Map of Beleriand (126x80)

AndrewDJ

Warlord
This is the first time I've ever posted on a forum--Civ IV is cool enough to make me delurk. :D

Anyway, this is a map of Beleriand, from the First Age of Tolkien's Middle Earth. I used as a base a very zoomed-out screenshot of the map from my favorite Civ II scenario, Dagor Bragollach: Battle of Sudden Flame, stretched vertically a bit, and started tracing, then ran it through the BMP to WBS program.

It's got height, terrain, features, and rivers, but not resources; it was run through at a setting of seven civilizations and it needs tweaking for things like starting locations, etc. Unfortunately, its X-Y dimensions are 126 by 80 :eek: and on my 1.1 GHz Celeron, 320 MB Ram, 64 MB GeForce3 Ti rig it takes five-plus minutes to open the darn thing, so I'm not really in a position to make changes until I've saved enough for an upgraded rig.

Anyway, here it is, along with the bitmaps, knock yerselves out wi' it.

Andrew

Attachments

• Beleriand.zip
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,114
  • Beleriand_BMPs.zip
    6 KB · Views: 842
This reminds me of my own War of the Jewels mod for Civ II. I'd love to see a version of it for Civ IV but my big weakness has always been art. I can design maps just fine but units and leaderheads are out of the question.

Eh, a screenie of the map would probably crash my computer, but here's an enlargement of the Beleriand_R.bmp, which gives you some of the flavor.

The major river system in the center is in the Forest of Doriath, the ring of hills to the south-west is Nargothrond, the ring of mountains just to the northwest of Doriath is Gondolin, and the arc of mountains in the center of the north edge is Thangorodrim/Angband. The north-south chain of mountains in the east is the Ered Luin. The hilly region immediately north of Doriath is Dorthonion, while the mountain range separating Dorthonion and Doriath is the Ered Gorgoroth, the Mountains of Terror.

The patch of tundra between Ered Gorgoroth and Dorthonion is supposed to be Nan Dungortheb, the Valley of Dreadful Death.

Andrew

Attachments

• Beleriand_RL.bmp
    472.6 KB · Views: 3,534
Heh, thanks. I read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit for the first time when I was eight or nine, tried to read the Silmarillion but got bored, then finally did read it when I was 14. I used to be a regular on ElendorMUSH back in the day, but I kinda outgrew it, I guess.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm working on a Third Age Map, based off of Harlan Thompson's Civ II scenario--another favorite. I've got height, terrain, and features done (subbing in jungle for swamp), but the rivers are giving me fits--once you shrink the bitmaps down, you can't see where the rivers are on the source bitmap. I think I can come up with a work-around, though.

Andrew

thank god for tolkein. I might have to give making a redwall map a go one day...

No, no resources. In part, that's because resource placement is to some extent a game-balancing issue, and I'm not very good at that. I had planned to put them in with WorldBuilder, but my PC is just barely below minimum specs, and trying to load a map the size of Beleriand is a Bad Thing. :sad: I'm running CIV on a Celeron 1.1 GHz with 320 MB RAM and a 64MB GeForce 3.

However, thanks to a timely inheritance, I should soon be replacing my slowpoke machine with an Alienware Area-51 5500. :D That should give me the oomph I need to play & edit huge maps.

Top Bottom