Many Leaders Game 4 - The Cultured Monarch

Comments on the games.

Spoiler :

Looks like most people have settled the same spot for their second city. It does look nice doesn't it :).

It was a bummer about Toko being so close but I still think it can be won peacefully. I find in BtS it is a struggle getting 9 cities peacefully in any but isolated starts and we have an island full of REXers but possible cultural fallacy #4 is that you need 9 cities for a cultural win :lol:. So I'm interested in how Swiss Pauli and Ralph_Jackson go (and wish I had the restraint).

Well done pholk, for not only managing to not have your settler eaten but actually building our first wonder. I'm going to pay more attention to wonders in this game (from next round) than before as there will be very different wonder strategies (I won't build any except maybe Pyramids that don't give GA points).

Finally, I'm happy I managed the quecha rush. It does show how ridiculously overpowered Huayna is on Monarch and above (just look at the HOF tables). I'm not sure of this talk that I'm going to win though. My plodding through the mid and end game will certainly help others over the line and some aren't far behind in wiping Toko. ;)

Anyway, hope you're all having fun and good luck for next round.

Ozbenno

Spoiler :
I like your overview table. Especially that I'm the worst player in most categories :lol: :D . Time to change that in round 2 I guess...

·Imhotep·;6142169 said:
Ozbenno

Spoiler :
I like your overview table. Especially that I'm the worst player in most categories :lol: :D . Time to change that in round 2 I guess...

Spoiler :
That's why I say take with a grain of salt. Your strategy involved non-expansion and a bit of :whipped: , so its understandable you end up on the right of the table ;) . If, however, you're still there next round :mischief:

Spoiler :

Last in 2 categories. Woot!

Although like you say, too early to divine much from these - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

You're right - that Quecha is a gruesome UU - another one like the Praetorian - almost a trait in and of itself? It's even responsible my only Deity hall of fame win - the ever so cheap: Duel Map, Pangea, Rush - doesn't even count as a real game - but I had to see if it worked... :)

A very nicely executed rush there - exactly early enough... good luck with the expanding from it!

Loads of other cool starts as well - be really fascinated to see how the games diverge over time.

An early wonder could be rocking - curious to see how that works - guess it'd double in the early BC years.

Spoiler :
Last in 4 categories here. I think that beats everybody.

Although, to be fair, 3 of those are likely due to the fact that my capital swapped off all the crab tiles for one turn in order to put out the last axe for my rush on turn 51.

... I mean, Holiness.

Spoiler :

Let's see. Wang is Financial and starts with Mysticism. Obviously, going religions and exploiting the sea is the most lucractive strategy. Hence, let's settle on site and go for fishing first.

A new scout, woooo. Off he goes, found one hut. Had a good night sleep with the chief's daughter ... and the chief gave 62 gold for my Wang's excellent services.

Well, a chief's daughter's good taste is another's bad taste ... the warrior who set off east met his demise as this chief's apparent does not appreciate my fiddling with his wife ...

... and the warrior met his untimely demise. No matter, for the good fortune of the scout continues ...

... and there be copper in Seoul.

I delayed revolting since I do not want to jeopardise my chances of finding the first holiness.

There, the dancing goddess ... a perfect match for my Wang. Time to revolt to whip stuff with my wang.

The first whip produced a worker and overflow to a workboat. At this point, I'm going to allow myself one wonder build. I considered between Oracle and Stonehenge, and decided that Oracle is more worth it as stonehenge's free monument disappears with Calendar ... I rather hand-built these monuments. Thus, I continued to go for Priesthood, followed by Masonry and then Monotheism.

Luck would have it that we found Judaism as well. Great.

Time to revolt to Hinduism and Organized Religion.

And there, 2 turns to Writing and 2 turns to Oracle.

You should know what I intend to grab for the free tech. I considered going Metal Casting for the colossus, but then IW will take too much time. Toku is encroaching in, I must resist my Wang's wonder urge, and focus on expansion next. I have already in mind the next two sites.

