1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mapping Civilization VI (Base Game up to the Nubia DLC)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Art Grin

Art Grin Chieftain

I could see some reasons for Munich being absent.
    First is of course an oversight by Firaxis and they just forgot to add it. Which is unlikely though since Munich is probably Germany's second most well known city after Berlin.
    Second would be historical reasons. The city was founded during the reign of Barbarossa so it was very minor and small at the time of his death thus not making much sense on his city list.
    Third reason is that they plan to use Munich as the capital for a future leader for Germany of Bavarian origin. Which isn't too unlikely seeing how the region was always a major player in German politics and offers some interesting leader options.
    • Emperor Louis IV: Seems to have been quite an active ruler with involvement in Germany, Italy, the Baltic, Papal Affairs and city development. Not sure if he's different enough from Frederick though to warrant a spot.
    • King Maximilian Emanuel: Famous for his participation in the Ottoman Wars and War of Spanish Succession. But he's from the 18th century and if Firaxis wanted a military man from that period they'd certainly go for Frederick II of Prussia instead.
    • King Ludwig II: Probably the most famous Bavarian ruler thanks to his building projects like Neuschwanstein, his personality, patronage of Wagner and his mysterious death. He'd be the perfect candidate for a culture and wonder focused German leader. So probably the likeliest of all candidates for Munich.

luigilime and bite like this.
  2. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

It wouldn't be my first pick, but that could be an interesting choice

3. BenZL43

BenZL43 coassistentschap

Most likely it's done so to avoid unnecessary conflicts. Y'all probably heard of Malaysia and Indonesia, despite rooted in similar culture, often debated whether a dance, a song, (or as of recently, a celebrity) is Indonesian/Malaysian.

TL;DR Malaysian civ player won't be too pleased to see Kuala Lumpur or Johor under Indonesia civilization, I think.

Guandao likes this.
  4. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

I absolutely love these maps. Not to be too greedy, but if possible, could I get a map of Natural Wonders and City States, perhaps with starting positions for Civs? I'm just curious what that would look like.

5. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Yes, I'm familiar with Malaysia and Indonesia's....rivalry. Especially since both of my parents were born in Malaysia. :D

6. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Well if you go the first one, you can see a map with Wonders and City States

7. BenZL43

BenZL43 coassistentschap

Ah that explains your title. How would you feel then if Firaxis put Malaysian city name under Indonesia civilization?

8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I actually wouldn't mind them doing that. I can't see Firaxis adding Malaysia as a Civilization. I don't think they were/ or are important enough. It's better off represented by City-States or as part of Indonesian City-list. :D

9. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

It would be a bit odd, like Auckland being in the Australia city list, even though NZ was technically run from Australia for a bit

10. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Chieftain

My hopes for a Philippine civ is gone after Indonesia was launched. Cannot imagine having another archipelago in SEA compete with the powerhouse abilities of Indonesia. Plus TSL would be too crowded. Malaysia still has a chance, but I guess Siam and Vietnam will have more chance of showing up due to popularity.

bite likes this.
  11. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Gotta love that Mongol-shaped hole in Asia...

nzcamel, Eagle Pursuit and bite like this.
  12. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Chieftain Supporter

This is extremely cool. Nice work Bite!

bite likes this.
  13. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Chieftain

@bite Is Iceland and some parts of Nova Scotia not part of Norway during Harald's time?

Edit: found the answer.

In 1262–1264 Iceland came under the control of the King of Norway, who said Icelanders should provide his tax. Terms were set out in an agreement in 1262, which the Icelanders called Gissur conciliation, after the Earl Gissur Þorvaldsson. Here it says that the King will leave the peace and Icelandic laws, and basically it was so.

Harald's reign was from 1046 to 1066.
    Kingdom of Norway, though was from 872 to 1397

14. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Iceland was settled by Norwegians in the 800s though. So you could say it was Norwegian territory, although not yet controlled by the kingdom of Norway.

sonicmyst likes this.
  15. Gabriel Sergio

Gabriel Sergio Chieftain

True, like in Southeast asian sports games past months ago, we get totally pissed when our country flag is reverted. Our flag is a sacred and very respected plus they're Malaysia

16. Inlex

Inlex Chieftain

What about that almost everything shaped hole in Africa...I'd call it a black hole, since it is so vast and apparently all consuming, but I would be called a racist. That's very much not what I'm trying to convey. But I feel that there is a very obvious gap in the number of civlizations in Africa and South-America. Will we be getting a colonization-themed expansion? (Better yet: Expansion that mimics Sid Meyer's Colonization... I would pay a lot for that)

Isn't that just the Polish flag? :lol:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  17. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Yes Norway was a difficult one because it had just divided from Denmark and it is not clear at that time who got what territories, I go into more detail in the Cities Map

sonicmyst likes this.
  18. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Yes there will be a Rise and Fall update once we know all the Civs/Leaders/Wonders/City States

19. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Well on a good note, that got filled today

The big map is getting quite full (will have a separate one with just Rise and Fall Civs)

nzcamel and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  20. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Sorry for the late reply. I meant without World Wonders and only including Natural Wonders and City States. I'm curious about how it'll appear on a TSL map.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017