Man arrested for paying with 2$ bills.

rmsharpe said:
No, the store can refuse service to the person.
Unless I'm reading the story wrong, the store had already serviced him and thus he was in debt to them. If he pays this debt with legal tender, they can't refuse it.

Edit: Eyrei beat me.

If I gave either one of you phony-looking or suspicious bills, you'd both be able to turn me down whether I was buying it new or paying a debt. What if you tried paying a mortgage or a car payment with quarters? They'd go ape-poopy.

What I'd like to know is why this guy is so socially inept and completely bankrupt of common sense. You have a problem so you see the manager and sort it out, not to drive up in a clown car with a sack full of pennies.

rmsharpe said:
If I gave either one of you phony-looking or suspicious bills, you'd both be able to turn me down whether I was buying it new or paying a debt.
Well, yeah, but I'm pretty sure what the lady was saying was that she could refuse the money and force him to pay in 10s or something.

Pull out a dollar bill. On it, it reads "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." That's pretty clear...

Sure, someone could refuse service, but once they have provided the service or goods, they have to accept whatever denomination you offer.

eyrei said:
Pull out a dollar bill. On it, it reads "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." That's pretty clear...

Sure, someone could refuse service, but once they have provided the service or goods, they have to accept whatever denomination you offer.
Exactly. You can't simply refuse payment because it's not the denomination that you most like. They're all legal tender.

rmsharpe said:
How is that not within the store's right to do that? You go to a gas station after 11PM and try to pay with a $100 bill, they're going to do the same thing to you. Pay it right or get out.
They post signs that say "We do not accept bills larger than $20"

rmsharpe said:
But they don't, eyeri. If you took a jar of pennies in to pay for software, they could tell you to get out.

Same thing again with the gas stations at night, they'll tell you that they won't accept that.

In the case of the software, they could tell you they can't sell it to you because you haven't purchased it yet, and they can refuse service. In the case of the gasoline, if you have already pumped it, they have to accept the payment. In that situation, they may be being lazy, stupid, or not have the money to make the change (if you try paying with a $100 bill or something), but they aren't in the right.

rmsharpe said:
But they don't, eyeri. If you took a jar of pennies in to pay for software, they could tell you to get out.
A couple of decades ago toll booths got tired of people throwing pennies into the coin drops. They had to post "no pennies' to prevent payment with pennies. You need an established and published policy to refuse legal tender.

I did a bit of googling. It turns out that rmsharpe is right. I think the law should be changed in that case, but it would have to be different from "you must accept any denomination," as it would cause problems with businesses being flooded by pranksters.

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp
http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml#q1

Edit: Birdjaguar may be right that they must establish this policy first, though. It does seem reasonable that way; I wouldn't think the law would need to be changed if this were the case.

rmsharpe said:
And if you tried to pay in pennies?
They can 9and should) make you count them out in stacks the first time and then accept only rolled ones on future sales. As thecustomer you can't just hand them a bag of coins. It is your responsibility to prove that you have provided the correct amount.

It also says that it would hold up in court that payment was offered and refused. So, it would be quite stupid of anyone to not accept payment in whatever legal form it is presented in.

I will admit that 67 sequential two dollar bills would raise my suspicions. Tough break for the guy though.

rmsharpe said:
Yom, thanks for backing me up :p

On snopes though, it says that stores should notify people of the policy, which would be a suggestion and not actually a law.
It does say "should," but the context pretty much turns that "should" into a "must."

I hope that this is the case.

general_kill said:
cierdan,about suing the "police" aka the city, thinking like that takes money away from schools, police and fire station, hospitals, elderly homes, and just about everything that requires public funding.

Not really. They can just raise taxes to make up for it and the specific police that were involved could get sued. Frivolous lawsuits are bad, but if you make the police immune from lawsuit then you're just inviting them to be abusive of their power. Getting detained and put in shackles is not a light matter. Subjecting them to lawsuits forces the police to have good policies and fire those who are idiotic.

Top Bottom