So can my Wang achieve the Oracle? Well, see my next spoiler!

>>> The Save (2000BC) <<<​

Attachments

• MLG4-Wang-BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    65.2 KB · Views: 79
GreyFox

Spoiler :
A very strong start, as usual. Luck served you with the BW pop, grabbing two religions was kind of a gambit too. But fortune favors the bold...

@Greyfox

Spoiler :
Doesn't henge go all the way to Astronomy now making it alot more helpful

PS well done for two religions, i'd be happy with one in any of my cities

Spoiler :
Slight cockup insofar as I forgot to save at 375BC, so 325 will have to do :blush: Just got too into the flow of the game…

In this epoch, I made a lot of use of switching the mines between Istanbul and Erdine, dependent on builds and happy cap. Exploring reveals some Marble in a very unappealing location, so I think I’ll settle on it for the hammer boost as and when I need it. An AI completed Stonehenge in BC1720, whilst I was getting on with chopping the Oracle in Istanbul.

Grabbed some more resources:

And shortly thereafter the Oracle was completed, with Confucianism founded in Erdine:

With Roosy having founded Buddhism I thought I better bag the Oracle ASAP, so I didn’t have time to learn Pottery before Writing. The missionary was sent on a long walk to Lisbon. Joao converted the turn after I spread Conf.

The Third Legend:

More like Bleurghsa at this stage, but with Sugar, Fish and Rice we can support a good many Artists (having used mined hills to build Globe and NE). It’ll have to battle American culture for the Rice, but I’m confident I’ll prevail.

On T82 Joao asks me to convert, which I do gladly: it’ll tick off Roosy but we’re never going to get on well with America unless he goes Free Religion. Shortly after this incident I decide to gift Toku some Clams: he sent an Axe into my line of sight, so a swords-rush is out of the question (doubly so seeing as Iron is not handily placed). Time to make nice with Toku?

In for a penny, in for a pound: Cancelled deals with USA!USA!

Got a GP on turn 90, so the choice is to settle or shrine. I decide on the latter as I want to spread Confusion and it’s not really happening at the moment: Buddhism is getting into my new cities instead (which will be handy for me down the line). The choice pays out pretty quick as Toku converts in BC 475, the same as Roosy finishes the Great Lighthouse.

Konya:

The eagled eyed reader will spot that Roosy got a GP.

Magnificent REX:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/96651/Suleiman_BC-0325.CivBeyondSwordSave

Aztecs, 2000 BC - 375 BC:

Spoiler :
Turn 54: Revolt in Osaka.

Turn 55: Judaism FIADL.

Turn 59: Writing -> Agriculture. I need Jaguars and jungle chopping so IW is next, but in the meantime my workers need stuff to do.

Turn 61: The Oracle = Confusion in Teo. Start incantations (shouldn't that be aztecantations?).

Turn 65: A helpful barb city pops up south of Osaka.

Turn 66: Agriculture -> IW.

Turn 76: Ghuzz is taken and kept. Can't say no to a free city, even when it's not in an optimal location.

Turn 79: IW -> AH.

Turn 84: AW -> Pottery. After the worker techs are done I will beeline to Music.

Turn 87: Pottery -> Mathematics. All cities are pumping out Jaguars. Toku has horses but no metals. :devil: He converts to Confu.

Turn 93: Roosie converts to Confu.

Turn 96: My JaguarAxe stack pays a visit to Osaka. Time to play The War Song. Toku asks "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" Yep. Two Jaguars later the city is ours.

Turn 98: Mathematics -> Polytheism.

Turn 99: We find Kyoto and the Great Lighthouse therein. The Mistake No. 3 was to leave an axe out in the open, it is killed by a Japanese chariot.

