civ6 is already quite feature-heavy. I mean, just look at the different yield types (of course in a very broad sense, but just to make a point); food, gold, production, culture, science, faith, tourism, loyalty, diplomatic favour, grievances, era score, GPP of all types, all the different strategic resources, amenities, housing, power, emissions, envoys, government titles, trade route slots and great work slots. I'm not sure Civ6 can handle many more added mechanics to be honest. What I would like to see is more coherent interaction between the different mechanics. For example a non-powered city in the later eras could affect amenities or loyalty. As of now there are a whole lot of systems that feel slightly disconnected. But again, I need to play GS to see for myself.

New expansion could easily introduce new mechanics without introducing new yields.
For example: economic victory, ideological cold war, rebellions and stability, epidemics etc.

New expansion could easily introduce new mechanics without introducing new yields.
For example: economic victory, ideological cold war, rebellions and stability, epidemics etc.

Yeah I just mentioned the different yields to show how many different (and partly independent) systems are in the game. If they could find new stuff that could tie the different systems together I'm all for it. Although my money is still on this being the final expansion. But if they come up with something clever and coherent, I'm more than happy to be wrong :)

Would sales of GS really impact their decision for a third expansion? Surely they would have already started preliminary conceptual and design work on a third expansion if they wanted to ship it by February 2020, work which they probably wouldn't throw out unless GS bombed very, very hard.

As things stand, we're sitting at one less civ than V and there are still iconic civs missing from the roster. Add to that that we're missing some iconic world/natural wonders (Notre Dame, Mt Fuji, etc.). There are also new mechanics and systems that we're coming up with on these forums, which you have to assume have occurred to the dev team.

Then take into consideration that they've deployed this iteration of civ across more platforms than ever, both consoles and mobile. They're obviously putting a lot of time and effort into VI.

Really, the only indication it's time to move on to VII is the argument of, "Well, it's been out for about two and a half years and has two expansions. They never do more than two expansion."

Last edited:
Would sales of GS really impact their decision for a third expansion? Surely they would have already started preliminary conceptual and design work on a third expansion if they wanted to ship it by February 2020, work which they probably wouldn't throw out unless GS bombed very, very hard.

I think it will probably influence Firaxis about devoting money to it, though.

Grr... why can I never enjoy these things live? I either have a boss patrolling the office or clients to meet with whenever a live stream is going on. :(

I think it will probably influence Firaxis about devoting money to it, though.

My point is that if they have a timeline for Civ VI's development that included the possibility of a third expansion, they'd have to have made the decision to go forward with it well before sales information was available for GS. They've already devoted money to it if this is the case. To cancel these plans, and therefore waste the time and resources already devoted to it, GS would have to perform deplorably.

Top Bottom