[Map] TWC_Earth_256_x_128

Flash1

Prince
Hello All.

Unfortunately, the 200x100 map has been put on the back burner. The team has gone on Sabbatical and I have to wait for the missing pieces.

So I have started a new project. So far I can load it in worldbuilder, but I do not know at this time how much I can do in it. So I am using the Civ4Editor program. I hope to finish this map in the next few weeks.

I hope to add 18 civs. The map has plenty room. I would like to create a senario for the map. If the map works as planned, I hope to make a 364 x 182 map.

the first preview.

huge map and good luck...
and you are thinking of a 364 x 182 map...thats insane;) after moving one turn my poor computer will have heart attack:( :eek:

Spartan117,
This map plots out at 32,768 squares.

i could play the smaller huge one for a while but the 300somethin by 100 something is just humongus:lol:

when it reaches the extra size more units must be built and generally managment is gonna be more diificult..i would like the biggest size map if possible but my computer cant handle it...although i wonder how many computers could actually handle 300 something by 100 something tile...this would be more realistic because there will be so many citiees like in reality and not just cites that are suppose to represent entire region

the bigger the map is, the more descriptive it is of earth...

Spartan,

That is why I prefer large maps.
1. It is more "realistic."
2. Maybe the civs will last a little longer.

One problem I will run into is scaling movement.

I finally have the map outlined.

The fun of detailing terrain is next.

Here is preview B:

I love the idea of a 256x128 world map. TOTALLY EPIC! But what projection are you using? If it's Mercator, it's crap. Also, there's no way to cross the Bosphorus Strait that connects the Black Sea to the Mediterranean... you might want to fix that.

G-Max,

I'm using my old "standard". It is a partially cropped map that I scanned from a two-part atlas. It was the only one I found that had terrain features and rivers. I really wanted to use NASA's Blue Marble Map, but it did not have river placement.

I changed the map by adding Firaxis' Africa and S. America maps. It saves some time.

There is a passage into the Black Sea. Turkey and Constantanoble aren't connected.

The only real issue for me is where to crop the Northern Hemisphere. I think everyone will enjoy the final product. Filling in terrain on this map is tedious.

Update,

I've been trying to figure out the best way to copy the terrain from the Africa and s. America maps. I'm going to try to attempt to open to worldbuilders. I bought a eGeforce 6500 256 MB vid card and 512 MB RAM. I had 1 GB RAM but it shared 128 MB with the old vid card. I hope this works.

On another front. I have been experimenting with Sid Meier's Colonizations. I have been looking to the N. America map portion as a guide to filling in some types of terrain. i.e. Tundra line, plains, grassland, desert.

Update,

Okay I have South America abd Africa plotted. I do not have the resources plotted yet.

Here is the third preview. Tell me what you think.

I am looking forward to play on this map sometime! I adore it already before being ready :)

TheWusel,
Thank you very much. I hope to have it ready by the end of the coming week.

I'll try to have North America done sometime tommorrow night. I'll try to have some better screenshots then.

This is going to be good. Look at all those Pacific islands to colonise! Ooooo

Update,

I did not get to work on my map much last night because the wife found some chores for me to do. But I do have some in worldbuilder pics.

Tristan da Cunha and St. Helena. We can now send Napolean into exile. :)

Edited quotation from Star Wars Episode I:
"
Have you ever encountered a 256x128 map before?
- Eh.. no.. *shuting to the henchmen* Buy some 512MB RAM!
But sire, it will not be enough!
- *shuting again* Buy a Geforce 6500 256MB!!!
We will not survive this..."
To run this map at later game with high level terrian and 1024x768 resolution you will need Geforce 7600GT at least.

ChrisRossi:
Thank you. I was not thinking of that, but if someone made a scenario called capture Napoleon and transport him to excile, I can see that.

SpriteSODA:
Funny. Anyway. So far I do not have any trouble using the map in worldbuilder. You are lucky I have not made the 300 x 150 or 360 x 180 maps yet.

The Wusel:
Thank you. I hope you will like it when it is done.

Update:
I have the rivers plotted from N. America to the Urals. I haven't decided yet or not. When this monster gets done, I might replace S. America and Africa from Firaxis maps to the ones that match the original map.

Here is a preview of the river plots.

Here is the second part of the river placement.

Top Bottom