Toku is heading for the great beyond in a short while. Even I'm Afraid of Me. I wonder when the culturalizing is going to start, perhaps once Japan is dead. I'll try to grab Pacifism, Theology, and the Sistine Chapel. I think Roosie and Joao can live as long as they provide useful trading opportunities. The Aztecs just want some lebensraum for their cultural endeavors.

Spoiler :
Ad Hoc: I'm intrigued by your second city choice. What was your reasoning?

Spoiler :
Zargon said:
Last in 4 categories here. I think that beats everybody.
Except Immy :lol:

Oh wow, when I took a second glance, I thought Imhotep was in the last column 4 times, but no, it appears I was throughly defeated in the art of coming in last.

Spoiler :
Well, if Toku has got more than about 3 archers by the time I roll up on turn 59, I'll be in a great position to make another run at the title of dead last real soon.

Turnset 2 - 2000BC > 375BC

Spoiler :

The short version:
Spoiler :

Won my war with the Japanese pretty decisively. Captured Kyoto. Autorazed Osaka.

Snagged the Oracle and 2 religions. Founded 2 new cities for a total of 4.

Science has come along reasonably rapidly, which pleases me.

Ticking along nicely, but not a lot of culture unfortunately - well, you can't have everything!

Next turnsets targets are to follow the drama/music branch, build the great library, some more cities, more culture and possibly the AP - easy stuff!

A piccie of the world:
Spoiler :

Summary Info:
Spoiler :

Cities - 4
Population - 17 (7+7+2+1)
Science: Meditation (1680BC) > Priesthood (1520BC) > Writing (1240BC) > Polytheism (1000BC) > Masonry (900BC) > Monotheism (500BC) > Aesthetics (500BC) > Theology (375BC - Bulbed) > Literature (1 turn to go) >
Income: 38 Bulbs & +/- 0 gold @ 70% science.
Expenses: 12 gold
Units: 4 workers, 6 axes, Spear, Christian Missionary.

Full report:
Spoiler :

1920BC - Axe 5 in, start another. Aiming to leave 1 axe at home, take 7 and a spear after Tokugawa - might be overkill, but better than too few IMO.

1880BC - Axe 6 chopped out. Start on 7.

1760BC - Axe 7 in. Start on Number 8.

1720BC - Axe 8 in. Start on a spear. IBT the great wall finishes.

1680BC - Meditation in. Start on Priesthood.

1640BC - Spear completes - start a spare Axe.

1600BC - this event comes in - with even 1 happy resource I'd try it, but gimping my capitals happy cap doesn't seem like a good thing right now. Take the +1 happy for 10 turns. Hopefully I will hold Japans Ivory by the time that wears off! :)

Spoiler :

1560BC - with a slighty sense of nervousness my stack DOWs Japan. Lets hope my fog gazing was correct and they don't live on a hill! :)

1520BC - Priesthood in - start writing. The stack arrives outside Kyoto. My suspicion was correct - it is not on a hill - although it is defended by 3 protective archers. Unsuprisingly. I notice he has horse to the north. Makes me very glad force of habit had me throw in a spear. Combined arms ftw.

Spoiler :

1480BC - Nidaros finishes an Axe - starts The Oracle. IBT he whips another archer - as expected.

Promote 1 axe to CR-1 and 1 to cover - cover gives better odds...

Cover Axe vs CD2 Archer. Wins at 22%. :o
Cover Axe2 loses reducing Archer to 0.8
Cover Axe3 wins at 26%. Damn - this is making up for the scouts.
Cover Axe4 loses at 30%, reducing archer to 0.7.
Unpromoted Axe wins at 99.6%, but it was close - reduced to 0.5
Axe wins at 99.9% and I capture Kyoto.

Spoiler :

2 losses is considerably better than I expected. Planned to lose 3-4 of the little guys. Well done boys!

1440BC - A Japanese worker moves next to Kyoto - capture it. Move 1 uninjured and 3 injured but promoted axes outside Osaka.

