1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mansa Musa

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gotrilliten, Oct 20, 2014.

1. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

The #1 priority now is to improve the sheep, so tech towards AH (via hunting) and build a worker.

Exploration: If you are near the coast, be sure to check out if there is sea food. Best thing might be to go NW to the coast, then swirl round to the east of your capital, uncovering all tiles that are ~6 tiles away from you capital.

Do the micro-management experts think it is useful to work the clam to speed up the research of AH instead of building the (jobless) worker?

2. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Awkward start - I hate coastal capitols. Riverside sheep is a strong tile with a FIN leader though.

3. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

This is interesting, but is it worth it over avoiding Hunting like the plague to spam Warriors for Hereditary rule?

Right now, Bjarkov's plan is looking pretty good.

4. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

I don't think there's any point in avoiding Hunting because you would also have to avoid BW (axes) which is pretty much never a good idea despite the rantings of Brennus.Quigley. It's much easier to just not connect copper, or trade it away later, or even pillage it briefly if you have to. I would go Hunting > AH (probably BW 3rd) here to get food faster. Getting off to a fast start trumps pretty much everything else.

5. sinimusta

sinimusta el capitano

I got curious about your micro suggestion and tested it a bit. Mali doesn't have fishing at start but I tried out whether or not it would be any use to use 2f1c tile instead 2f1h for faster AH, didn't speed it up though.

With the wheel you can always road some forests to speed up chopping in future and also road towards planned 2nd city, so the worker turns don't have to be wasted. If you do it cleverly you don't have to waste any worker turns while moving from sheep to cow, then you need to road the one you choose to improve first and either the forested GH or riverside grassland between them, I chose the GH to help with future chop. I chose here to go for fast 2nd city at size 2 and to improve the cow first. That loses commerce but gets 2nd city faster. Maybe sheep is better if you want to grow more before settler though or want commerce before expansion speed.

Actually did a shadow until T46. Not going to finish this game though, just tried the early micro.

Edit: @Izuul: you can build warriors if you have BW and copper connected, but not hunting. Still I agree with the rest.

Attached Files:

6. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Hmm, i dunno why i was thinking you couldn't. That doesn't change my opinion on teching AH though.

Roading cows and the tile 1S of the capitol allows the worker to pasture the cows 1T faster after pasturing sheep. That's what i would do here while waiting for AH to finish.

7. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Ah yes, the tile yields threw me of. They're not visible in the city screen if you don't have fishing, but are visible in the map view.

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Totally for Hunt>AH>BW here, then maybe Fish>Pot. You might ignore Ag for a while. With Hunt>AH though your worker will still be a bit fast, so you can stall it a bit on a Warrior for a few turns. Start a worker until AH and then check timings of worker and AH. You want worker to finish 2t before AH finishes so worker can move to sheep. (put 1t of road btw city and sheep)

Building warriors for HR is not something you need to consider now anyway. Heck, you might end up building the Mids if you find stone. Still, as mentioned, you can just not connect copper, if you even have it, or trade it away for a while to build warriors later.

Regardless, always think of food first.

9. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

Trying Hunting>AH>BW>Fish>Pot and Worker>War to 3

Worker popped out 5 turns before AH

Worker turn 1: 1S Build Road (1)
    Worker turn 2: Build Road (Complete)
    Worker turn 3: 1SE Build Road
    Worker Turn 4: Build Road (Complete)
    Worker Turn 5: Twiddle thumbs and enjoy future ride to cows???

or Build road on Forest Hill and 1 on sheep?

[Save from worker]

Attached Files:

10. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Never mind, river doesn't extend far enough to force you to cross it.

11. Bjarkov

Bjarkov Chieftain

Why prioritize Pottery so hard here? You want new cities more than you want Granaries right now, and you don't really want to start working cottages yet. You want Writing but not before you are putting those cottages to some use.

I'd get Bronze Working after AH as it provides me with two means of producing fast: Chop and Whip. That way I can get my settlers online faster, expand onto more land and make those cottages much more relevant later when I do want Pottery (which is probably after BW and Fishing)

12. Gotrilliten

Gotrilliten Warlord

Bah, typo. Forgot to put Bronze Working after AH. Fixed.

13. chessplaya

chessplaya Prince

Yes, road on forest hill+sheep seems like the best way. It should save a turn later when you have BW.