1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Man versus Wild--The guy eats 6 foot long tarantula

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Whomp, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

It's all a fraud! :( The dude gets blueberry pancakes in plush hotels. Is it time for a Navy Seal to do the job instead of a SAS guy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=1770

2. diablodelmar

diablodelmar no comment

Firstly, the SAS are better than the Navy Seals, even the TA (reserve) SAS, which is what Grylls was part of (;)lol, just to stomp on any American egoes), and secondly, that is the nature of television. Anyone who for one minute believed it was all authentic is clearly of low intellect. Ever thought of the camera crew? Do you think they would try and live in those conditions while maintaining such equipment as well? I knew from the start a lot of Bear Grylls is faked for viewing purposes.

3. C~G

C~G Untouchable

Navy Seals cannot handle hotel made blueberry pancakes, they only can digest homebaked applepie.

But WTF?
    I saw short moment of interview with Conan with this guy and I thought I would like to check out that show.

Too bad if it's a fraud. What's next? Myth of Mythbusters busted?

4. Whomp

Actually, it's probably comparing apple pies to blueberry pancakes with SAS and Navy Seals.

Delta Force and SAS would be the better comparison.

5. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooh great now this thread turns into a big ol' who's weewee is bigger contest about special forces.

6. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

I don't get the title of the thread.

shouldn't be 6 feet tarantula?

or 6 tarantulas, one foot each?

or is there a species of tarantulas called foot tarantula?

Anyway. Anybody besides me thinks that television has changed a lot in the last 20 years and that there are too many channels and too few ideas? So the producers have to cheat to attract audience.

Does anybody watch movies on TV any more? Seems to me that it is not profitable to broadcast movies on TV as it was say 20 years ago. People have already saw them or if they want to watch a movie, they just rent/buy it. So TV has to find other type of programs to air.

7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

If this is the show that I'm thinking, I'm very sad.

8. Fifty

survivor man was always cooler anyways. he didn't even use a camera crew!

canadian outdoorsy dude > special forces pancake eatin' pansy

9. Whomp

That was not the intent and I realize that it's all about teamwork amongst all the special forces. The SAS developed the standard that guides them.
    Edited to correct standards.
    But it would be nice if someone could actually make a show like this...seeing him squeeze elephant dung for water was pretty cool. Now I'm not sure it was real...:(

10. Fifty

They have! It's called Survivor Man. It's a cool Canadian dude who does it all without even a camera crew.

Survivor Man Mountain

Survivor Man Swamp

Survivor Man South Utah

11. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Yeah, what Fifty said. I knew the first time I watched this show that it was fake, just because he had a freaking camera crew along with him. I mean, I'm not saying that Survivor Man is necessarily 100% authentic, but at least he doesn't have a camera crew... :rolleyes:

12. Aramazd

Aramazd Chieftain

Yeah, I figured it was fake. The only episode I saw was the jungle one. I immediately figured that he had a camera crew, and I didn't think they would be roughing it.

13. Mango

Mango Tasty Fruit

Of course you are supposed to know he has a camera crew. It says so in the credits and he has, on occasion, said that he is out there with just 2 camera men. Of course in the credits they also list a "survival expert" so I've always figured one of the camera men was that expert (or he had an expert with him). In short, I thought it was somewhat fake but not as fake as the report is making it out to be. I thought he really did spend the nights outside, but I also thought that he had someone giving him advice on what to do to overcome certain obstacles.

I also thought that certain things, such as the horses in that one episode, were planted. Can you imagine how many takes it would have taken to get him hitting that rabbit with the throwing stick too? If he missed he would have to find a whole new rabbit. I think he just aimed a stick at it, missed barely, had them cut the shot at the last second and then showed him later eating a roasted rabbit that they had shot somewhere. I dunno, sometimes you fake it a bit for television. The island rescue thing was kind of hokey too. Still, I never imagined he'd actually be staying in motels.

14. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone Which Way Did He Go?

Well it is still an entertaining show. But I'd rather watch Ray Mears

15. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Never watching that show again. I only saw it once though. :)

16. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

I knew it was faked from the very beginning. How can a show seriously put its host in serious physical danger while having a camera crew watching innocently from the sidelines? Talk about liability.

Honestly, I never watched the show because I had the nagging suspicious it was all a sham. I guess I've been proven right.

17. Adamb0mb

Adamb0mb Lawless

Saw him drink his own urine... that was interesting.

18. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

To me the show seemed like a really low budget British version of MacGyver without a plot.

19. Catharsis

Catharsis remember to buy eggs

Whoa, you mean stuff on TV is fake? :wow:

20. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

That quote sums it up the best. It was disappointing to read this thread, since I watch Man vs. Wild nearly every Friday and have seen all the episodes. A lot of the criticism I've read is that he does stuff that is too "dramatized", "risky", or just plain "stupid". Sure, I'll give you that - after all, it's television, you want viewers to be entertained. I watch his show for entertainment and information about a subject I don't really know. If I was in a similar situation, would I do the stuff he does? Probably not. I think the show is more or less about how he would survive, not any normal person.

Of course, this all goes out the window with reading this article. I've seen other reports about how the show isn't as tough as it seems, but nothing in depth like this. It's hard to imagine a guy would intentionally want to mislead people about the very core of the show. I have seen the ads on the Discovery Channel for Survivorman with Les Stroud, and while I may keep watching Man vs. Wild just for fun, I'll also give that show a try. Man vs. Wild - pure survival? I doubt it; it's hard to imagine all this stuff (staying at motels/hotels, "planting" of things, etc.) though...