Votes: 8 19.0%
  • The Great Wall of China

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other(Please specify below)

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters

megalomaniac

Push the red button!!
This question has been bugging me all day. Please provide your input before my head explodes.

IMO it's google.com. Seriously, you can find anything there. I hope that in a thousand years, people think ot as a wonder of the world.

Mankind's greatest achievement is simply existance. They've adapted the world to suit their needs, which is truly more significant than anything else.

I see it as this - out of all the possible inventions, which of them really matters in the long run? Electricity could be said as more important than the internet, but so could fire. It's this thought that makes me feel their existence is the real greatest achievement, everything over the history of humanity is their greatest achievement.

Electricity, almost all modern inventions followed

AxiomUk said:
Mankind's greatest achievement is simply existance. They've adapted the world to suit their needs, which is truly more significant than anything else.

I see it as this - out of all the possible inventions, which of them really matters in the long run? Electricity could be said as more important than the internet, but so could fire. It's this thought that makes me feel their existence is the real greatest achievement, everything over the history of humanity is their greatest achievement.
Agreed! Quoted for truth.

The Pyramids and the Great Wall are just large-scale construction projects, there are many like them. The Manhattan and Apollo Projects are just large-scale research projects, there are others like them I voted the internet but in retrospect I don't think that is right. Our greatest achievement, and one we sometimes have trouble getting right, is the ability to treat complete strangers, from other groups or bands, as human just like us. Other animals will usually treat competing bands as enemies or at least competitors. We certainly have had problems with this, but on the other hand sometimes we have really been able to show a common humanity.

I don't think we should overlook the importance of antibiotics. How many formerly life threatening diseases are now under control because of them?

Much as i hate to give America credit for it, I gotta go with the moon landing. ;)

A step like going to the moon transcends humanity as a whole and marks an achievement in life on this planet: we are the first residents of earth able to actually leave home (well, besides the odd bacterium....).

I think it is writing. Writing allowed mankind to grow beyond simple peasant villages. It allowed the organization of states and civilizations. Most importantly it allowed one generation to look at all the mistakes and achievements of their predecessors. The discovery of electricity is all fine and good, but if only one person knows about it, it is of little use to anyone.

I am rather surprised that most people assume man's greatest work is a physical object. I would be inclined to say mankind's greatest achievement is the concept of "God". Religious faith is certainly one of the most great and terrible things that humans have constructed and daily continue to construct.

Adler17 said:
I think, like Evil Tyrant, that writing is the most important step in mankind. Only with books science can make progress and with it civilization. So civilization is based on writing.
Adler
The celts would disagree. :p

Electricity - without it, we wouldn't have three of the options listed above.

Pokurcz said:
The can opener. :)

Not much use until many, many years later, when we invented the can :p

I'd mostly agree with Evil Tyrant though. The development of a writing system was a pretty major thing. No more learning things from word of mouth, it allowed for people to expand beyond their family lines of work and begin truly helping others in learning and development of civilization.

Top Bottom