1400BC - Another Japanese gift worker appears. I take it.

Lose the Uninjured Axe against Osaka (26%). Mauls the single defending archer.
An injured vetran takes the injured archer at 85%. I destroy Osaka. And the Japanese are dead.
Now what was it I was meant to be doing. Oh - culture! :)

1320BC - Kyoto is online - start a monument.

1240BC - Writing in - set for Polytheism. Oracle completes - select CoL. Start a settler. Found Confucianism in Kyoto. Revolt to Confucianism. So excited I forgot to snap piccies - but you all know what these look like? :)

1200BC - Nidaros goes unhappy as the event happiness wears off.

1160BC - Kyoto chops out a monument - starts a library. Confucianism spread to Nidaros soliving the happy problem.

1120BC - Holy Kyoto gets a border pop and now I have Ivory Happiness too.

1000BC - Polytheism in - set for Masonry.

975BC - Nidaros Settler > Workboat.

950BC - Found Upsalla.

Spoiler :

925BC - Nidaros - Workboat > Temple.

900BC - Masonry in - set for Monotheism. Kyoto finishes the library and starts a grannary. Hire a scientist.

800BC - Monotheism in - set for Aesthetics. Revolt to OR.

750BC - Kyoto finishes Grannary, starts a monastry. Consume a tasty snack with a warm beverage.

700BC - Nidaros finishes a temple - hires a priest, starts a settler.

650BC - Kyoto finishes a monastry - starts a temple.

600BC - the moons are aligned and the time is right - Kyoto hires a second scientist.

575BC - Nidaros finishes a settler - starts a monastry.

525BC - Nidaros - Monastry > Confused missionary.

500BC - Aesthetics > Literature. Found Haithabu to claim Marble, fish and gold.

475BC - Kyoto - Temple > Barracks.

425BC - Nidaros - Confused Missionary > Monument.

400BC - Kyoto - Barracks > Chariot.

375BC - Nidaros - Great Prophet is born - my first great person. Woot!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

A double holy city - suprises me a little - but fantastic!

Attachments

• Ragnar BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    112.6 KB · Views: 66
Round 2: You have my Axe... - Imhotep's de Gaulle 2000BC to 375 BC

Spoiler :

Well, as rushing was obviously the plan for this turnset, you surely expected some battles. Here are the stats:

Battle Stats:
Units victorious while attacking : 7
Units victorious while defending : 1
Units defeated while attacking : 4
Units defeated while defending : 0

Doesn't look too impressive, eh ? Well, maybe I did not totally suck, but make your own picture of it.

Before rushing I clearly wanted more than 5 Axes as I feared those protective Archers. Worst case would be a useless rush that promotes his Archers to CG III. So better come in force !

Some turns in I got bad news:

Chariots ! :eek: They feast on Axebearers for breakfeast, even on a forested hill those Axes don't stand much of a chance. Better add a Spear to the attack stack, but this meant first putting 5 turns of precious research into Hunting. Doh !

I then got a random event. It was clearly weed to accept the 3rd option as of course the 50% chance struck and Paris was reduced to size 1, slowing down my military build up.

As I had (I believe) 8 Axes and 1 Spear I declared on turn 77 or 950 BC.

I passed the outliying two cities Toku had planted by and went right for the Capital on flat ground.

Hm, only 3 Archers. Could have been worse. Chaaaaaaaarge !

If you check the log you see I have been ridiculously lucky on some battles. But hey, fortune favors the bold ! I'm sure I could have captured Kyoto anyway, but with more losses I had needed fresh troops soon.

Meanwhile Paris was building not troops but another thing...

I find in my recent games that the 'mids are open quite long as it is a real expensive wonder. So I tried for the Oracle, grabbing a free tech...

Code of Laws of course. I'll need Courthouses soon, and the religion is nice too. Freshly captured Kyoto got home of Confucianism.

