1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Mapuche First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

And even if it's not awesome (for reasons people have fairly brought up here) it's an awesome failed experiment!

2. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

How loyalty works, for reference.

Tchuli, Bosque, sonicmyst and 5 others like this.
  3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

You clearly have a very different definition of guaranteed to me! I would regard this guarantee as sound as the fact they were a lock for the expansion ......

Ondolindë, Inawordyes and Siptah like this.
  4. Magil

Magil Monarch

Interestingly it seems like he's more likely to like you if you're in a Golden Age (more loyalty) and dislike you if you're in a Dark Age (less loyalty).

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Can you tell us more about the Chemamull? Like, what tech unlocks it and any placement restrictions?

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I'm really looking forward to trying them out, but they won't be my first R&F civ - I want to get a feel for how loyalty works without modifications first.

7. ltccone

ltccone Prince

Seriously? Then make sure every civ you play collapses at their appropriate time.

8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Their spearman graphics are new, right? Or did the Aztec use these before? I don't remember building Aztec spearmen...

9. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Great posts Olleus and Magil.

Their Chemamull could be either super strong or even super weak depending upon how early it comes.

Swift Hawk appears to be very weak. New cities start at 100 loyalty. Unless you are fighting Shaka and he sends an Impi Carpet of Doom, you will not be flipping anything with -5 per kill. Even Scythia horse rushes are not that large in number, AI wise on Deity. Likely this would be powerful in multiplayer because games vs humans, are wars of attrition. No one keeps units long with promotions because kills happen much more frequently than with AI. Humans also like building siege cities and forward settle cities against yours so that they can heal faster and promote units. That would kinda be a mistake against the Mapuche apparently. If they have Defender of the Faith, forget about it.

They are definitely a Turtling Civ, with a strong culture UI (possibly). That much is certain. They kind of remind me of Ethiopia in Civ 5.

Perhaps their traits are a counter to the Zulu?

humble serf likes this.
  10. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I believe Brazil used the jaguar head spearmen as well.

Siptah likes this.
  11. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Perhaps the -5 loyalty per kill is intended for reconquest? Occupied cities start out at 50 loyalty and a have loyalty malus usually, so it would be more useful if you are trying to take back a city.

agonistes likes this.
  12. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Valid point, and I coincide the ability is only useful if the city is losing loyalty or was losing loyalty and the balance is tipping to the other side (maybe a city additionally founded, the nearby cities proving loyalty grew or a governor has been stationed...). As I comment in my post, and well identified in your example above, if loyalty is growing the benefits you can get from the ability are scarce.... unless you reach 0 in that push (typical go up 4 meter / go down 3 when resting problem).

At that point, you have caused relevant damage to your enemy (they have one city less and lost all yields coming from it, including loyalty to nearby ones), but I concede you do not want to cause damage, but get gains yourself. In that sense if you loyalty pressure is still positive, you may be in best position to flip the city peacefully to your side than your enemy (while "defending" it from incoming enemy units that try to retake it miltary). The border push is indeed annoying and I see the point and I agree this tactic is less efficient in some way than just conquering it right away. However, it is a different way to proceed, and I appreciate the different take. In that sense does allow from a different type of warfare than the conventional one, more focused in pushing back your enemies, expecting at least the cities next to your borders will flip to you eventually, without you investing effort in taking them. This tactic is however hampered by the border push, and the fact walled cities (for which the change of tactics will be most effective, as it saves you siege equipment), will be still hitting you with the city shot while rebel and invading their border.

So I'd settle it in it being not a really efficient or overpowering mechanic, but one that provides different opportunities / challenges, ¿good?

13. Datian

Datian Warlord

I see two useful aspects in the -5 loyalty per kill :
    - flipping colonial cities, like the one that was settled just to invade a new continent, with a low loyalty because it's far and lonely (thematically appropriate)
    - depriving the opponent of a city without actually taking it -> less warmonger penalties : even if the city is in a crappy place and you don't want it, you don't have to raze it

As for the "where's the synergy, are you supposed to attack an opponent during a golden age, or a dark age ?", I compare it to the khmer relics : if your opponent kills your missionaries, you will have a cultural victory, if it doesn't, then you convert its cities. You have an advantage either way.

rattatatouille and Thormodr like this.
  14. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Monument+1Loyalty
    +8 Loyalty for governor
    +6 Loyalty for happiness
    +2 Loyalty for Garrison

This is +17 Loyalty, and the maximal penalty of nearby pop is -20.

So let's see what the Royal Navy Dockyard's +4 can do,

It can make any city with a governor, a monument, a garrison, and a RND, with suitable happiness level, never revolt, even if being surrounded by mass enemy cities.

rattatatouille, Victoria and Uberfrog like this.
  15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Catherine and MT for Austria. And portray them both as young, hot, and shirtless just to even things up.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Leyrann likes this.
  16. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Swift Hawk is definitely not going to be flipping any cities with healthy loyalty. But you could use it with a pro-loyalty strategy to opportunistically flip cities with low loyalty or to hasten Free Cities to your side.

Use your diplomat governor and various +loyalty in nearby cities and + loyalty policies to affect your neighbors' cities, laying the ground work for your units to finish the job.

And are there not penalties production and growth penalties for a city that has low loyalty? Even if you can't flip a city, you can affect it.

Josephias, Uberfrog and Guandao like this.
  18. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Mapuche analysis.

UU: Like winged hussar, these kind of UU(cannot be upgraded to) are not useful.

UA: +10 Strength against Golden aged Civs, very strong.

UA: -Loyalty when defeat enemy, maybe a way to capture high-defense cities?(Make it revolt, then its strength goes down)

UI: Seems interesting for Culture Victory.

19. Architect

Architect Prince

Are the warmongering penalties for taking free cities the same as taking a civ's cities?

20. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I'm pretty sure you're reading it wrong. I think that the only limits are that the total loyalty change cannot be more than 20 per turn to stop cities from flipping in under 5 turns.