1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Map 50x90] North America

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Sanotra, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Prelude

Hello gentlemen of the Colonization forum. I am pleased to announce that I will soon be releasing my third map for public use. North America. North America will be the third map which I have created for the Col2 fan base, and I have to say, my most favorite. North America contains 4500 square tiles. The landmass is similar to Colonial America, excluding the Caribbean and South or Central America. Because of this exclusion, there is a lot more land tiles in North America than there are in Colonial America. Hopefully making for a better game! :D It is strictly North America, and not all of it. Although I named the map North America, it truly covers only the eastern part of the continent. Why did I make this map? I really like Colonial America, but I had some problems with how it plays. Players starting near New England in Colonial America, scout a lot faster, and therefore receive a much better head start than players on Cuba or the islands. In North America, everyone gets a relatively even head start. The land is rich. I'm in the process of testing the map, and making necessary improvements to game play before I publish the original release. Go ahead and give any feed back below, and I will update this thread when version 1.0 is ready for download. I hope this map is well loved enough to earn the title of North America.

Version 1.0 Released
    Version 1.5 Released

North America v1.0 has been released, and is ready to be downloaded.

This is the download link. ​

Below are some screen shots of the map.
    Spoiler :

The first is a picture of the Nova Scotia region.
    The second reveals the state of Michigan, the Great Lakes region, and the northeastern seaboard.
    The third is an overview of the cotton states and the Appalachian mountains.
    The fourth is a picture of the Gulf Coast, from southeast Texas to Florida.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Making of North America v1.0

Just for fun, I thought I would quickly run through a few of the things that I did to make this map. Perhaps it may inspire people to make more maps for this amazing game.

Step One is preparing the right map. I find my maps on-line, and rotate them to the desired angle, if necessary, and then trim to the right size.

In this particular case, I turned this map
    Spoiler :

into this
    Spoiler :

Step Two, open the map in GimpShop, and create a visual grid with squares 10 pixels by 10 pixels. In the case of North America, the map is 500 pixels by 900 pixels, as planned. The grid then splits the map into 4500 squares, 50 squares wide by 90 squares tall. These tiles correlate perfectly with the tiles in the world builder.

Here is an example of this process using the West Indies map. The map is 880 pixels by 580 pixels, or 88 tiles wide by 58 tiles tall once the grid has been set. I use two colors, green and blue, to distinguish land and sea. I then trace the edges of the land in the original map, with an easy to see color guide.
    Spoiler :

Step Three, is opening up a worldinfo file and editing the map size for a huge map. I set the size to 50 x 90. Then I proceed to open up the map in a normal game, and then open the world builder. In the world builder, I delete the generate random world. Using my gimp edited map as a guide with the grids, I trace the new land masses into the ocean.

Step Four, after tracing the basic landmasses, use a physical map of the region to place mountains, hills, and rivers.
    Spoiler :

Step Five, to make the game playable, I set up the equivalent of temporary cities all over the map. Using the guides seen below, I have carefully chosen terrain type and forestation. My general formula for an optimal colony is generally 1-2 hills per town, 2 forests, 3 farm or coastal tiles, and the rest specializing in trade (tobacco, cotton, etc.). Playing North America, you will see this formula is pretty prevalent, and there is an optimal place to put most every city, unless natives get in the way, or randomized resources upset the balance.
    Spoiler :

I just recently started to do step five. Steps five and four can be done at the same time. I kept going back and forth while making North America.

2. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

-Reserved for potential use -

3. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Version 1.0 North America has been released!

4. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Warlord

Hi Sanotra, :)

I have test your map. Very interesting! Some details:

• Some of your rivers are flowing into the wrong direction. The direction of a river is determined by the direction of the movements using the river button of the world builder.
    • Many lakes haven't the plot type "coast", but "ocean". Perhaps that can generate problems for example for the TAC feature of whaling or some AI decisions. Besides it isn't pretty.
    • Often the distance of eastern europe transfer plots to the continent is so small that ships, which are arriving from Europe, can go to the coast immediately. That will change the balancing. It won't be possible to use ships to kill royal troops before they can reach America. And using privateers will be more difficult too.

5. Dazio

Dazio Chieftain

Very good job, Sanotra !

6. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Thanks Writing Bull. :)

To comment on your details.
    About the rivers. I know I placed them pretty erratically on this map. This was done because of the sheer volume of rivers in the real world. As far as the direction. Do you mean some river mouths are flowing inland out of the sea? You'd have to show me an example. I don't see that anywhere.
    The lakes were made to not look like a coast, because on a personal note I feel that this is more realistic looking. I may change that if more people admit tastes to the contrary. As far as practical problems associated with the TAC whaling resource... as many times as I've tested the map, I haven't seen the whale resource appear inland, not even in the Great Lakes.
    The Europe plots are exactly 4 tiles away from land. This promotes faster economics, but I can change it if the players demand it. Defending against the REF requires a blockade of the coast, meaning a Ship of the Line on every coastal tile.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

7. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Thanks Dazio! :thumbsup:

8. Writing Bull

Writing Bull Warlord

Yes. :)

There are a lot of rivers with a wrong direction. Sorry, I can't document them all. I might advise you to check all rivers. Some of those problems originate from connecting coasts: There are some rivers which have their springs at an ocean and their estuaries at another one.

9. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

I'll take another look. Thanks Writing Bull! :)

10. Cole98

Cole98 AKA CerebralPolicy

Canada is not a tundra, Northern Qubec is, and also the Applachians are not that wide and they are more of hills than mountains

11. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

As far as I care with this game, Tundra is simply snow covered grassland to me. It snows commonly in the north, that's why I put the "tundra" there. I don't think you will find pine forests on Tundra anyways. The permafrost tile is more akin to tundra, but I could be wrong. I would say it's more of a mistaken name on Sid Meiers part, than an actual climate flaw.

I would heartily disagree that the Appalachians are more akin to hills than mountains, but your entitled to your own opinion. It's all relative I suppose. While judging the width of the mounta-erhm-hill range, I used this map below:
    Spoiler :

Your welcome to give it a shot on your own. Making the map from scratch that is, and not having any snow in Canada. I'll download it for sure, and let you know what I think. :)

12. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

I think that some terrains needs adjustments or some type of smooth transition amongst them. Anyway, as you say: that has nothing to do with your map but with the way the game has been programmed, and therefore with mods.

Taking a look at any map, in a zone all has to be green, arid or snow... maybe a bit more of variety would be useful for the AI too...
    Maybe we could create some type of new feature (easier) or terrain to improve these inaccuracies...

This map looks great,
    Apart from that, this map seems mostly equilibrated with natural placement of terrains... take into consideration Sitting Bull suggestions and it will be mostly perfect.
    I specially like the possibility to colonize inland (something not present in most maps...) and fight against the REF far from the coast.

I miss something in this North America map (but it's logical considering the previous discussion), Hudson bay for ex.

Did you discovered the problem with EuropeTiles?

13. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

I don't really have many great ideas for terrain features. I will say this though. I do wish that all flat land was not at the same feet sea level wise. For example, if I have a settlement on the coast, presumably 10-400 feet above sea level, and a settlement in the Appalachians on flat land, presumably 4000 feet above sea level... there is no transition. With a quick scroll of the mouse, they both look like there even height wise. Also, I wish the plains were not brown, but green. Cotton can be grown on green fields. We should have multiple options for tile placement. Green grassland on which you can grow tobacco or cotton, and Brown grassland which visually transitions better to desert, which can grow cotton, and other things depending on the mod.

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully v1.25 will be perfect.
    Fighting inland is a cool feature. I hope you have many great stories to tell.

You've got the tip of the Hudson bay. :)

Haven't figured out what is wrong with the Europe tiles yet.

14. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Thank you very much for your map! I was trying to use the new East Coast map shipped with final release of TAC and was very unhappy with that map. Basically, if one would chose to settle 13 colonies in their historic locations it would amount to nearly impossible game. 4 tribes make them mega tribes, in one war I killed nearly 100 Indians! There is no cotton in sight, I had to wait 40+ for my wagons to buy Cotton and return to my coastal cities! With your map I get more hills, more cotton, nice solution for Long Island and Delaware, and Large map plays better than Huge when you have East Coast only.

15. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

You're welcome Tigranes. Thanks for the feedback!

16. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Version 1.5 has been released!

Changes in v1.5

[1of4]
    The Chesapeake Bay has been reverted back to coastal plots.

[2of4]
    Fixed the direction of rivers. Now all rivers end in the ocean.

[3of4] Removed a couple of the islands off the coast of Florida. This significant change should make Florida more playable, and make way for easier game play in the Gulf of Mexico. Cuba is now closer to the Europe tiles as well. Although removing the islands diminishes the geographic realism of the map. I felt it was necessary to make the southern part of the map playable. I will consider re-adding the islands if the public demands it.

[4of4] Added more woodland to the coast. In effect this has cleared a little more space for European settlement along the coast. But the natives which are in the region appear to be spawning stronger.

17. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Sorry for my recent absence, and for the continued absence here in the future. I have been given a short reprieve from real life. Just long enough to drop a couple things on ye, including v1.5 of North America. Let me know what you think!

18. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

I will try it next week.

That looks sweet for possible coastal ships...

19. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Change 1of4 is simply an aesthetic or visual change, and does not altar gameplay, as far as I know.

20. Isabelxxx

Isabelxxx DoaNE Explorer

No for vanilla, but you can take that as game-play change if you use small ships which can only move through coastal/lake plots for ex. (Doane)

Also bonus/feature generation can change.