[Map] Giant Earth Map

Just found a clean heightmap of Australia, so I redid it on the map, moved Lake Eyre to the NW and edited/added some rivers
Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-27_9-46-25.png

And terrain is done.

A few selected screens below

Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_2-11-37.png

Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_2-15-49.png

Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_2-17-2.png

Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_2-19-44.png

(suggestion de présentation of Mount Roraima by Elhoim, it looks great that way !)
Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_2-22-33.png

Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_2-23-16.png

Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_2-24-0.png

Next are Resources deposits and Special Features (oasis, Reefs, Geysers,...), then testing and balance for the next few days months years.

(suggestion de présentation of Mount Roraima by Elhoim, it looks great that way !)

Thanks! I'll definitely make some adjustments to the Huge Earth based on yours, if you don't mind =)

Next are Resources deposits and Special Features (oasis, Reefs, Geysers,...)

I really, REALLY hope that they take my suggestion of adding resource icon markers on the editor, it's a real pain to keep track of them. Also suggested a counter.

Your map looks simply gorgeous - and it's great to hear that Humankinds engine seems to handle it size-wise. As someone who enjoys real huuuge worlds most, I'm looking forward to play with it - even with the very first alpha version of it :)

This look so beautiful, and I love that the game seems to support bigger map sizes so I can finally use a giant one. Thank you for your work, hope to be able to play it soon!

Quick map making questions @Elhoim (sorry to bother you, but there are not a lot of mapmakers... yet)

Can you use waterfalls ? if yes how do you place them ?

About small island, the Map Editor will complain if they are not independent ocean territory (ie all land tiles in a land territory must be reachable by any other land tile of that territory), but such a map seems to load for playing, do you know the consequences ? (AI issues ?)

TIA

And question for everyone, now I need you help for the final stage: where should I place the resources and features ?

For strategic and luxuries I don't want to place too many of them, but I also don't want to have too many territories without resources, and I also want to have at least iron, horses and copper not too far from the starting positions.

I'd also want them to be where they can be found IRL (both resources/features)

For reference the current starting positions, they will change, my long-term goal is to have a base map to use with a mod where you'll pick the next culture based on the territories you own.
Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-28_12-50-53.png

I'd also like to mod spawning AI players during the game, for example starting with 3-4 players, ending with 10, additional players being added from Culture not selected by the previous players, if their territory is free or owned by independent people. As said, long term goal, but already in my mind for the initial spawn positions.

I'd also like to have at least 2 on the new world, but ATM the Map Editor reset number one (the human player in a SP game) to the position with the lowest latitude, which is one on the New World, which I do not want. So they'll come later.

Back to resources, I'll like positions for 5 uranium, ~6 aluminium, ~8 Oil, ~10 Salpetre, and ~12-15 Iron, Copper, Horses.

I'd also like 2-4 of each luxuries.

And below the features I'd like to place realistically (no limit on number)

• Black Soil
  • Cave (done)
  • Clay
  • Coral Reef (done)
  • Craters (done)
  • Dimension Stones
  • Geysers (done)
  • Hot Springs (done)
  • Huge Trees (done)
  • Hydrothermal Vents (done)
  • Marsh (done)
  • Oasis (done)
  • Reefs
  • River Spring
  • Terra Rosa
  • Volcano Earth

Last edited:
Quick map making questions @Elhoim (sorry to bother you, but there are not a lot of mapmakers... yet)

No problem at all =)

Can you use waterfalls ? if yes how do you place them ?

Yes, they are a feature you can place. Ideally, placed on rivers that fall through a cliff. It won't be visually different on the editor, but in game the particles will spawn and the tile will be a waterfall.

About small island, the Map Editor will complain if they are not independent ocean territory (ie all land tiles in a land territory must be reachable by any other land tile of that territory), but such a map seems to load for playing, do you know the consequences ? (AI issues ?)

That could cause AI issues I was told by the devs.

As a side note, I see that you start some rivers in mountains. I did so at some point, but that kinda makes the tiles OP as river infrastructures would apply to the tiles. So I decided to follow the game rules and add the river spring on them.

Regarding resources, I did a lot of "research" (more like google searches jajaja). Since the game takes over 6000 years, the deposits could be ones that were great at some point and now gone, or you can take the current biggest producers. At some point it depends more on what you want to use for gameplay, but here are some sources for ideas. I attached a PSD file with mineral resources ideas, and here's a list that I did with potential locations for the luxury ones:

upload_2021-8-28_10-48-56.png

My idea was to make some limited to some areas, while others being "global". BTW, Papyrus is very OP early on, so I ended up just making it 1 source in Egypt. All the 3 per City/Admin Center are OP, but Papyrus is the worse as it makes you fly through the tech tree early on, with no investment.

Attachments

• HK_Resource_Map.7z
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
Absolutely beautiful work.

Couple of notes:

First, the 'forest belt' in Russia extends down to about 100 kilometers south of Moscow, the modern line of Tula - Kazan, and northern France and most of Germany would be almost solid Forest - Scientific American had an article last year on the spread of the Oak family of trees at the end of the last glaciation period across Europe and North America on the extent.

