Maps?

Teelman

Warlord
I have yet to find an option to trade maps. Was that option removed from civ 5 and if so is there any other option from scouting someone else's land besides getting them to agree to a open border and doing it yourself?

You could tech up to Satellites, which now reveals the map.

Otherwise, no. Allying city states will reveal what they can see. For anything else, if you want to see it you have to explore it. Caravels are the single most effective exploration unit (excepting Destroyers, which arrive too late).

Ide rather see something more organic and realistic. Think about history, geographic maps have never been a point of secrecy, they have always been traded like a commodity by everyday folk.

Make it so civs who have made contact with each other, and are not at war, slowly 'bleed' their maps to each other and standard human interaction takes place. 5 Revealed tiles per turn or something even a bit slower.

Make it so civs who have made contact with each other, and are not at war, slowly 'bleed' their maps to each other and standard human interaction takes place. 5 Revealed tiles per turn or something even a bit slower.

Kinda like exploring with open borders? :p

Kinda like exploring with open borders? :p

No, I'm not talking about just their territory, I'm talking about all tiles they have/had sight on. It would simulate the natural development of cartography just like history, no country actively sought to explore the world with the goal to horde away the information, maps have always been freely traded and i think the game should reflect that. As the world becomes 'known' that knowledge should naturally flow into all nations that are not actively at war with each other.

Geographic maps have always been a very open commodity that evolved with little to no direct influence from sovereign nations.

No, I'm not talking about just their territory, I'm talking about all tiles they have/had sight on. It would simulate the natural development of cartography just like history, no country actively sought to explore the world with the goal to horde away the information, maps have always been freely traded and i think the game should reflect that. As the world becomes 'known' that knowledge should naturally flow into all nations that are not actively at war with each other.

Geographic maps have always been a very open commodity that evolved with little to no direct influence from sovereign nations.

Not so. For many explorations into unknown territory governments have become directly and actively involved in exploration. Money and logistics are invested.

Spice Routes,
Western United States
New Routes to India
circumnavigation
Polar exploration
This list could go on for a long long time

Not so. For many explorations into unknown territory governments have become directly and actively involved in exploration. Money and logistics are invested.

Spice Routes,
Western United States
New Routes to India
circumnavigation
Polar exploration
This list could go on for a long long time

Reread the caveat on my statement please, no sovereign nation has directly tried to explorer the unknown, geographically, with the purpose or intention of not sharing those maps with others. Yes, they generally sold them, but the main goals of those expeditions were not geographic knowledge, but other types of knowledge. The geographic mapping that took place, was a by product, and was treated as such.

Reread the caveat on my statement please, no sovereign nation has directly tried to explorer the unknown, geographically, with the purpose or intention of not sharing those maps with others. Yes, they generally sold them, but the main goals of those expeditions were not geographic knowledge, but other types of knowledge. The geographic mapping that took place, was a by product, and was treated as such.

edit- not worth my time.

Lewis and Clark- Directly funded from the President of the United States for exploration. Im not going to argue the many points. but there are about 10 proven examples anyone who took world history/u.s. history should be able to name.

You're missing the point.

I'm not saying governments never funded / hired / contracted explorers.

I'm saying when they did, they didn't treat the resulting maps as military secrets. Geographic knowledge was always traded 'freely' from a governments standpoint, sure some guilds-man who hand drew the map got paid for his days labour, but the knowledge itself was always free.

You are wrong, New accurate maps or maps with better routes or roads or troop positions and fortifications were many times held in a confidence- and still are. Updated terrain and military maps are still restricted to this Day. There is a reason there are rules for google earth and U.S military bases.

Wow- your quick, you got my post as I was re-editing it- before I had to go take a smoke break- and then decided this argument is a waste.

You are wrong, New accurate maps or maps with better routes or roads or troop positions and fortifications were many times held in a confidence- and still are. Updated terrain and military maps are still restricted to this Day. There is a reason there are rules for google earth and U.S military bases.

Wow- your quick, you got my post as I was re-editing it- before I had to go take a smoke break- and then decided this argument is a waste.

I'm not talking about a deployment map.. You really think any nation protected the fact that a mountain named X was 3 miles from the town named Y? Im not talking about shared vision.

Think about it historically. C. Columbus returned from the new world with maps. Do you really think that within 50 years, those maps weren't common knowledge all the way from England to Russia?

that is the effect that I would prefer to see instead of nations acting like a cartography guild, like they did in civ 4.

And yes, you're quick to respond when you're bored at work waiting for an image to finish :(

From a realism standpoint it doesn't make sense that maps aren't an asset that can be traded (past a certain tech level).

I don't know if it's good or bad for gameplay. Personally I'd like map trading back.

Top Bottom