1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map of the northern hemisphere

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Node60, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Node60

Node60 Warlord

Can you tell me if someone created a large map of the northern hemisphere in polar projection? At first glance, it would be convenient for Cold War scenarios.

2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

3. Node60

Node60 Warlord

Civinator, thanks for link. The projection is good, but for my purposes this map is small. I would like half of the Earth :).

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Unfortunately I´m not aware of such a map.

5. Node60

Node60 Warlord

Anyway, thank you for trying to help.

6. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

If you can find an appropriate image of the map you are looking for (satellite or otherwise), the Civ3 editor I wrote has functionality to create maps of arbitrary sizes (of less than 65,536 total tiles) from BMP files. You'd have to do some work yourself, like placing rivers, resources, mountains, and various aspects of fine-tuning, as it can handle things like coastline well, generally differentiate arid/temperate/arctic/and forested areas, but has trouble with things like elevation and distinguishing jungles from other types of dense forests. Still, for getting the first draft of the terrain re-created, it's a lot more accurate than eyeballing it, and a lot quicker than charting it out on paper.

7. Node60

Node60 Warlord

Quintillus, this is a very interesting opportunity. I 'll definitely check it out, thank you.