Maps without commerce resources or rivers

StuntedAzrael

Warlord
I rolled a fractal map once (no screenshot, unfortunately) with Shaka. One lake tile, 2 irrigated corns and a few hills. Upon exploring, the same pattern continued, grasslands and occasional pig or corn. No happiness resources, no sea resources.

Economy wise, how should one play this map early/mid game? How to pay maintenance bills?

Just because you dont have rivers doesnt mean you cant put down cottages, rivers just make them better that is all..

You say there wasnt sea resources, but I assume there was ocean/sea if so, then just put mostly coastal cities and aim to get the GLH and collusus,try to get harbors fast to increase your trade routes, since shaka can build them faster.

Work the traderoutes, get GLH get Currency get most things that give you more routes and increase route income.

Edit: oh yeah, earlish monarcy would also probably be wise to increase yoru city sizes

I have had awesome commerce cities on 100% flat grassland tiles that you spam up with cottages and keep happy with warriors. Usually happen when you chop down a huge jungle. Only difficulty is to get markets / banks / grocer on those to increase the money output.

You also seem to have loads of corn / big ... Trade them :)

Getting trade routes with the AIs early helps in getting things like extra fur or gold off them. You have to get them before another AI does. I've seen forum games where one guy gets the fur and another doesn't notice the trade and that 1 extra happy makes a huge difference.

Take a look at my game in the current Monte immortal cookbook... I'm trying to Rex like crazy with no happy and lots of jungle. I think we have rivers in that game, but still every city is stuck at size 4 until we research something that gives happiness. It makes the game more difficult as you really have to limit your expansion, no getting around it. In that game I think its better to go attack someone than try to support a REX.

Getting trade routes with the AIs early helps in getting things like extra fur or gold off them. You have to get them before another AI does. I've seen forum games where one guy gets the fur and another doesn't notice the trade and that 1 extra happy makes a huge difference.

Take a look at my game in the current Monte immortal cookbook... I'm trying to Rex like crazy with no happy and lots of jungle. I think we have rivers in that game, but still every city is stuck at size 4 until we research something that gives happiness. It makes the game more difficult as you really have to limit your expansion, no getting around it. In that game I think its better to go attack someone than try to support a REX.

I looked at your game. REX is a good decision on your part since you have a lot of rivers which boosts your expansion. I have thought about my question so far and I think that REX is not a viable approach early at all.

I think that my best bet in this case would be a bit of wonder spamming first. Great lighthouse, oracle or pyramids springs to mind. I really dislike cottages in pure grassland very early. Besides, your first three cities usually work resources not having enough happiness for cottages.

I concur, when commerce is very scarce wonders can often be the best way to go. It's not always a reliable strategy, of course. The other alternative is war. Commerce poor land is often hammer rich land, so your only viable strategy on some maps is just to go all-out attack, even if you can't necessarily get off a convincing early rush. If your land is really poor the chances are your neighbours have something better, and there's always the pillage cash.

Of course, if you are really struggling to pay the bills, then financing an army can be a problem. Much as I hate non-riverside cottages, sometimes there is nothing for it but to knock out a few so your units don't strike.

Non-riverside cottages are ok when you're growing to your happy cap (without hereditary rule).

Early on, when you don't have time to wait for non-riverside cottages to mature, coastal tiles and to a lesser extent trade routes become important.

I have had awesome commerce cities on 100% flat grassland tiles that you spam up with cottages and keep happy with warriors. Usually happen when you chop down a huge jungle. Only difficulty is to get markets / banks / grocer on those to increase the money output.

You also seem to have loads of corn / big ... Trade them :)

Just to correct here.
Markets increase happiness, when, certain resourses are avaiable.
Banks only increase Gold income, not happiness.
Grocers increase Health, not happiness, when, certain resourses are available.

as mentioned above, research HR as soon as possible to increase happiness from units.
Also, if you have stone nearby, and build the Pyramids, you can switch civics to increase happiness by +3, in 5 of your cities.

Just to correct here.
Markets increase happiness, when, certain resourses are avaiable.
Banks only increase Gold income, not happiness.
Grocers increase Health, not happiness, when, certain resourses are available.

as mentioned above, research HR as soon as possible to increase happiness from units.
Also, if you have stone nearby, and build the Pyramids, you can switch civics to increase happiness by +3, in 5 of your cities.

I wasn't speaking of bank, grocer and market to help increase the :) but to help turn a non-riverside greenland into an economic powerhouse since grocer = +25% gold, market too and bank +50%.

My personal problem is really production at this stage but I should probably build more workshop that I usually ignore.

Hi i have the same problem i never know really what to do. Probably the game i post here is an example of a low commerce start. (though the map doesnt seem really difficult)

i think you need the Better BUG AI to play this game though

surry immortal normal fractual no huts no events

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    34.2 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom