[MAP] Ozzy's America - More Accurate Start

OzzyKP

Emperor
This is a map/scenario for those of you who want to play a more historical/realistic game. I've taken the great New World map by Modfather and added several terrain tweaks. Then I paired it with Dale's Age of Discovery II mod.

Age of Discovery II version:
DOWNLOAD HERE
Version .01
10-10-08

PatchMod version:
DOWNLOAD HERE
Version .01
10-17-08

All the natives have been placed in earth-accurate locations. I've also set the French, Dutch, English, Spanish, Portuguese and Pirates to start in more accurate locations so each are closer to more historical territory for them. The Spanish have been given a small head-start too. I've put the pirates back a bit further too, to give the civilized folk a few turns (not many!) to get established.

I've also tweaked the high seas, so no player is burdened by being too far away from Europe.

So if you are tired of playing as the English and ending up in Argentina next to the Sioux, this is the map/scenario for you!

To play you need Dale's Age of Discovery II mod. Unzip this file into your PublicMaps folder and enjoy!

To change leaders:
Spoiler :

1. Open up the map in a text editor (like Notepad).
2. Do a "find" (ctrl + f) for "BeginPlayer"
3. You'll see a list of all the leaders in the game. Find the one you want to change.
4. Find the lines that say something like:
LeaderType=LEADER_ADAMS
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_ADAMS

5. Change that to any of the following leaders:

LeaderType=LEADER_WASHINGTON
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_WASHINGTON

LeaderType=LEADER_ADAMS
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_ADAMS

LeaderType=LEADER_CHAMPLAIN
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_CHAMPLAIN

LeaderType=LEADER_FRONTENAC
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_FRONTENAC

LeaderType=LEADER_BOLIVAR
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_BOLIVAR

LeaderType=LEADER_SAN_MARTIN
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_SAN_MARTIN

LeaderType=LEADER_DONCK
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_DONCK

LeaderType=LEADER_STUYVESANT
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_STUYVESANT

6. Save the file, then play. :)

Cool. I did the same thing with this map for this mod only I gave each civ 2 historical starting cities (except for the pirates) by just opening the World Builder on the first turn, making changes and saving. Oh I did also edit New England a bit by making the St. Laurance River longer for better settlement sites for Quebec and Montreal and reshaped Maine/Nova Scotia so that there was room for Jamestown, New Amsterdam and Plymoth as well as a few Native settlements all on the Eastern seaboard without overlapping. I didn't change the high sea zones though. How did you do that?

edit:
not to high jack your thread but here's what I did.

edit(2) if you have trouble getting playing this map try saving it in your world builder and rename it. Thanks comtedmeighan for the fix!

Attachments

• Ozzy's AmericasWstarts.zip
    33.5 KB · Views: 184
Very cool... although I was wondering if you might do one of these without the need for Dale's Age of Discovery II mod. I'd love to play this scenario with the vanilla Colonization too.

Thanks ;)

Cool. I did the same thing with this map for this mod only I gave each civ 2 historical starting cities (except for the pirates) by just opening the World Builder on the first turn, making changes and saving. Oh I did also edit New England a bit by making the St. Laurance River longer for better settlement sites for Quebec and Montreal and reshaped Maine/Nova Scotia so that there was room for Jamestown, New Amsterdam and Plymoth as well as a few Native settlements all on the Eastern seaboard without overlapping. I didn't change the high sea zones though. How did you do that?

edit:
not to high jack your thread but here's what I did.

Hey this one with the starts crashes the game if you play anybody but the French.

another thing how do I edit the one with the starts so I can play marathon? I have an awesome game going with it but it says I got 95 turns left but I'm playing on marathon. I still have over 600 turns left...

Ah crap, sorry about that. I realized that mistake myself and fixed it, but haven't released the new version yet..

