1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Making slaves

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sweetchuck, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Ok - I have this city that flips to me. Has wines, which is cool. Has 4 pop and I'm expecting to be at war with this civ soon, so I send a settler up there to settle 1 tile to the NW (better location) and I put two of the pop as tax collectors (to stop pop growth) and start building workers (which come out as slaves). I'll abandon the city once pop hits 1 and build the new city right next to it for the grapes.

My question - when I build the worker/slave, will that slave require monetary support like my other workers, or is it free labor like other slaves?

And, if the slave requires monetary support - how can I distinguish it from other slaves if I want to disband it to save gold?

2. rysingsun

rysingsun King

"built slaves" are free too.

3. darski

darski Regent in Training

I have noticed that the slaves I create from a foreign city stay in the AA style. They don't look like the slaves you get in combat and they don't change to modern times when you get to the Industrial age.

Assuming you stay in the game that long, it will tell you which ones are found and which are made.

4. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Mine are coming out looking like regular workers, but as soon as I put them to task, they change and look like slaves.

5. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

There's a bug in the appearance of built slaves. They come out looking like native workers. Mine change to the slave appearance the next time I start up the game.

6. darski

oh... ok. since I usually complete a game when I start it, I don't get that correction happening.

Well, well well. Life is never boring.

7. The Professor

The Professor Emperor

Also, if you right-click on a stack of workers, the list will say "worker" for the ones who are your citizens, and worker (America) for the slaves (or whatever civ the city used to belong to)

8. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

I find it better to hurry workers in recently conquered cities, than starve them or whip them. They cost a bit more, but what's 32 gold when you're doing millions every turn?
    If the city has foreign and national citizens, locals are sent out to work first. But if a worker is created when ther'e only foreigns, you get a slave. So I would start building a worker, then the next turn hurry production. When the slave comes out, I start another, and leave that fisrt slave on top of the city. Then skip turn for him, so the next turn he'll remind me to hurry the worker that is being build. I keep diong it until there is only one citizen. Then fill the city with my loyal carthaginian people. This prevents flipping, war weariness, and gives me free workers, while the ones that cost support go where they should, inside the city.
    You can see that built slaves cost no support in the Military (F3) Screen. Built slaves don't show in the unit count (support), even if you have built many, you will see a line for workers, but will be empty. They will show in the scroll line at the bottom, where slave workers/artillery appear.

9. criminiminal

criminiminal Despotic Jingoist

...not too recently conquered...you can't hurry production in a resisting city

10. darski

this is true but you can disband old warriors (etc.) - 5 of them will rush a worker.

11. criminiminal

criminiminal Despotic Jingoist

:lol: -yuh know...i never even thought of that in resisting towns... :thumbsup:

*feels like a dumbass

12. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I use lots of obsolete units for disbanding to build slaves. Also, chopping a forest nearby can build a slave in 1 turn.

13. darski

I didn't think of it either... I learned it here at CivFan :love:

14. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

I have a slightly related question, is there a way to control which citizen becomes a worker? I usually end up with 1 enemy nationalty citizen and all my citizens, and no matter how hard I try I just can get rid of the one.

15. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Those enemy citizens have a tiny chance of assimilating, but chances are, they will stay foreign throughout the game.

16. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

As far as I know, foreign citizens are the last to become workers. So if a city has 2 locals and 2 foreings, and you want to turn them to workers, the 2 locals are produced first, leaving foreigns for last. That's why you always have a last foreing citizen. The chances for him to assimilate are bigger if the city and your entire civ has lots of culture, but if it is a city you conquered, it probably won't have that much culture anytime soon. So no, your national citizens will just have to live with the *odd* neighbor.

17. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

You can try and count how many slaves you have by scrolling through that list. I always lose count. :(

However, CivAssisst II does count all the slaves for you in the Territory tab.