map interface

ununcle

Warlord
I think civ 4's interface is much more complex and better then 5 or 6, and just discovered something that I can't seem to find discussed here, or anywhere for that matter. I tried google, but nothing. Anyways, if you press the plus or minus key on the numbers pad on your keyboard, a city will come up with the borders of that city's workable tiles highlighted. If you continue to press the plus or minus keys it will cycle through your cities with the selected cities workable tiles. You'll see circles over the workable plots within that cities range. The circles are 4 different colors, red, green and yellow and blue. Red seems to be a plot you can either improve a different way or an unconnected resource, green seems to signify it's all good, blue seems to be tiles the cities not working, and yellow just seems to signify it's a water tile. Is there something else I'm missing about this feature? Also why isn't this front and center in many strat guides on how to improve cities? Once I get this figured out it's going to be so much easier managing my workers.

I never heard of such a thing but that would probably be because I rarely play original Civ 4.
I'm guessing @lymond probably knows something about this.
Anyway I'll try pressing the - + key and see if that actually happens.

By the way, this is "beyond the sword", with the "Better Bat AI" mod. Maybe it's a feature of the "bug" mod.

Then of course there are no discussion about this.
This is probably a feature of BUG. It is probably discussed in the BUG subforum.

Are you the "discussion Keeper"? The guardian of all discussions? You just said you don't even play Civ 4 anymore or "regular" or Vanilla or whatever you meant. This is the "General discussion" forum. Even if it is the Bug mod (which it is) are mods not allowed to be discussed in the "GENERAL" Civ 4 Forum? I didn't feel like wading through hundreds of pages so I brought it up here. In the "GENERAL" discussion forum. It's a great feature. Whatever, sorry for cluttering the mostly untrafficked board with something you never even heard of.

Are you the "discussion Keeper"? The guardian of all discussions
No, but that would be pretty interesting:lol:! Anyway I recently found out about the forum (half a year) so I have no idea if this was discussed before or not.
By the way, this is "beyond the sword", with the "Better Bat AI" mod. Maybe it's a feature of the "bug" mod.
Well I guess mods are allowed to be mentioned in the GENERAL discussion forum because BUG and Better Bat AI where just mentioned.
I think civ 4's interface is much more complex and better then 5 or 6, and just discovered something that I can't seem to find discussed here, or anywhere for that matter. I tried google, but nothing.
That is why I said there are no discussion of it, there might be but I was going with what you said.
You just said you don't even play Civ 4 anymore or "regular" or Vanilla or whatever you meant.
Yeah I don't play Vanilla anymore because I installed Blue Marble and realized that I preferred the original graphics but I think Blue Marble alters the original files or something because I can't get it out of Civ 4 Vanilla, not that I played Vanilla a lot before. BtS is I think the best civ 4 expansion to play on and Warlords also has some good mods. But this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
No, but that would be pretty interesting:lol:! Anyway I recently found out about the forum (half a year) so I have no idea if this was discussed before or not.

Oh my mistake. I misunderstood you. You were saying it most likely hadn't been discussed here being that it's a mod feature. I thought your we're implying it shouldn't be discussed here. Sorry about that. Anyways, I just started up a new game and this feature is such a quality of life improvement. hit the plus and shift through your cities looking for red. No more hunting down unimproved tiles.

Oh my mistake. I misunderstood you. You were saying it most likely hadn't been discussed here being that it's a mod feature. I thought your we're implying it shouldn't be discussed here. Sorry about that. Anyways, I just started up a new game and this feature is such a quality of life improvement. hit the plus and shift through your cities looking for red. No more hunting down unimproved tiles.
Oh, I understand! Hahaha! Misunderstanding!
I just want to help out in anyway I can by replying.
When I built workers I make them build mines on resources and pastures, and then I just click Automate Improvements.
I should play more BUG.

[QUOTE="Louis the XIV, post: 15947277, member: 328431"
Yeah I don't play Vanilla anymore because I installed Blue Marble and realized that I preferred the original graphics but I think Blue Marble alters the original files or something because I can't get it out of Civ 4 Vanilla.....[/QUOTE]

I tried Blue Marble long ago before Warlords or BTS ever came out. Like you, I decided that I liked the original graphics better. After much searching, I found that it was installed in CustomAssets. I got rid of it by copying everything that I knew I had put in CoustomAssets to a temporary file and then deleting CustomAssets. Starting up CIV created a new CustomAssets file. Then I copied the stuff from the temporay file back to where it belonged in CustomAssets.

I tried Blue Marble long ago before Warlords or BTS ever came out. Like you, I decided that I liked the original graphics better. After much searching, I found that it was installed in CustomAssets. I got rid of it by copying everything that I knew I had put in CoustomAssets to a temporary file and then deleting CustomAssets. Starting up CIV created a new CustomAssets file. Then I copied the stuff from the temporay file back to where it belonged in CustomAssets.
It worked! Wow I haven't played Civ 4 Vanilla for 8 years! I barley recognized the graphics as they are:lol:!
Anyway good to have the original version of Civ 4 playable.

It worked! Wow I haven't played Civ 4 Vanilla for 8 years! I barley recognized the graphics as they are:lol:!
Anyway good to have the original version of Civ 4 playable.
Well, I did explain that to you recently;)

Well, I did explain that to you recently;)
Yeah, funny story that happened. After you explained that to me I guessed that the Blue Marble was in the Custom Assets and I deleted the CA folder from Vanilla version because I wanted to play a Vanilla mod without Blue Marble terrain. I opened the mod without opening Civ 4 Vanilla (I usually open my mods by with the Mod Chooser tool) but now I think that mod was already using Blue Marble terrain without me realizing so I assumed that the Vanilla still had them:lol:!
Anyway even if it still had the blue marble graphics it wouldn't have been such a big loss to me because I play BTS which is basically Vanilla with some new stuff, and lots of mods.

Some mods include BM or have their own updated terrain/water graphics. I love BM - far superior to van graphics and one can change UI color from that gawdy blue.

BTS is quite different from Van and much much improved. It is the definitive version of IV. That’s why everyone plays BTS and most all mods are for it.

Some mods include BM or have their own updated terrain/water graphics. I love BM - far superior to van graphics and one can change UI color from that gawdy blue.

BTS is quite different from Van and much much improved. It is the definitive version of IV. That’s why everyone plays BTS and most all mods are for it.
Of course I can't argue with that, BM is not to bad but I am used to the original graphics. Anyway after I installed DoC (which uses BM) I played so much that now I'm very used to BM.
A quick question, is the BM from Vanilla different then the one from BtS?

Top Bottom