1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map requests

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Custom maps' started by peyoan, Aug 14, 2011.

1. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

Hello. Don't often post, but i read often.

I'm very into civ games that include accurate maps of parts of the world (not the whole world as it's far far to big to do justice within the confines of size we are allowed).

I'm looking for requests for maps, of part of the real world (as above, not another world map). It will be vanilla, consisting of pure map - one file with resources another without. I'd like to do this little project but can't decide what to do it with. i've created maps before for previous civs, including some that went in expansions. but this will be my first civ5 map from scratch.

If you've got a request for a part of the world of interest -tell me why it's of interest and your vision for possible mod/scenario/etc. Also keen on addressing unique projections; not necessarily a N-S orientation only.

oh, and i do work for a living and have a family so it will take 2-3 weeks for me to find the time to do a good job; so patience is important also.

-peyoan

2. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

Would this precise area interest you? It could be used for a scenario with 10 civs: the Greek, Lydians, Hittites, Phoenicians, Egypt, Assyrians, Babylonians, Medes, Persians and Parthians.

Given that this area contains more land than a usual map, the size should probably be smaller than what you'd usually choose for that number of civs. So the map size should probably be somewhere between small and standard.

3. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

I like that region, but isn't there a civ5 map representing that already? although I believe it may be a DLC... i will have to check.

4. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

5. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

I will look into that this weekend MaxRiga; how many cities are you planning for on each landmass, or what size map?

6. malcolm01234

malcolm01234 Just A Grain Of Sand

I was going to make a scenario based on fallout 3's operation anchorage (if you know what that is...) and i was looking for an alaska map, could you make that?
    Also include a small part of Russia and Canada rather than cutting off at the borders as some state maps are...

7. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

you can create this as huge map because there will be a lot of unused space as ocean any way. I will take care of cities and resources my self ( I will adjust it for my scenario ). All I need is geographical landmass ( mountains, forests, rivers ).
    Thank you very much for your help!

8. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

I'm taking up MaxRiga's map this week. Due to the large landmass of russia; i'm using a slight projection that will "slim" the russian territory and then will cut off at crimea / mid-anatolia / nile for the eastern border of the map. The scandanavian countries will have a slight northern cut to allow for a northern sea passage from area such as Arkhangel'sk. Greenland may end up having a slight glacier tip to portray it's location accurately. I'll throw together a continental outline and post tomorrow before i continue with the inner details.

9. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

Hi, thank you
    crimea is strategically place. black sea navy should be able to reach Atlantic ocean somehow. at the same time we don't need africa at all. but it's ok if their will be some north africa land ( so to make your map more accurate ).

10. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

Here's an outline of the Eastern edge of map. As you can see, russia is thinned by using a curved projection at that eastern edge but still includes crimea. The nordic passage is artificially placed but necessary to connect arkhangel'sk.

I will try to do the western atlantic portion this afternoon and repost.
    Let me know if this is not meshing with your vision and what needs changing.
    -peyoan

Attached Files:

11. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

oops, the map cut off crimea, here's a better look. haha.

Attached Files:

12. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

hi
    thank you for your great work! the only thing I was asking is to make Russia’s landmass as far as Ural mountains so I can place more Russian towns. the further Russian city on this map will be Moscow :( Is it possible to extend Russian landmass father on east?

13. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

surely. what cities are you attempting to incorporate? it will be easier to judge the eastern border then. also; if i go more east, europe will become more... tiny. also with that in mind; how far west does the map need to go? for proportions the eastern seaboard would be included but do you need more of canada/hudson or gulf? remember, the wider the map goes geographically the smaller more tactical areas such as europe, eastern us become.

14. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

thx for your tips. Let's say - most eastern city can be Volgograd/Stalingrad and most western city can be Dallas

15. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

Ok MaxRiga, i've uploaded the new coastline outline imaging. let me know what you think.

i've kept the proportions equal for all landmasses / islands / etc. I moved the european landmass down one parallel so it is represented on the right side of map directly across from north america; other than that slight slide everything else is proportionate.

if you give me the ok, i'll start filling in the details. i leave greenway, svalbard, etc in for now for realism, but you can remove those after final version complete if you'd like of course.

-peyoan

Attached Files:

16. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

yeah, I love this map already. everything seems to be great! this is really good and impressive job ;)

17. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

Here some screen shots of near finished product.
    Just base map with features, but no goodies / cities / civs, etc.
    Once i figure out how to upload the civ5map file i will do so. (i may have to zip to upload?).

Attached Files:

18. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

wow, it looks great! I don't need civs and cities, I will place it my self. I will also place resources ( so to balance my scenarios ). All I need is this beautiful landmass after you done with it :)

19. peyoan

peyoan Chieftain

20. MaxRiga

MaxRiga Emperor

thx buddy! this is very beautiful map! gonna let you know when scenario is rdy !