Maps, Maps and Moar Maps.

Broken_Erika

Play with me.
We need a database of all the civ2 maps we can find.
Just post any maps you have here.
To start, here is a collection of my custom maps that i am posting here because my hard drive is making occasional funny noises....
Maps range from 70x140 to 127x230
If you can't open my map file, then you need 7zip, just google it, it's free.

Attachments

• BrokenMapChaosCollectAlpa.7z
    211.8 KB · Views: 217
This is awesome, Erika! I think I have a few maps from old sites for Civ2 that are no longer active (such as, for one, the base maps I used to build my Korea and EotRS scenarios on). I'll try to put something together.

It's like 1/10th my collection, remaining 9/10ths are unfinished for on reason or another...something to do with my short attention span..:mischief:

Here is my entire map collection. Many will seem like duplicates, especially with the file names, but each map has at least one difference, no matter how big or small. Some of these were designed with interstellar or intergalactic space in mind, so a flat map with all plains and sporadic clusters of other terrains, those are space maps, inspired by the Master of Orion scenarios. :)

A lot of the other maps may be familiar, as some of them were definitely downloaded from online. And yes, I have a few planets named after myself. Don't judge. :p :lol:

Attachments

• map_collections.7z
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
We need to create a map repository since apolyton no longer has a download section and CFC doesn't have the selection they had...
Anyone know of anywhere else to find some maps?

I think you can still go into scenarios, save a game, open the file in the map editor and get them that way...

It's one heck of a project but a pretty good idea.

I still have an Africa map as well as the Korea and Pacific Rim maps that I built the basis of my Korean and EotRS scenarios from originally. They MIGHT have been from Mercator's site.

Perhaps you are interested in the super-giant map of Europe, edited by me.

This mapis the author's processing of the map, which I took on this site (from the scripts "Classical Antiquity", "Dictator 1936" and others). However, this original map is completely redesigned by me. Externally (at a very small scale), it resembles the original. But every square is changed in it. This map was created by me on the basis of MGE. Therefore, all the changes that I made take into account the features of this version of the game. I'm not familiar with TOT features. The main changes are as follows:

1. The map is adapted ONLY under one resource allocation algorithm (# 29). This is done by me with a view to avoid hiding the resources under the grassland. All available resources are visible on it at once, by default.

2. I purposefully removed all the "marine resources" from the map. This is done so that you can always put a military land unit on the resource, and thus deprive the "blocked" city of the opportunity to use it. Marine units can not "block" the sea resources for the city. So I decided to eliminate them altogether.

3. The map has a single pre-planned algorithm for the possible location of cities in the most rational way. Possible way of using. Let's say you have a goal to cover ALL available land map with cities. In addition, each city should have a minimum of intersections with its area with neighboring cities. Total - we get the equation - the minimum possible number of cities on the whole land with its maximum coverage by cities. This mathematical problem is solved with the help of this algorithm. I even have a variant of this map with exact markings. It turns out that there are about 1050 cities, I do not remember exactly now. Of course, here it will be of little interest to anyone, since everyone here prefers to place cities randomly. I made this algorithm only for my personal preferences. If you do not need it, you can perfectly place cities in any convenient way.

4. There are a lot of rivers on the map created from the "sea". This is done with the following objectives:

a). Reduce the total amount of sushi on the map. Because, in my opinion, the map is so huge.
b). These "rivers" (and also available in excess "lakes" from one cell) - conceal an alternative (of two possible) algorithm for the rational allocation of cities (see point number 3). With the help of the excess of these rivers, I achieved absolute uniformity for this algorithm. When testing this card in the "ant farm" mode, I was convinced that even a stupid AI is subject to my algorithm in 60-70% of cases when placing its cities. The human player will be more intuitively aware of it.
c). These "rivers" are a natural obstacle in the settlement of civilizations, and in hostilities. At key points, of course, there are "passes".
(d). The mouths of all rivers are closed for sailing in 2 cages. This is done to reduce the absurd situation when ocean ships can enter the "river". Of course, this does not remove the problem that the "battleship" can be built in the city of the internal river system. How to completely solve this problem, I did not come up with. So I solved it partially - closing the mouth of the rivers. If you want, you can edit it - removing these "stubs".

5. Some regions have distortions from their actual geographical outlines. This is done by me consciously and purposefully. The aim - to emphasize the importance of some regions in the historical process, and reduce the area of peripheral and "unused" areas. This is best illustrated by the example of the islands of Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica. The first island was enlarged by me as if "under a magnifying glass". Since this island was at the center of the history of the Mediterranean from the Stone Age to the Second World War inclusive. The other two were reduced, since their role was of little significance. For example, the regions of Egypt and Mesopotamia are greatly enlarged under the magnifying glass.

6. The same map has a number of other, less significant features.
I have not yet completed the final editing of this map. Since at the moment it is created for the original design and balance of MGE. I plan to do some "castling" of the terrain with MapEdit. (For example, replace the "desert" - "ice" and "plain." - "tundra" as well as possible to replace the "forest" in the "jungle"). This is necessary to free these types of terrain for manipulation in the modified game mode.

Attachments

• test2.rar
    14.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
There is a tool called CivCity (& now an updated one that works with 64bit machines & ToTPP called Civitas) that allows you to set which cities are set as coastal. This way you can prevent certain cities from being able to produce ships.

I just uploaded a map of Italy made by Harlan Thompson for me (for Boot II - a scenario I never made :( ). Perhaps someone can bring it to life. I believe the jungle(?) (whatever terrain seems out of place - I don't have it open in front of me) was meant by him to be "wooded hills." The glacier is for city placement.

Edit - are we content to have maps only on civfanatics or do we want a section for them on the scenario league wiki?

Attachments

• BOOT2.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 176
I have these maps. Feel free to put them on the Wiki (which I've often wrestled with to upload things, usually futilely, for some reason). I can't quite remember where most of them are from, but I believe they're from old archives like Mercator's site, CoC, Apolyton, and others that don't seem to be up anymore. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my original, unaltered, base Korea map I had when I first started the scenario years ago.

Attachments

• MapUploads.7z
    55.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Why not make a Google Drive with access by Scenario League members? That holds 15 gigs. That is plenty large and can be seperated by categories so maps and unit graphics are not lost. That makes me nauseous to imagine art being lost after so much hard work because I can't make it and think they are gorgeous. Just looking at them makes me eight years old again and playing with toy soldiers.

You wouldn't want just anyone to be able to write to it but read from it should be available.

Alreadythe first links work, but the subsequent links on the archived section do NOT. They are lost forever...apparently.

I think Mercator has a giant map collection still.

Here are 30.

http://civ2.mercator.fastmail.fm/maps/index.html
There are lots of maps but small ones so they won't work as most people want huge maps so 254 cities and then lots of time configuring the units to fit the movement rates so they make sense...meaning seasons are likely.

http://civ2.mercator.fastmail.fm/maps/legacy/index.html
Mercator's Map Database of all he knew of.

I have quite a few maps and I can zip that and post it here, however would it not be a good idea as many Civ 2 sites are dying out to have these files on a robust platform of some size because otherwise in a year, the same issue will occur?

A well scaled map can have things like river passages and canals and the historical movement rates work so realistic combat can happen. Those are pure GOLD. I myself badly need an accurate Asia map.

Attachments

• map_collections.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 197
Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom