[Map Script] "Snaky Pangaea"

taltho

The Essoteric Copious
Why I made this map..... is because I always wanted maps to generate like this since vanilla civ III, and I wanted it for a mod I'm working on.
It turnd out to be one of my favorite map styles to play. And certanly worth posting.

I have made this by tweeking the lakes folder in Publicmaps. (Sid Meier's Civilization 4/publicmaps/Lakes) Here is a better example of a snaky pangaea I finaly got it, through this weekend, I now have a 95% rate in the generation of these maps, they always creat a beautiful Pangaea. I'v loaded about 20 times per map to insure good maps Thy always turn out beautiful. These maps are 100% snaky Pangaea produceing and as far as I can tell error free.

The snaky pangaea type of terrain, it has the continent type land mass conected with one or more ismuth's of course, peninsula's wild winding seas and large lakes. You can, and have to build navy in two or more sea's/ lake's most of the time.

I need some help! You see I'm just a Drywall finisher/taper for 13 years now and I don't have time to learn programing, verry well anyway.
so I need to know how I can add a button you the player can use to choose your Pangaea, Ie large winding seas, lots of large lakes, lots of smaller lakes.
I could use some expmples of how I can achive this, please and thank you.:)

I'v included two map files Snaky_Pangaea and Pangaea_Grainy.
Obviously snaky means long winding seas that surround Ismiths and Peninsulas. The grainy one is a mix up of large lakes and small lakes. These maps bring the Art of War to a new level.

DOWNLOAD HERE!View attachment Pangaea snaky.zip

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG snaky pangaea.jpg

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

See Below for more screenshots.
Also See Below for hints and stratagy tips

LDiCesare "You can just rename the Lakes.py into Snaky.py and voila..."

Thanks for the tip. I'v solved that problem and made the file better. Thank You!

Would love to see some screenshots of how this turns out. I'm looking for a mapscript that will generate sworly land (continguous land of about 4x4 grains but mixed heavily with coast and some ocean) and 2-3 "continents" (primarily for the sake of bonus distribution rather than water separation). This might be it.

Padmewan said:
Would love to see some screenshots of how this turns out. I'm looking for a mapscript that will generate sworly land (continguous land of about 4x4 grains but mixed heavily with coast and some ocean) and 2-3 "continents" (primarily for the sake of bonus distribution rather than water separation). This might be it.

Ok here are your screen shots,(above) as you can see. duh, I tried the screen shots folder when I bought the game opening day, it did not work I couldn't do anything to make it work, I ended up forgeting it was there. I now have pach V.1.6, allot of things are better I'm sure you all know.

I'v palyed aroud some to form this terrain into continents, I haven't got anything that's stable yet. I will work on it some more cause I want to play on that map style also. Sounds fun.

Um, I'm not sure how to make it exact 4x4 plots, I'll poke around some I'd like to know how. I like snaky pangaea type of terrain, it has the continent type land mass conected with one or more ismuth of course, peninsula's wild winding seas and large lakes. You can, and have to build navy in two or more sea's/ lake's most of the time.

Kind of reminds me of Civ2's map generation.

Here is an example of what snaky pangaea dose.

These look like Italy! I'm posting these to better ilistrate what snaly pangaea dose.
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

I've been playing with this and somewhat merged it with the Moon mapscript so of course I don't know if the problem I'm having is related to either script or my own ineptness -- anyway, I'm finding that civs can start surrounded by hills; is this something you were getting as well?

Padmewan said:
I've been playing with this and somewhat merged it with the Moon mapscript so of course I don't know if the problem I'm having is related to either script or my own ineptness -- anyway, I'm finding that civs can start surrounded by hills; is this something you were getting as well?

I'v naver had this problem I"m not sure what caused it. From what I can tell the start plot cmd in the python file dose make a diferance of where and how the human, and the AI start out, and in what area typs they start on.
I started using diferant things merged together I had mixed results. Strange things happen.

I've been playing with this map script for a couple of games now and really like it a lot. Thanks for making it.

One thing I noticed is that the map seems empty of other civs. What I mean is that the opportunity for an early war seems to have disappeared. Maybe it is my settings but they're pretty standard.

To increase the probability of more early wars I've added more a couple more civs than what the default recommendation is for the map size.

EL_OSO said:
I've been playing with this map script for a couple of games now and really like it a lot. Thanks for making it.

One thing I noticed is that the map seems empty of other civs. What I mean is that the opportunity for an early war seems to have disappeared. Maybe it is my settings but they're pretty standard.

To increase the probability of more early wars I've added more a couple more civs than what the default recommendation is for the map size.

EL_OSO, I'm glad you like this map thank you!
If you look on my screen shots you'll see that I use all 17 civs, this is to have some early combat cus it's crouded. At least on smaller maps like standard this lessens with larger maps, so you should use more civs on larger map's. All the whay thru this map is like the mediterainian, witch is what I wanted. It's set up for anciant combat, just use more civs. This also makes the modern era more fun and diverse.

One more hint, it might be good to turn down your unit support cost's this way you can use more units and further enjoy the map.

I played a normal sized map with 25 civs (!) , testing the Warlord modification that allows 50 players.

Turns took a while.
The map felt much bigger.
Religions mixed a lot.
Circumnaviagting is an act of trieres, luck and right of passages.
Religions, map trade and Satelites reveal a rainbow of culture borders that hide a messy pangaea map below it.
I got a lucky start pos on a large penesula that was connected trough the south pole so I could build 5 cities, all other civs had 2, 3 or 4 cities (take that times 24 on a normal map to get the idea).

I really like the look of this map but is it compatible with Warlords 2.08? Also, does anyone know how to add the option of flat world (no wrap) to the map script? Doesn't make sense to me that the Lakes map is a flat map and this is derived from Lakes but has xy wrap.

Top Bottom