1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Making the orbital layer the competitive landscape it should be

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by Minor Annoyance, May 23, 2015.

1. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

The orbital layer is dependent on the ground layer. Your airspace is useful to you but not so much for someone else, and airspace over neutral ground doesn't do much at all, so why fight over it? Getting more territory is good for you, but gaining more airspace is really only useful if you own the land beneath it. You can cover enemy airspace to block them from using it with tacnets but they cost maintenance and resources so why do that unless your at war? For the orbital layer to be a second place to compete you need to be able to gain from it even if you don't own what's underneath it.
    Have the solar collector gain 30% of a city's energy for the empire that owns the orbital, not the city. That way you could put collectors in someone else's territory and eat their lunch. Weather controlers if outside your work range could function as weather research satellites and give science for each bonus resource underneath.
    Or make a new class of invasive but non hostile orbitals.

2. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I like the idea of benefits outside one's borders, but I don't think stealing energy would make much sense.

I could see Solar Collectors being retooled to provide some Energy regardless of where they were to the one that launched them.

Off-topic, I'd kind of like it if the Planet Carver and the Laser satellites boosted tile improvement speed under them - assisting in clearing terrain.