1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Man arrested for paying with 2$ bills.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Goonie, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

My favourite part is the line about "the post 9/11 world." Haha.

2. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Getting arrested for trying to pay for something? Seriously, when did the US government get so paranoid over small things and ignore bigger problems, like lack of security at airports?

3. Yom

Yom Re-ese Mekwanint

:lol: That's crazy. I would be pissed off.

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Well, to be fair, counterfieting is a pretty high crime and something we should try to prevent ;)

Of course, this instance is completely stupid.

5. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

O my gosh!

He should sue. Sue Best Buy and the police, whoever was involved in this absurd unlawful imprisonment/arrest. I believe one can sue for unlawful imprisonment/arrest under common law. He should get a million dollars.

6. wit>trope

wit>trope Deity

But if you were counterfieting would you do it with 2 dollar bills? Not very efficient. The Best Buy manager was obviously a moron and the police were morons too.

7. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

The idiots at the store probably thought there was no such thing as a two dollar bill. Even if they found out that $2 bills existed afterwords, they might remain suspicious. The situation is still not normal to them as he paid with many 2 dollar bills (which is a little rude), and also many people remain suspicious once they become suspicious (even if proven wrong).

8. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

and osama is still on the loose

9. general_kill

general_kill Deity

cierdan,about suing the "police" aka the city, thinking like that takes money away from schools, police and fire station, hospitals, elderly homes, and just about everything that requires public funding.

10. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

I would sue and request payment in $2 bills :lol:

11. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I've heard of people try to pass off bills of nonexistant denomination, as well as fake one dollar bills. You never know what to expect

Maybe not morons, but definitly ignorant.

12. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

And when did Homeland Security raise the terror alert level to "Red" because Al Quaeda cells were buying car stereos with $2 bills? Jeez.

13. snipelfritz

snipelfritz Crazy about the Demogame

[sarcasm=a lot]Its sad days to see people taking there lives down such paths of crime and disregard for the law and their country.[/sarcasm]
    I should pay for everything in one dollar bills from now on. See what they do about it.

On a related note, my randomized playlist just switched to "Money" by Pink Floyd.

14. Ethics

Ethics Yeehaw!

Best Buy is definately sueable. The police... well you might have an individual case on the arresting and detaining cops depending on their actions and behavior, but the way the court systems protect the police, it would probably be 10 years before you finally got shut down by the judge.

I think they did stop printing $2 bills for a while. They're extremely uncommon/rare and I know I've been told they were fake before (for the matter, I remember going bonkers seeing the $2 as a kid, it has an awesome design). Counterfeiting is one of those extremely serious offenses... that 9/11 comment was just silly... the hammer always comes down when accusations of counterfeiting is thrown around (I knew two hooligans in my junior high days that got busted for printing off bills for lunchmoney).

I think the more important aspect of this is that once again Best-Buy has shown themselves to be a crummy store as usual. I hope this guy does take them to court.

15. amadeus

amadeus Techbrophobe

The guy sounds like a real nut. Any other reasonable person would go in and see the manager and explain what had happened. The whole thing could have been resolved with out this guy (at least twice) making an ass out of himself.

Let's also take a look at two other things here.

First, if you were the store clerk and someone tried to pay you $114 in sequential bills that appeared to have been stained, would you have taken them? I don't think anyone here can logically say that they would.

Second, when the Secret Service comes in, that's what their original intent was! The Secret Service was an agency of the U.S. Treasury (now part of Homeland Security) started by President Abraham Lincoln in 1865.

The primary purpose of the agency was to prevent counterfeiting of U.S. currency and U.S. government bonds and notes (as well as protection of the President and other high officials) so it's pretty much expected that the SS would be brought in to question tihs guy.

16. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

The guy was paying in legal tender and have every right to. Stupid store management was at fault followed by stupid police. I'd sue their sorry butts. This is a good illustration of the Republican trickle down theory. Stupidity at the top trickles down.

17. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

Actually, yes she does have to, considering they're legal tender.

18. amadeus

amadeus Techbrophobe

The numbers on the bills were sequential. You don't have to be a conterfeiting expert to know that's a red flag.

19. amadeus

amadeus Techbrophobe

No, the store can refuse service to the person.

20. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

They had already provided the service...he was just trying to pay the idiots.