1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mapping Civilization VI (Base Game up to the Nubia DLC)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

At the moment, the plan is for there to be a Rise and Fall civ map, every civ map & wonder map. I'm not sure if l'll have time for another we'll see

2. MAHRana

MAHRana Chieftain

Nice job, love maps like this!

I’m a bit surprised Lahore, Peshawar, Multan aren’t included for any civ, correct me if they are?

3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

The Americas and Africa stand out on the map as the largest areas with the fewest civ representatives. Hopefully each of them gets at least one representative in Rise and Fall.

4. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

We have five civs left unannounced: I hope there’s at least 1 South American (Inca!), 1 (native) North American, and 1 African. Then it’s quite likely we’ll get another European Civ and one from the Middle East (hopefully Ottomans). East Asia has had a pretty good run with Korea and Mongolia following Khmer and Indonesia.

Guandao, DWilson, evanaurora and 3 others like this.
  5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

That‘s exactly what I‘m hoping for as well - and it would make sense to do it that way as well.

Well almost what I‘m hoping for - I‘d prefer the Assyrians to the Ottomans. And considering maps, the two both don't fill big holes.

bite likes this.
  6. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

You're right, but the Ottomans are, like the other civs announced so far, series staples and empires that were too big to ignore.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Furthermore, the Byzantines are a series regular as well. And since the Ottomans and Byzantines are unlikely to appear in the same expansion, we will almost certainly be getting one of them. At the moment the Ottomans look like the more likely.

8. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

That's a totally reasonable response. Do you happen to have a copy of the blank map you used? I can play around with it. No need to trouble yourself.

9. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Indeed there are two big holes in the Rome Map, one area around the Byzantium/Ottoman Empire, and the other around Carthage, and I'm confident that we will get at least one of them this time around

BenZL43, Guandao and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  10. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Chieftain

There were also holes in Scotland, Ireland and Wales in the England Map, we have a good chance of seeing some Celtic nation return.

Guandao and bite like this.
  11. Gabhar

Gabhar Chieftain

As likely as a Celtic civ is, I don't think England's city list has anything to do with that. IIRC England has always largely stuck to English cities even if it's conflated with the GB/UK to some degree. Civ III and IV's Celtic city list was largely Gaulish with some insular areas, so the exclusion of Edinburgh or Cardiff from the English map probably has more to do with these not being in England than any planned Celtic civ.

Vahnstad likes this.
  12. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

The Celt list is the one civ which the full city list will likely be really dependent on who they pick for leader and what direction they take the civ

13. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Chieftain

For the Cree map it will largely depend on how the Cree are represented as they are split into several groups. The Iron Confederacy seems to be the most likely to be represented so I would wait until the full City-List comes out before any work is done on the map.
    Spoiler Cree Map :

bite likes this.
  14. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

All maps are based on the leader, so once I know who that is I have a good basis to build the map on ... most of the time

15. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

I broke some of the rules I established, but I have gone with a general outline of the Plains Cree for the map

Spoiler :

Guandao likes this.
  16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Is that the extent of Cree land during Poundmaker's time? It seems like the civ UA refers to the more easterly Woodland Cree.

Guandao and bite like this.
  17. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

No from what I can see formally the Cree didn't have any major territory at the end of Poundmaker's time, so that is one of the rules I broke, from what I have read (and feel free to corect me if this is wrong) is that he came from the Plains Cree nations, so I used that as my barometer

18. ONDOLINDE

ONDOLINDE Chieftain

@bite, just wondering why the title of the thread reads Base Game up to the Nubia DLC only?

19. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Because that is the latest version of the map, the Rise and Fall update is still a work in progress

ONDOLINDE likes this.
  20. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

I think technically we could examine treaties between the British/Canadians and the Iron Confederacy. While we can question the legitimacy of some treaties or wonder if legal and effective control are different, it's at least a starting point. Here is the Treaty 6 that Poundmaker helped negotiate:

It's certainly possible I'm misreading the map, but I think this is what it conveys. The territory being negotiated by the First Nations' Federation is marked Treaty 6. In exchange for schools and medicine, the Federation would cede sovereignty to the Queen. The Canadian government would reserve land, that is unfortunately not marked. The "Medicine Chest" clause is a big deal because it was interpreted differently by both sides. The First Nations believed it meant the Canadian government would provide healthcare in perpetuity because the introduction of Small Pox to the area was a major reason they signed the treaty.

I would mark the Iron Confederacy territory as all of Treaty 6, though it's up for interpretation. One could limit the Cree to just the reservations (which I frustratingly can't find) or argue that losing sovereignty in the treaty means they cease to exist as holding territory. I personally chose to mark it as the Treaty 6 boundaries. This also seems to fit where the theater of operations was during the North-West Rebellion (which seems to have a problematic name, but whatever).

Here is another map of the Cree for that time period that places them a bit farther south during the North-West Rebellion. There are no borders in this one, unfortunately. At first I thought the rivers were borders, but that was just wishful thinking on my part.

bite likes this.