And it's a shame the game doesn't (yet!) allow changes in the Biome/terrain, because at the nominal 'start of game' in 15,000 BCE, the Sahara was grassy plains with lots of rivers and lakes - it didn't 'dry out' until about 4000 BCE. There was a huge glacial lake covering most of central Canada (Lake Ojibway and its predecessors) which burst its ice dam and disappeared about 6000 - 6200 BCE, and Britain in 15,000 was still part of the European land mass - the channel and the North Sea didn't appear completely in modern form until about 6500 BCE. There was also an 'extra' large shallow lake/sea between the Caspian and Black Seas that drained into the Black Sea between 11000 and 8000 BCE, 'filling up' the Black Sea to its present dimensions. And of course, until the last of the glaciation period, the sea levels in general were as much as 200 feet lower than now, so the coast lines would be, in places, wildly different. Hopefully, the game will get more in-game variation possible, especially early in the Ages, with a Patch/DLC.

Resources:
Obsidian and Lead were both available in the Ancient Age in southern Anatolia.
Copper was worked from deposits in the Caucasus Mountains by both the Maikop Culture to the north and the Mesopotamia early Civs/Factions like Sumer and Babylon. And one of the largest accessible Copper deposits in the world was at the western end of the Great Lakes, that was accessed by Native Americans 1000s of years before Contact with Europeans.
Spain was a major source of Copper, Lead, Silver and Iron in Ancient and Classical Ages
The historically significant Silver deposits were in Greece, central Europe (Bohemia), South America (Bolivia), and western North America (Nevada, the 'Comstock Lode')

It would be really nice to have 'progressive revelation' of deposits in the game. That way you could have Visible Deposits of Oil in southern Mesopotamia and the Caucasus (Baku) (surface naptha/bitumin 'springs') and western North America (La Brea in California) from Start of Game, then add other Oil Deposits later, ending with the undersea fields in the North Sea and Caribbean in the late Contemporary Age

[...]

Regarding resources, I did a lot of "research" (more like google searches jajaja). Since the game takes over 6000 years, the deposits could be ones that were great at some point and now gone, or you can take the current biggest producers. At some point it depends more on what you want to use for gameplay, but here are some sources for ideas. I attached a PSD file with mineral resources ideas, and here's a list that I did with potential locations for the luxury ones:

View attachment 606971

My idea was to make some limited to some areas, while others being "global". BTW, Papyrus is very OP early on, so I ended up just making it 1 source in Egypt. All the 3 per City/Admin Center are OP, but Papyrus is the worse as it makes you fly through the tech tree early on, with no investment.
Thanks for sharing, will save a lot of time !

I've also found back the old thread we made for R.E.D. WWII, which also illustrate how resources should be able to be discovered later on as Boris suggest, especially strategic in the late eras as it was not easy to find maps of what was available in 1936-1939 vs "today".

[...]

And it's a shame the game doesn't (yet!) allow changes in the Biome/terrain, because at the nominal 'start of game' in 15,000 BCE, the Sahara was grassy plains with lots of rivers and lakes - it didn't 'dry out' until about 4000 BCE. There was a huge glacial lake covering most of central Canada (Lake Ojibway and its predecessors) which burst its ice dam and disappeared about 6000 - 6200 BCE, and Britain in 15,000 was still part of the European land mass - the channel and the North Sea didn't appear completely in modern form until about 6500 BCE. There was also an 'extra' large shallow lake/sea between the Caspian and Black Seas that drained into the Black Sea between 11000 and 8000 BCE, 'filling up' the Black Sea to its present dimensions. And of course, until the last of the glaciation period, the sea levels in general were as much as 200 feet lower than now, so the coast lines would be, in places, wildly different. Hopefully, the game will get more in-game variation possible, especially early in the Ages, with a Patch/DLC.

[...]
Thanks, added forests, noted for the ancient known deposits.

And yep, first thought I had when I launched the editor and seen it used the in game graphic engine was "great, so terrain change should be possible without reloading then"

Dynamic resources, pretty sure once I'm familiar with both the game and the modding framework we'll have more discussions about that.

Edit: added most features using the "X best place with Y" lists we found around the web, could always add those missing later.

Still need to place:
  • Black Soil
  • Clay
  • Dimension Stones
  • Algae
  • River Spring
  • Terra Rosa
  • Volcano Earth
  • Animals
  • Berry Bushes
I'll use most as bonus for territories without resources I think.

There are also Reefs (not Coral, those are placed) for which I'd wish to use real world notable locations, but I can't find a list, there are only Coral Reefs list.

Last edited:
The problem with reefs/shoals is that they change relatively frequently and randomly in game terms: one good storm/Typhoon/Hurricane coming through can re-arrange an entire Region's coast characteristics. Nautical charts or navigation information would be the best source for modern reefs/shoals/dangerous water, but the historical placements will probably take a lot of digging.

Beta 1 is almost ready, doing a simple balance pass on starting positions ATM.

Your map looks simply gorgeous - and it's great to hear that Humankinds engine seems to handle it size-wise. As someone who enjoys real huuuge worlds most, I'm looking forward to play with it - even with the very first alpha version of it :)
So who else want to beta test ?

Greece is really ugly. To much Resources near together. Small river would be cool near Athens. :undecide:
Some mountains like Olymp would be nice

Greece is really ugly. To much Resources near together. Small river would be cool near Athens. :undecide:
Some mountains like Olymp would be nice

Resources moved out, Olympus added, how would you place the river ? one-tile rivers don't work.
Spoiler :
upload_2021-8-31_1-15-56.png

Juhu :goodjob: much better. What about this River : it represents the
Gulf of Corinth

Attachments

• Greece.jpg
    Greece.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom