[GS] Mali Production Malus Bug?

NegativeZero

Warlord
It was speculated on the main Livestreamer Preview Thread that Mali's production doesn't look exactly right in the press version.

Marbozir's Video in question:

After establishing his capital, Marbozir started a scout which civ 6 told him it would take 20 turns (standard speed).
Twenty turns for a scout is way too long even with Mali's -30% production malus to unit production.

Lets look at the numbers since Marbozir scrolled over them on the city panel before turning:

The Capital was making 3.1 production per furn which breaks down to +1 city, +2 copper desert hill, and +0.1 from amenities (5% from happiness) +2 Palace, +1 tiles, and +0.1 from amenities.

Without Mali's negative it should take (30/3.1) = 9.677 or 10 turns for a typical scout in that city.

With Mali's negative it should take (30/ (3.1*.7)) = 13.824 or 14 turns.

These numbers indicated the malus production is more than 30%.

If we double Mali's production penalty (-60%) it would take (30/ (3.1*.4)) = 24.193 or 25 turns.

It doesn't seem like the game is doubling the production malus with that example.

After playing around with the numbers, Civ 6 seems to handle Mali's negative production like this:

(30/ (( 3.1 x.7) x.7)) = 19.749 or 20 turns.

Civ 6 seems to far exceed the -30% production stated in Mali's description but doesn't double the malus.
I'm not sure if this has been fixed within the most up-to-date version of GS, but the press access version seems to contain a huge bug for Mali.

I think it may have been reported before, but this should confirm it was in the game at some point.

Anton's final answer:

"From what I see, our wizardly lead programmer fixed it last Tuesday, which was after the press build went out"

https://twitter.com/antonstrenger/status/1092856472231391232

Edit: Fixed proper sources of production.

Edit: Anton's answer for visibility.

Last edited:
Ummm... its +1 from mines because it is Mali, but that matters not for the sums.
upload_2019-2-5_8-13-13.png

So yes, the Malus is sort of a double application, report it on the bugs page.

I tossed them a bug report and heard back already...

"We appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention but rest assured as the expansion has not yet been released it is constantly undergoing changes.

I will take note of this but I would like you to return to us if the bug is still ongoing after the expansions official release." -2K

I guess there is not much topic to discuss till we see what changes on release.

Last edited:
The bug would make it 51% reductionif it was multiplicative, which I believe it is. 70% x 70% is 49% production, which results in 51% reduction.

This would fit with the 10 turn scout taking 20 turns.

Last edited:

Same calculation with this start. His production is 5.3. Multiply 5.3 times 49% and that equals 2.597. 30/2.597= 11.55 turns which is rounded up to 12 turns in his video.

The production nerf is indeed 51% not 30%.

Very nasty indeed. They will still be my first play, but honestly I don't even know if they are viable on deity. Better hope you survive the early game.

If this holds true, first and foremost, good find! But I also shiver with the idea that if they mess up something so relatively simple, then how many nasty bugs in things more complex are waiting for us, hiding?

Again, Firaxis?

Apparently this has been in, and Kilwa currently has the same problem.

I was trying to dig through the Mali livestream to see if it still applied there, but kept getting conflicting numbers. Hard to figure out the math when you don't know what policy cards are in play, having to convert all the values to the quick game speed, and not knowing how much overflow came in.

If this holds true, first and foremost, good find! But I also shiver with the idea that if they mess up something so relatively simple, then how many nasty bugs in things more complex are waiting for us, hiding?

Again, Firaxis?
It could be a matter of a mistake in one build, though. That seems REALLY easy to do with so many people handling it.

It could be a matter of a mistake in one build, though. That seems REALLY easy to do with so many people handling it.

Not likely; a double application of a variable, such as in this case, is very likely occurring at the dll level, and I don't think more than one person is touching the block where this factor is being considered.

See this thread. Someone has found out about this after the Mali livestream. I submitted a ticket to 2K and the responder said they will pass the message to relevant QA people, but I haven't got any update since.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ed-bug-that-will-probably-affect-mali.640705/

I just tweeted to Anton and Ed linking to that post. Hopefully they act on it, but what do we have to lose, right? Worst case they ignore it, but at least I tried.

EDIT: 2K reporting, from what I have seen, is useless.

It's not working in the above videos

I know, I asked for confirmation that it was still present in the press build... check twitter link for/if a possible answer.

Well, we can very clearly see it at play in the press build, so presumably got fixed after that.

They most likely have an old build. Hard to say when they actually fixed this. Still... the Mali stream was quite a while ago. Seems like an easy fix.

Well, we can very clearly see it at play in the press build, so presumably got fixed after that.

Just asked precisely that, no answer yet, maybe he is not so sure anymore? We shall see. Probably asking internally.

Top Bottom