I've got good news and badnews for you. Good news is you can go into the world builder, save the game, open that save file in a text editor and change "MaxTurns=300" to "MaxTurns=" or "MaxTurns=0" I forget which. Then play that game and you'll have the expected number of turns to finish the game.

The BAD news is that all the goods in all your cities will be erased. All your political, exploration, military, etc points will be erased. The info on Indian cities (what they train, what goods they want) is reset/erased. There may be a few more things too, but those are the major problems.

All your cities, buildings, and units should be ok though. So... it is your call. I'll try to get a new version up tonight.

@comtedemeighan
oops! The map version I posted was the one for playing with the AOE II mod. Easy fix, dl the mod. I just tried it as the Portugesse and it worked fine. About game speed, yes you'll have to edit the file by changing the default game speed to get the right number of turns.

edit: I just saw that you posted in the AOEII forum so I assume you already have the mod. Just unzip this WBS file to the public maps folder of the mod.

I was wondering about the "turns left until victory" part myself. I also noticed that when I started a Custom Scenario that none of the European powers would actually start a settlement and I would have to go into the world editor myself and give them a starting city. Once I did that they took off as normal. I was cruising along in one game and just thought it was strange that since running into the initial ships of a few powers that I didn't see them settling as normal or expanding.

Just thought it was worth mentioning, Nice job on the natives by the way it makes settling in New York and the Northeast nicer not running into the Aztecs.

@10th legion

Could you try my posted map with each civ getting two starting cities and tell me if your having the same problem as comtedemeighan?

I will give it another go tonight when I get home. I gave it a two trys the other night and both times I lost the game on the fisrt turn because of a European victory.

Davenbak I tried reinstalling your map again its in the AODII public maps folder. Its a great map man I love the historic start sites for the other European civs :) but it still either crashes or the ai win a victory after the first turn the French are still the only faction I can play. Also one minor thing on of the Portugeuse cities is named Cape Bretton which is a french city. I figured out what I did wrong with the turn thing I gotta start a custom scenario and change the time to marathon. I just started scenario with marathon from the regular scenario screen. Ugh just wish I new I had to change the turn thing I got an awesome game going to I can keep playing but I'll get no score :(

Alright I got the one with the starts to work I saved it in my world builder as something else and reloaded it. It works perfectly now I also saved the game I that was gonna end early in world builder loaded it as a custom scenario and have fixed the time limit thing so I got about another 600 turns until independence :D Well guy I just wanna say I love these maps thanks for making them :D

Glad to hear you got it figured out. For some reason editing the map directly through the text files didn't work like in civ4. The only way I could get it to work was by opening the World Builder editor in game on the first turn. This also fixed the bug of the AI sailing around instead of founding cities when you custom place units. The whole thing about starting in South America as the Brittish fighting Apaches was really getting on my nerves. Thanks Ozzy!

Anyone else have problems with the AI doing nothing with this map? Every time I play they either sit off the coast or sail around and never land their men, never start a colony, etc. Is there a quick fix for this? Thanks ahead of time.

Anyone else have problems with the AI doing nothing with this map? Every time I play they either sit off the coast or sail around and never land their men, never start a colony, etc. Is there a quick fix for this? Thanks ahead of time.
I know that Dale is working on fixing that problem right now. Davebenbak made a map using ozzy's original map thats further up the page here that gives the Euro civs 2 cities each in there historic locations so they don't sail around aimlessly. I'm playing a game with it now and the Euro Civs are expanding nicely and it just feels more historical with them starting in there parts of the new world.

Oh, about Cape Bretton as a second Portugesse city. That was the default name given when I founded the settlement so it is a function of Dale's mod. I guess you can go in and reorder or change the city list in the civ info file in the mod if it really bugs you. I pretty much made the same changes on another map only the second Spanish city was in Florida so I changed the switched the city list for the second city to be St. Augustine.

Technically all you need is is for each civ to have one city with a ship in each city.

In addition to starting units.

Top Bottom