1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Manufactories and Mines

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Nwabudike, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Nwabudike

Nwabudike Chieftain

Anyone use them?

-2 Health seems pretty steep, unless you're either swimming in health (Eudiamonia, probably) or don't care at all (too busy conquering the planet.) I kinda want to try them with the Industry virtue...I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Related to this is Mines -- I only see one tech that buffs mines...am I missing something?

2. Mysticforce

Mysticforce Chieftain

If you go down the Prosperity tree, you will be swimming in health by mid game, and late game your health becomes rather comical - you'll have more health bonuses in most cities than their population can take advantage of.

3. Denkt

Denkt Reader

They are better in the balance mod, only -1 health which only take one Biowell to cancel out.
    They are useful to put in the city you will build your victory improvement in because they will speed up the construction of the improvement.

4. Nwabudike

Nwabudike Chieftain

I actually find part of the value of prosperity (or any of the global health virtues) is that they're not limited by your city population, allowing you to have positive health while your cities are still growing.

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Forget Prosperity. Get Magnasanti and pick up Social Investment on the way down. Magnasanti will let you choose between perpetual Utopia or constant expansion with your health occasionally dipping below 20 (but never below 10), and Indistry has overall better virtues. I still would never build Manufacturies instead of mines. They are there to make cities with few hills productive.

6. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

I just spam them around my capital for wonder whoring, other cities don't need manufactories.

7. hbar

hbar Constant

I dunno, it's a pretty huge bonus. +2 passive and +3 yield? It's not like energy is hard to come by, and unhealth isn't that bad for you. I haven't built them yet (probably because I read these forums too much and everyone says they're worthless), but maybe in my next game I'll build a bunch and report back.

8. bhavv

Wait I didn't understand what it means by the +2 passive and +3 yield.

You get +3 when working the manufactory, do you also get +2 while not working it???

9. Lord Katana

Lord Katana Warlord

yes, city gets an inherent 2prod and an additional 3 when worked (for total 5)

10. Nwabudike

Nwabudike Chieftain

Oh...that's actually much better then I thought, and probably worth trying. +5 prod is very strong, and +2 prod for not even working the tile is kind of interesting -- you could give a smallish base extra production, for example.

11. Mithrantir

Mithrantir Chieftain

I have build a few throughout my games so far.
    They are not for spamming (like biowells) but they are golden for cities with a lot of space and little to no resources. You just have to keep in mind that the have a -2 health penalty, which is not that hard to eliminate once you have found the tech for biowells.

12. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I find that hammers are usually not really an issue anyway, because that's what internal trade routes provide anyway. Never really found a use for additional hammers, other than maybe in a purely-grassland-capital, so i rarely ever build manufactories.

Although I guess that one could argue that manufactory-spam might allow you to use more external trade routes way earlier.

13. bhavv

U ppl need to learn how to wonder whore:

ALL THE WONDERS ARE BELONG TO TIANGONG!

Only 1 policy away from social investment:

14. Autoclave

Autoclave Warlord

the only problem is teching fast enough to grab those wonders.

15. Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo Warlord

So it's been confirmed that the unhealth from manufactories is local, not global, like the health bonus from Biowells?

16. Umbral Reaver

Umbral Reaver Secret Wizard

I'm pretty sure that this is bugged. The passive +2 is not applied.

17. Xenotitan

Xenotitan Prince

All unhealth is global.

I just thought it was +3 production when worked. I have to test this.

18. bhavv

I already tested that a while back, it was false. You only get the worked yield from the tile.

19. Yucatan

Yucatan Chieftain

I think the +2 is a standardized value and you get +3 at normal game pace.

20. Xenotitan

Xenotitan Prince

I also tested this and it provides +3 production. The +2 thing is just a typo where its supposed to say +3. There's no passive +2 anywhere in the description so I'm pretty sure the lack of this is not a bug.