1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Map descriptions?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by SteelSterling, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SteelSterling

SteelSterling Chieftain

Is there somewhere that has a description for the different map types? I usually play custom continents but want something a little different. I like continents because I like the adventure aspect. I enjoy not knowing who is out there. I especially think it's fun when I think I'm top dog, find a new continent and and the first civ I come across has twice as many cities. Do any of the other maps offer something similar or are they more or less one large land mass? It just seems most map improvements are being made to the other ones so I want to get used to setting up and using them. Thanks.

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Try Toffers C2C_World Map with Start Everywhere. Or Perfect Mongoose with start Everywhere and Break Pangaea with Meteor, mediumd or Low sea levels.

3. SteelSterling

SteelSterling Chieftain

Awesome! I'll try one of those. Thank you for the suggestion sir!

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

You are Welcome.

5. Shoobs

Shoobs Chieftain

I personally use Planet Generator 68, due to the fact it gives me alot of control of how the world is built.

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

And I occasionally I like to use the stock Archipelago Map too. Low seas, many Islands.

We have many maps to use. But most players settle on a favorite and don't explore the others from what I've seen posted over the years.

7. Sakura Matou

Sakura Matou Chieftain

I have been using perfect world 2f, Are Mongoose and C2C world better in general? Also do they both give me realistic biospheres and land masses like Perfect World?

8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Mongoose is a more developed and complex version of perfect world 2, and C2C World is a more developed and complex version of Mongoose

Sakura Matou likes this.
  9. Sakura Matou

Sakura Matou Chieftain

Good to know Toffer! I will use C2C world next game when I do my "Ancient Aliens" Game.

10. Rmi

Rmi Chieftain

I use c2c world as my standard.
    It lets you tweak rivers, hills, peaks and resources with %.
    There is also a pangeabreaker. If you put it on, you get something akin to a continents map.
    Without it, you will not get a pangea map necessarily but it will most likely be possible to explore most of the world with just seafaring vessels.

Resources are varied but are usually restricted to 1 or 2 continents like on earth. You will not have everything on one landmass.
    Resources at 200% means a lot, a whole damn lot.
    It's very stingy with rivers, even at 150%. There are very few and even then most are 1 or 2 tiles long. (might just be my sample size)

There will be sea-ice, trenches and all other terrain types. Also big swaths of permafrost.

Sakura Matou likes this.
  11. Sakura Matou

Sakura Matou Chieftain

So Rmi do you suggest I use the "More Rivers" option?

Also how are the strategic resource spawn rates? That was my biggest gripe about Perfect world.

12. Rmi

Rmi Chieftain

Strategic resources are fair. You will get some metals but you might have to spread out to get it all.
    Some stuff, like sulphur, might spawn in mountains only forcing you to wait for it till mountaineering.
    Also c2c is relatively generous with 'new resource found' events. That gold and lead usually pops up at some point.

If a game goes awry because of lack of a single resource, consider using the editor. If you invest up to 100 hours in 1 game, giving you or the AI a strategic resource to keep the game more interesting is fine.

Sakura Matou likes this.
  13. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

The "More Rivers" game-option doesn't do anything for perfect world, Mongoose or the World mapscripts.

14. Sakura Matou

Sakura Matou Chieftain

Safe to Assume it is the same with "More resources" option?

15. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

It is.

Sakura Matou likes this.
  16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Not always. It all depends on whether the map script defines its own rivers or resources placement routines and does or does not in so doing use the option switch in its coding. The DEFAULT map script generation in the DLL uses these options and a lot of the scripts fall back on those but the most advanced ones don't... this doesn't necessarily mean that's a good thing in some cases. Of course, as with everything, opinions vary a lot on these matters. I would urge python mapscript makers and editors to find a way to let the options work to influence things in their setups if for no other reason than they are there and helpful to that cause.

For a player, it's hard to know which ones do and which ones don't apply to either one and some may let one but not the other apply.

Don't let my answer confuse you though. Toffer knows these mapscripts and which ones have coding that allow the options to work and which ones don't. So he's more qualified as an authority on the specifics there than I am.

17. Sakura Matou

Sakura Matou Chieftain

Yeah just was taking Toffer's word for it. Also is their a way to change the number of civs that can spawn on a map? Say if I was using a huge map can I Make the same amounts of civs spawn on it as say a giant map? ((Mainly because I use Barb Civs and Revolutions and want more then disorganized rebels to spawn during a revolution when that civ limit is maxed))

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The DLL has a hard coded limit to the amount of Player Civs (including AIs) ever defined. For good reasons. The limit is 40 I think...maybe 39. 10 are set aside for NPC slots, many of which are in use and more are planned.

19. Sakura Matou

Sakura Matou Chieftain

Ok makes sense then, just stinks when a Civ is wiped out that slot isn't replaced with a non barb Rev CiV.

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Wiped out civs are still defined so they can be tracked for the end of game playback sequence.