1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Size and Type Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Marshall Thomas, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

I have some questions about map sizes.

How much bigger is a huge map than a large map? For my last game, I played with 18 civs on a "large" Hemispheres (3 continents) map. Surprisingly, I didn't really find a large map to be too small for 18 civs. If I want to play on a "huge" map for my next game, how many more civs do I need to add to keep the same ratio of civs to land? I know it will have to be more than 18, so I'll need to try Lt. Bob's mod component. I also need enough room to allow for the creation of colonies; not being able to make colonies in my last game became quite a problem.

Also: For my upcoming game, I want to try a "Big and Small" map type. Does a huge "Big and Small" map type have the same amount of land as a huge "Hemispheres" map type? Thanks in advance

2. Horace

Horace Likes to ski

You should start a new game with the setting your thinking about and open up world builder. Will give you an idea what type of map those settings produce before you start your proper game

3. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

No, Big/Small maps have substantially more land than any other type. They're generally about 50/50 land/water, whereas most maps (on the same sea level) would only be about 30% land.

4. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

Hemisphere with massive continents 4-6 has a brilliant ration of land to water too

5. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

Is there any way to use a "big and small" map with 30% land and 70% water (instead of 50% land /50% water?) If I increase the sea level, how would this effect the ratio of land to water in a "big and small" map?

How do "big and small" maps differ from "hemispheres" maps? Which one to you prefer and why? Thanks in advance

6. Underdawg

Underdawg King

Huge maps have about 10,500 land tiles and large maps 6,500, I forget where I got this info from. I believe this is the average at default settings (medium sea level temperate continents type maps).

There are more land tiles I would think on Terra maps.

7. Thrasybulus

Thrasybulus Chieftain

When BtS first came out I used Big & Small maps a lot mainly because they were colony friendly. It seems that changing the sea level does not do anything on these maps however. There are far too many times when work boats can circumnavigate the world so I changed to Hemispheres which makes for a more balanced game, and makes Astronomy a more important tech. I play large maps with 2 Hemispheres and 12 civs, but I've yet to see a colony in these games.

8. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

I was going to try "big and small", but if galleys can get to every continent- then I won't try "big and small" just for this single reason.

I suppose I'll try "hemispheres" again.

9. ese-aSH

ese-aSH Prince

I sometimes play small maps with 18 civs :)
    And yet I can still get 2 or 3 cities of my own (gotta grab land very fast!)

10. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

How do snakey continents differ from normal? Are they smaller? Do you prefer them? thanks in advance

11. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

They're generally very narrow (only a single tile wide in many places, and rarely wider than 3 or 4), and wind round all over the place to get roughly comparable land mass. You generally have a colossal amount of coastline (which favours ome civs), and it's quite easy to block off sections from the AI, as the continent is almost entirely composed of bottlenecks.

12. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

In my first campaign, I used a large Hemispheres map (3 normal continents) with 18 civs. I was very pleased with the "number of civs to land ratio" and had a very enjoyable campaign, other than the fact that I learned late into the game that I couldn't make colonies. This totally destroyed my economy.

For my upcoming campaign, I want to try a huge map size instead of a large. I'd like to have the same "number of civs to land ratio" as I did in my last campaign. If 18 civs was what I had for a large map size, then how many civs should I use for a huge map in order to keep that same # of civs to land ratio? I'll of course be using an 18+ civilizations mod.

Also: this time I'm going to use "hemispheres" again, but with two continents instead of three. Could anyone make a suggestion on whether I should choose "islands" or "tiny islands"? Which is more Earth-like? Thanks in advance

13. viktorn

viktorn Chieftain

I think that "Big and Small" map is exactly the type of a map I missed in CivIV. It really motivates me to build a navy in order to explore the world and later protect my colonies.

I have played this map three times and it has never been possile to circumnavigate the globe with a galley. There has always been a stretch of ocean I needed to cross with Astronomy. However, all islands _were_ theoretically reachable with a galley. But it is not as easy as it seems. My starting position has always been on a side of the main continent where there were no islands nearby and reaching the archipelago was quite difficult.

I play a normal size map with 12 civilizations. I found this game very enjoyable. Not too long, but it is very challenging because of bigger number of civilizations. I wish I had more time to play some of the epic scenarios you mention here. :)

14. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

Man, you never played a map without water! That is insane if you got the time and patience!

Hell, if you put a map without water(possible through scripts in customize section of the forum), and put the standard number of CIVs for the map size = raging barbarians...Heh, nightmare!! Beside the fact that half of the civs die or can't grow(more specifically, can't even build improvements!), the map to be explored is HUGE with units of 1-2 moviment and all hills and forests and barbarians! Takes 1/3 or more of the game to meet all civilizations, and the map isn't complete until late game! Now, can you imagine the space to grow for the civs not owned by the barbarians(which by the way will have relatively advanced cities during the whole game!)??? Now imagine late wars! The number of units is insane! :crazyeye:

Fun though, at least until I had to wait 2 minuted for a turn :(

15. Thrasybulus

Thrasybulus Chieftain

Let's see, a large map is 104x64 and a huge map is 128x80 so a huge map is about 54% bigger. That would mean you should have 27 or 28 civs!

This is too crowded for my taste; I think that would allow about 7 or 8 cities per civ and since on large you need 7 cities to build wall st / oxford / etc I think its unfair unless the AI does some calculation and realizes it must expand via warfare. I doubt this is the case. I used to play 12 civs on large hemispheres with low sea level, but sometimes one AI (or myself) gets a lot of room to expand and ends up with 20+ cities without going to war. Currently I'm trying out 14 civs and it seems like a good balance.

I've never tried tiny islands - the thought of lots of 1x1 islands. :cry: