Map size / number of civilizations / number of cities per civilization

tebriz

Warlord
I would like to start a new game on a huge Pangaea map, but I am not sure about how many AI civilizations to have in my game. My priority is to have as much AI civilizations as possible, but in the same time not to damage game balance.
I prefer to have more AIs with less cities, than less AIs with more cities. But in the same time it is clear that number of cities per civilization can not be ridiculously low. So, I wonder what is minimum number of cities per civilization that would result in a balanced game? Would 5 cities per civilization be OK?
I have calculated that huge Pangaea map on low sea level can suit around 140 cities. So, right now I am thinking to start a game with 27 players, giving each civilization a room for 5 cities.

I would like to start a new game on a huge Pangaea map, but I am not sure about how many AI civilizations to have in my game. My priority is to have as much AI civilizations as possible, but in the same time not to damage game balance.
I prefer to have more AIs with less cities, than less AIs with more cities. But in the same time it is clear that number of cities per civilization can not be ridiculously low. So, I wonder what is minimum number of cities per civilization that would result in a balanced game? Would 5 cities per civilization be OK?
I have calculated that huge Pangaea map on low sea level can suit around 140 cities. So, right now I am thinking to start a game with 27 players, giving each civilization a room for 5 cities.

I usually always start a testgame with the defaultnumber and after 1 full turn I turn on the editor to locate everyone and decides from that what would be appropriate.

I usually always start a testgame with the defaultnumber and after 1 full turn I turn on the editor to locate everyone and decides from that what would be appropriate.

I have already done a test game - and 5 cities per civilization seems perfect for me. Some may find this too low, but as I said I would like to have more civilizations with fewer cities, than fewer civilizations with more cities. I would also recommend to play this game with NoBarbCiv options (because number of civs is already high and new civilizations don't get enough space to play significant role in game anyway).
Another thing I like is to play with NoVassalStates option. With vassal states disabled it is not so easy to dominate your neighbors and eventually the world, neither for me, nor other AI players.

Top Bottom