Meanwhile my surge went on and I tried to capture Tokyo, another nice city. The situation was not clear however, as I only fielded 4 Axes against 4 Archers.

But here the power of Charismatic came in as I was able to field CRIII and CRII Axes. Even then it might have gone otherwise, but again I was incredibly lucky...

Maybe I have now used up all the warfare luck and will lose all battles with 95%+ odds henceforth...

I then negotiated peace, switched to Confucianism (Joao and Toku adopted it) and went into rebuilding mode. Opened borders with Joao too to scout his lands.

Speaking of Joao, this guy sucks. The rush and the wonder had a price, and that was neglected settling. Sure enough Joao claimed some spots in the neighborhood. I gotta cleave some more heads soon it seems...

The culture club stats:

Goals for my next round:

• Rebuild army and destroy Toku
  • get some commerce up
  • smash Joao
  • maybe try for some wonders
  • settle city of gems and dyes

We'll see how that goes...

Imhotep

Spoiler The Log :

Logging by BUG Mod 2.11 (BtS 3.13)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 50/500 (2000 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:16:16]
Reminder: On Turn 100, Stop playing
Paris's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 51/500 (1960 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:16:38]

IBT:

Turn 52/500 (1920 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:17:12]

IBT:

Turn 53/500 (1880 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:17:17]
The whip was applied in Paris
Tech learned: Polytheism
Paris grows: 2

IBT:

Turn 54/500 (1840 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:17:58]
Research begun: Hunting (5 Turns)

IBT:

Turn 55/500 (1800 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:12]
Paris finishes: Axeman

IBT:
Judaism founded in a distant land

Turn 56/500 (1760 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:17]
Paris begins: Axeman (7 turns)

IBT:

Turn 57/500 (1720 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:25]

IBT:

Turn 58/500 (1680 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:29]
Tech learned: Hunting
Paris grows: 3

IBT:

Turn 59/500 (1640 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:33]
Research begun: Priesthood (6 Turns)
Whip anger has decreased in Paris

IBT:
Attitude Change: Joao II(Portugal) towards Tokugawa(Japan), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 60/500 (1600 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:42]

IBT:

Turn 61/500 (1560 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:46]

IBT:
Civics Change: Roosevelt(America) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 62/500 (1520 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:50]

IBT:

Turn 63/500 (1480 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:18:56]
Paris begins: Axeman (7 turns)

IBT:

Turn 64/500 (1440 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:19:06]
Tech learned: Priesthood

IBT:

Turn 65/500 (1400 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:19:09]
Research begun: Animal Husbandry (7 Turns)
Paris grows: 4

IBT:

Turn 66/500 (1360 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:19:27]

IBT:

Turn 67/500 (1320 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:19:39]

IBT:

Turn 68/500 (1280 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:19:43]

IBT:

Turn 69/500 (1240 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:19:48]
Paris begins: Spearman (6 turns)

IBT:

Turn 70/500 (1200 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:19:59]

IBT:

Turn 71/500 (1160 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:20:04]
Tech learned: Animal Husbandry
Paris finishes: Spearman

IBT:

Turn 72/500 (1120 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:20:11]
Research begun: Writing (13 Turns)
Paris begins: Axeman (5 turns)
Paris grows: 5

IBT:

Turn 73/500 (1080 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:20:33]
The whip was applied in Paris

IBT:

Turn 74/500 (1040 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:20:56]
A Mine was built near Paris

IBT:

Turn 75/500 (1000 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:21:18]

IBT:

Turn 76/500 (975 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:21:30]

IBT:

Turn 77/500 (950 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:21:42]
Paris begins: The Oracle (15 turns)
MLG 4 - Imhotep(France) declares war on Tokugawa(Japan)

IBT:
While defending in French territory at Paris, Axeman defeats (4.40/5): Barbarian Archer (Prob Victory: 99.8%)
Attitude Change: Tokugawa(Japan) towards MLG 4 - Imhotep(France), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 78/500 (925 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:22:25]
Paris begins: Spearman (4 turns)

IBT:

Turn 79/500 (900 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:22:44]
Paris grows: 5

IBT:

Turn 80/500 (875 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:22:56]

IBT:

Turn 81/500 (850 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:23:08]
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
While attacking in Japanese territory at Kyoto, Axeman loses to: Japanese Archer (2.52/3) (Prob Victory: 7.1%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Kyoto, Axeman defeats (1.70/5): Japanese Archer (Prob Victory: 16.3%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Kyoto, Axeman defeats (0.60/5): Japanese Archer (Prob Victory: 28.9%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Kyoto, Axeman loses to: Japanese Archer (2.46/3) (Prob Victory: 21.9%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Kyoto, Axeman defeats (2.00/5): Japanese Archer (Prob Victory: 44.1%)
Captured Kyoto (Tokugawa)
Kyoto begins: Monument (31 turns)

IBT:

Turn 82/500 (825 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:24:51]
Axeman promoted: City Raider II
Axeman promoted: City Raider III
Spearman promoted: Combat I

IBT:

Turn 83/500 (800 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:25:27]

IBT:

Turn 84/500 (775 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:25:49]

IBT:

Turn 85/500 (750 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:26:03]

IBT:

Turn 86/500 (725 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:26:24]
Axeman promoted: Combat I
Tech learned: Writing
Paris finishes: The Oracle

IBT:
Attitude Change: Tokugawa(Japan) towards MLG 4 - Imhotep(France), from 'Annoyed' to 'Furious'

Turn 87/500 (700 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:27:01]
Research begun: Pottery (9 Turns)
Tech learned: Code of Laws
Confucianism founded in Kyoto
Confucianism has spread: Kyoto
Paris begins: Spearman (5 turns)
Kyoto begins: Chariot (6 turns)
The whip was applied in Kyoto
Kyoto finishes: Monument

IBT:

Turn 88/500 (675 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:29:26]
Kyoto begins: Chariot (8 turns)
Kyoto's borders expand

IBT:
Confucianism has spread: Braga (Portuguese Empire)

Turn 89/500 (650 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:29:46]
While attacking in Japanese territory at Tokyo, Axeman defeats (3.20/5): Japanese Archer (Prob Victory: 64.2%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Tokyo, Axeman loses to: Japanese Archer (0.15/3) (Prob Victory: 27.7%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Tokyo, Axeman defeats (2.30/5): Japanese Archer (Prob Victory: 61.9%)
While attacking in Japanese territory at Tokyo, Axeman defeats (1.00/5): Japanese Archer (Prob Victory: 27.7%)
While attacking in French territory at Kyoto, Axeman loses to: Japanese Archer (0.75/3) (Prob Victory: 93.9%)

IBT:
A Pasture was destroyed near Kyoto
A Pasture near Kyoto was destroyed by Japanese Archer
Confucianism has spread: Lagos (Portuguese Empire)
State Religion Change: Joao II(Portugal) from 'no State Religion' to 'Confucianism'

Turn 90/500 (625 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:31:17]
Axeman promoted: City Raider III
While attacking in Japanese territory at Tokyo, Axeman defeats (3.65/5): Japanese Archer (Prob Victory: 99.8%)
Captured Tokyo (Tokugawa)
Tokyo begins: Monument (31 turns)
MLG 4 - Imhotep(France) and Tokugawa(Japan) have signed a peace treaty

IBT:
Confucianism has spread: Satsuma (Japanese Empire)
Attitude Change: Tokugawa(Japan) towards MLG 4 - Imhotep(France), from 'Furious' to 'Annoyed'

Turn 91/500 (600 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:32:51]
Kyoto begins: Worker (10 turns)
Kyoto begins: Walls (50 turns)

