1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mansa Musa

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gotrilliten, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

It's been awhile since I've been into Civilization and even longer since I've been on these forums, so I need some brushing up.

Prince
    Standard Speed
    Continents, Standard
    7 AI
    No Random Villages, No Random Events

Spoiler :

It seems settling in place is the right decision here. With all these food resources and marble I kinda want to go Super Science City, thoughts? I'm not really good at starting out with a victory condition in mind, so I feel it might be a good idea to have some practice with that. Though, playing reactively did get me to Monarch in the past, so I don't know.

(Hopefully, I remembered how to format this right and give the proper information.)

(EDIT: I accidentally a word)

Attached Files:

2. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Always move starting warrior/scout to reveal as much as possible before deciding where to settle. Here moving warrior 1NW seems like the best move. Does it reveal anything?

3. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

I'm assuming you meant North East? 1NW is a water tile. If this is the case, it reveals a Plains Forest, and two Desert tiles north of the cow.

4. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Plains to the north eh? If I were feeling lucky, I might be tempted to move 1SE to see if there's anything in the water there. If there is, move 1W and settle on the forest. If there isn't move back to where you came from and settle next turn. Only costs you a single turn. The clam can easily be picked up by your second city, and the capital has plenty of food anyway.

5. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

Spoiler :

Oooo, CRABS!

6. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

If i knew the river will be green or better, i would settle on the plains hill ;)
    But looks brown..so not sure. Do not like fishing res. and coast much for my Cap.

But if not risking that, on deity i would settle on marble so i can start quicker..not needed on prince thou, SIP is fine ~~

7. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

Do you mean for resource bonus, or so that marble is connected to your capital as soon as possible?

8. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

For the extra hammer :)
    Fresh water bonuses are often really unimportant if you are under pressure during the first 40 turns, and crabs could be used by another city (on marble there would be space now 2S2E).

9. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

I see space for two good cities, settle 1S for capital, and a city 3N 1W, you can share the marble and cow while ensuring each city has one good food source of its own, but what do I know?

10. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

All of these options on the first turn are tearing my life apart!

11. dmd175

dmd175 Warlord

Good luck! Sounds like a fun game.
    Normally I would have SIP....
    However, from some recent games on the board I saw value of settling on various resources. I would consider 1N to settle on marble, giving capital clams/sheep/cow and make crabs (with food shares) a 2nd city for cottage overlap. I don't think you need the 4 food resources for one city to start (although could be a good GPP city).

12. nate45

nate45 Warlord

i'd settle on plains hill. Don't need to bother with the fish, can just go animal husbandry and work two good tiles, plus whatever is in the dark area.

13. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

1S really is no option, losing 1 turn and forests for..?
    If you share resources then there's almost nothing left for this Cap lol.

14. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Settle on Marble looks good now, with another city 1SE of the sheep.

15. nate45

nate45 Warlord

The main reason i settle on plains hill is because while it isn't at first glance necessarily better than the marble, it has the potential to be much, much better, while at the same time not losing either of the pasture tiles.

I count 14 hidden tiles inside the city radius of the plains hill. Any of them could have nice resources. There's a river too. Who knows what goodies you'll get if you settle plains hills. Probably a bunch of river grassland at worst, which would make for some nice cottages. I'm not an expert foggazer, but i believe that is a floodplain east of the plains hill. (edit: i'm sitting here in world builder trying to find a combination of tiles that looks like that... lol no luck. I'm not good at this foggazing stuff. I now think its probably not a flood plain, but maybe one of the adjacent tiles is? Cause there seems to be a slightly splotchy pattern in the dark there, which could be created if it was adjacent to a desert...)

Compared to the marble, you pretty much already know what you get.

I think its at least worth the turn to move to the plains hill, simply because it has the potential to be such an awesome cap, depending on what's in the dark area.

(edit2: I can't take the suspense. I have to know what that tile is. I'm going to open OP's game and then explore the plains hill.)

(edit3: SPOILERS:
    Spoiler :
    it's pretty bad lol, bunch of plains tiles :/. you gain one grassland river tile compared to the marble though.
    )

16. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

You also lose access to the sea, which could be a biggie depending on how watery the map is. There's some forests and you are financial (and want mints!), so either the Lighthouse or the Colossus look attractive. Hell, on Prince and starting with mysticism, I might try to get the Oracle (for Metal Casting), the Lighthouse and the Colossus.

17. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Hey Gotril - aren't you the fella that had the funky graphics issue some time ago? :)

18. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

Kinda late sorry.

I decided to go marble Capital. I'm thinking I might go Bronze Working>Pottery>Agriculture>Animal Husbandry, and then go Warrior>Worker and pre-chop some forest and build roads for fast wonders. Trying for oracle and colossus.

Spoiler :

Lol Yeah, I finally got a new graphics cards. So much more playable now.

Attached Files:

19. Bjarkov

Bjarkov Chieftain

get AH faster. You need food quick and can afford to wait on BW until the time where settlers are a thing you want. My tech line would be AG->AH->BW.
    Build a worker first, then grow to 3 on warriors. Farm the sheep first. On 3, start building a settler, worker pastures the Cow then chops forest 2E1S of capitol (the one with forest on all sides), 1pop whip to finish the settler with minimal overflow and settle 3S2E.

If you are not leaving fishing alone on purpose, get it before Pottery. It gives a good tile for your capitol, while Pottery doesn't net you that much right now and can be postponed.

20. chessplaya

chessplaya Prince

I agree with the decision to settle on marble. I would start with a worker, and tech Hunting->AH->BW, since this is the fastest way to get all the food tiles you want to use. Your worker can built roads while it is waiting for AH, then pasture the sheep followed by the cow. Always improve the best food tiles first!