1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Mali Livestream

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

I think one of the reasons why the world congress comes fairly early is that it would be difficult to balance the diplomacy victory otherwise. What's the fun in playing a civ with abilities tied to something that will be available only during the last 1/3 of the game?

the_m, Julia97, CPWimmer and 15 others like this.
  2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Good point.

3. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

TANSTAAFL: there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch (for those who didn’t know).

nzcamel, AriochIV and tedhebert like this.
  4. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

AH...Heinlein ;-)

5. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

First saw it in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, only later got introduced to it in a University Economics class . . .

tedhebert likes this.
  6. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

nice... didn't know it was serious enough to be talked about at university, especially in economy ;-0

Also loved 'When in danger or in doubt, run in circle, scream and shout' ;-)

7. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

Denis said Firaxis will be talk about modding in a future stream before the release of GS, about what tools they'll release, etc. Here hoping for the DLL source release.

Trav'ling Canuck and nzcamel like this.
  8. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

They said the same back in 2016, before the release of VI, and it never happened.

9. Meluhhan

Meluhhan Chieftain

So around 23:50 in the Mali livestream, Dennis says grievances have been woven into a lot of other things in the game now, one of them being loyalty loss in cities conquered from civs you've grievances with. Interesting. It's great to see loyalty being made to interact with more systems in the game.
    Also @bite , you might want to include this bit of information in your Features Thread.

10. Pistol90

Pistol90 Chieftain

Thats great news, lets hope they rework loyalty a little bit more. Specially when you just conquer city and have 4 turns to make it yours

11. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Chieftain

Can someone please tell me what difficulty level they were playing on in the Mali livestream?

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Emperor

13. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Note: 42 posts regarding nuclear power and related discussion hived off from this thread to a new thread. Please continue that discussion in that thread.

bbbt, Kjimmet, tedhebert and 4 others like this.
  14. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Thanks @Meluhhan, I had gone through that playthrough twice and still completely missed it. I've updated the Features Thread with the new Grievances information

Sostratus and nzcamel like this.
  15. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I hope this new system makes it harder for warmongers to keep on conquering.

Sostratus and AvianBritish like this.
  16. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

I would rather hope that it balances the entire Warmonger system. Attacking Civs you have grievances with, for example, should not add appreciably to your Warmonger status, whereas egregiously attacking someone without a grievance should make you thoroughly distrusted by everyone who hears about it.
    I would very much like to see a potential Warmonger have to do some 'diplomatic maneuvering' to set up his wars and 'recover' his reputation rather than simply attack because 1000 years ago you were attacked, took two enemy cities in retaliation, and now there's nothing you can do to change your Warmonger status except conquer everyone and be alone on the planet.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  17. Steamboat Willem

Steamboat Willem Chieftain

Conquering a city that is close to the rest of its civilization and having to make a significant investments to keep it is exactly how loyalty should work.

Craig_Sutter, nzcamel and DWilson like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

From the basic amount we've heard of it, I think it's something like X Civ has surprised war on you which gives you 150 grievances against them which means you can capture 10 populations worth of city before the world thinks you are the bad guy, etc. (Numbers completely made up for an example)

19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

In that case, the "Devil will be in the details". Specifically, have they balanced and tested the numbers so that they achieve the effect intended, instead of reinforcing the current miserable system. Given Firaxis' previous history in Civ VI of giving us systems that are not balanced either in themselves or with other systems (e.g., Production Costs versus Production Points in late game). that does not make me Hopeful, but we'll have to wait until we see some 'hard' figures on the Grievance Mechanism.

20. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I'd like both of these.

I dislike that cities can kick out an occupying military and declare independence, especially as quickly as cities can now. But I also dislike how conquered cities can be as productive as domestically settled cities (a) as quickly as they can and (b) with as little effort as is required currently.