IBT:
State Religion Change: Tokugawa(Japan) from 'no State Religion' to 'Confucianism'
Attitude Change: Tokugawa(Japan) towards Joao II(Portugal), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 92/500 (575 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:33:28]

IBT:
State Religion Change: MLG 4 - Imhotep(France) from 'no State Religion' to 'Confucianism'

Turn 93/500 (550 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:33:50]
Kyoto grows: 2
Confucianism has spread: Tokyo

IBT:

Turn 94/500 (525 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:34:02]
Paris grows: 6

IBT:

Turn 95/500 (500 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:34:41]
A Pasture was built near Kyoto
Confucianism has spread: Paris
Tech learned: Pottery
Kyoto grows: 3

IBT:

Turn 96/500 (475 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:35:27]
Research begun: Archery (5 Turns)

IBT:

Turn 97/500 (450 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:35:55]
Whip anger has decreased in Kyoto
Tokyo grows: 4

IBT:

Turn 98/500 (425 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:36:16]
Paris begins: Settler (8 turns)
Kyoto grows: 4

IBT:

Turn 99/500 (400 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:36:50]
A Cottage was built near Kyoto

IBT:

Turn 100/500 (375 BC) [12-Nov-2007 23:36:55]
Reminder: Stop playing

Battle Stats:
Units victorious while attacking : 7
Units victorious while defending : 1
Units defeated while attacking : 4
Units defeated while defending : 0

Willem the 'Cultured' - Take 2
2000 B.C. - 375 B.C.

Spoiler :

Edit part removed :)

Meet Willem for his second episode.

When I left him last time, Priesthood was almost finished, as well as the army to go after Toku.

At first, it happens Toku is the most powerful civ in the world :eek:
I'm confused - having 4 axes on hand, I thought to be more powerful, but he seemed to have built some of his protective archers... :mad:

Anyway, I decide to take my chance.

I chop/whipped six axes and DoWed Toku on turn 54.

Another axe (7 in total for my rush army - for almost any AI it would do, but Toku... I am an early game gambler:D) has taken down a wanderning Toku's chariot next to Amsterdam - I think that have pulled up his power rating.

I wished I could say that it went smoothly. Well, it was a very close call. Osaka auto-razed in turn 56. With a protective archer on the hill, I lost two axes on it and wounded a third. Going for Kyoto went a little bit luckier - 3 valid and one wounded but promoted CR1 axe took down the two archers on the plain. As I say, lucky it wasn't a hill.

On turn 59 it was over - Toku went sleeping with the fishes and our Lebensraum (life space) was well improved.

Now it was time to get the economy on the road and block lands for us.

Some steps of this land rush (thank you, gods of financial, to help me sustaining all these cities :cool:) :

On the tech side, Priesthood was followed by Writing and Pottery.

Here am I, on turn 79, having no more nails to eat and starting to choke my small finger :

Now time to explain the gamble.
Before I do, I wish to thank my friend r_rolo1 for his brilliant move from the current Lonely Hearts Darius game (I did the same one there, and tried it here). Yes, don't be shy r_rolo1, it was brillant :king:.

Leveraging the fact that the research rate was quite nice (and would become even better with cottages), I decided to delay The Oracle for some later obscure purpose. As it was already well established in forementionned LH game, the AI do consider The Oracle less since 3.13.

In this game, Stonehenge went down in the early 1700 BC, followed closely by Roosie's Great Wall.

It was too temptating - I went this way. Instead of building the Oracle in Amsterdam, I decided also to put it in my second city - Urtrech - this way Amsterdam remains a place where I will put the GLib very soon.

I went workers&settlers from Amsterdam & Kyoto, sticking some granaries / libraries here and there.

After Pottery, I went for Mathematics and Code Of Laws.

(Okay, no need to do any special drums stuff - you all already now :))

With some tedious an@l MM and careful two chops, the CoL and Oracle were done on the same turn making this long-forgotten friend possible - let me present to you :

Yes, as from turn 82 (825 B.C.), I'm running Bureaucracy & Caste System (I never was good at Caste System - maybe now it's time to learn). I even forgot to convert to Confu with all this money flowing in. - Reminder for the next turnset!

Since then, I backfilled Masonry for Marble, IW for jungle clearing and gems and going the Music way.

Litterature is one turn away and Amsterdam is ready to get the GLib pretty soon.

I even got a nice quest - conquer Portugal in the next 100 - considering options :mischief: :

One more city, and the turnset went to its end, sadly:

Here is a brief state of the world :

I am happy to have sealed the north for the remaining cities. There is enough place to put at least four very decent ones.
Given the quest, I'm tempted to go after Joao, but as Swiss Pauli has noticed, he may prove to be a valuable partner, so maybe I'll leave him alone.

Has someone already had this kind of quest ? Do you know the reward ( to check if it's worth going for it )?

And the Culturimatrix (WE WANT THE GRAPH!!!) ;):

Can't wait to play next one!

Time to check for your turns :scan:

Some comments on the 2 round:

Spoiler :

@Kodii
Very nice job with grabbing both religions in one hit :)
I agree on the chop/whip thing for the early rush - before MLG3 I never really appreciated the huge effect of such thing. Forests & pop re-grow anyway :whipped:

@Swiss Pauli
I wonder how will work the keeping Toku friendly tactic - I was never good at it :) Still, you are on the right side of the Axis - nice way to pick your common ennemy. And you are the best placed to grab the future shrine and all his wonders :goodjob:

@azaris
Just loved your pic of rushing Jags. Scared hell out of me :eek:
Nice grab with Kyoto - never say no to an early AI gift, especially when your capital is coastal.

@TriviAl
Two religions and two strong cities, I think you are have a nice grip on the game :goodjob: Wish you luck with the GLib - great minds think alike ;)

@Imhotep
Nice 'sandwich' tactic :lol:
I am amazed about Joao REXing in your game - he was more shy in mine. Does it draw a target over his head ?

Edited to a big lump of rambling comments!

Spoiler :

pawelo
Axe rush and a CS slingshot - now that's a strong start to the game! :) Figure your tech rate will be stratospheric?

Figure the Great Library would be great for this game - marble nearby and it's on the way to the ever lovely music and drama.

For your quest do you have to completely kill Joao off to complete it?

Kodii
Definitely some similarities there - lots of similarly positioned cities... but also:

Kodii said:
In all honesty, I didn't stop after the first 50 turns, I mean, how could you?
(One more turn... one more turn...)

I practically had to take a hammer to my fingers to stop playing this one when the turns were up. :)

Love that Philo slingshot from the Oracle - we used the same thing in the Holy Word SG and it was great - was really tempted with it, but figured all those axes might have slowed me down 'just enough'.

Swiss Pauli
That looks like a great opener there - Confucian shrine and allys could be good. Getting Toku on side looks very cool - betting he's a great friend to have?

That fish/Rice/Sugar city does look excellent.

Is it going to be that, the dye/gem and the capital as culture cities?

Greyfox
2 early religions and an oracle on turn 52 - wow! :)

Azaris
Even I'm Afraid of Me.
Made me lol - what is it about Monty! :)

Love to see those jags in action! Take it you're going to scare us further with Aztec sacrificial slavery? :)

Imhotep
I got that event as well. So wanted to go for the option you did, but I chickened out.

Nice grabbing Tokyo as well - a bonus city is good! Are you going to keep Osaka or burninate it?

Discovered this morning when trying to found Sid's Sushi in another game that, despite its claim to be a World Wonder, it counts as a National Wonder :mad:

Went to found it in Wall St/Hermitage City and was denied, was allowed to found in Oxford City, but was blocked when I wordlbuildered National Park into that city :wallbash:

Checked for any mention of it this in patch release notes and found none.

Top Bottom