1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Mapuche First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Warlord

The obvious question is: if he and Philip are in the same game, who will carry the sword?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I don't know, even though it's a lot of war bonuses it's not just +strength. Decreasing loyalty sounds neat. Thatcombined with the unit makes it sound good for defensive wars where maybe you aren't necessarily trying to gain territory quite yet (but maybe you can force a loyalty flip).

nzcamel, Tchuli, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Well I guessed the Chemamull right.:D
    I was kind of hoping for some kind of eureka bonuses when at war, but I guess combat experience against Civs in a golden age is good as well. Won't be necessarily my favorite Civ to play as but it won't be bad either. It's hard to say if this is considered a cultural civ or not.

Guandao likes this.
  4. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Warlord Supporter

So the UI could yield +5 culture on a breathtaking tile? That seems quite powerful.

5. bbbt

bbbt Deity

That leader ability is probably the most 'creative' use of the new mechanics so far, so that's pretty interesting.

6. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Here's your birthday civ, @Thormodr!

Culture bonus based on appeal looks pretty strong!

Guandao, CivLuvah, Greek Stud and 2 others like this.
  7. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

So instead of just plain conquering cities you can just force them to become independent by pillaging and harrassing the outskirts a bit, that's pretty funny

For once a UI that actually seems pretty good too

8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Lautaro has a nice leader model. I also think this is going to be among the Civs I'll try first. Their bonuses sound interesting to me.

Oh, and I like the Mapuche theme a lot :p

9. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Prince

Pretty cool, but I feel like we already have a ton of military focused civs, even in this new expansion. We're gonna end up with Mongolia, India's new leader, Mapuche and most likely Zulu as your new militaristic civs. Feels like a lot to me. I was kinda hoping they'd take this civ in a different direction for that reason alone.

10. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Those bonuses look really fun, really geared towards guerilla/loyalty warfare, taking cities through inner resistance. Pretty clever. Being a war-like civ without having to do much war is very cool.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

They have an unusual, but interesting, design, since they're geared towards culture and war at the same time. I could see them being a lot of fun when you get attacked. Not my favorite of the new batch, but close to being one of the top that I want to try out. The UI should have some interesting possibilities.

I like their colors too! An interesting contrast to Mongolia's red on red. Seems like a fight between those two would be interesting :D

12. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Wow. This looks fun and interesting as far as combat goes. You basically can target improvements until they send units against you and then pick them off to get their cities to loyalty flip. If the opponent is in a Dark Age, it'll be easy to flip them. If they're in a Golden Age, it'll be easy to kill them. Put a governor on the border to get more loyalty and train units there to get more experience.

The cultural UI might be helpful for a Cultural Victory. I'm not sure about that. But it'll help you get defensive culture or at least help you change gears if a Domination Victory feels like a long shot. This might play a bit like Persia in that you conquer towards a Cultural Victory. Alternatively, you can just try to cripple other civs that are producing too many domestic tourists. That's a nice cultural city you have there. Shame if it became independent.

13. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

Woow, Lautaro's ability is very powerful: if a Mapuche unit defeats an enemy unit in the territory of the enemy city, this city loses loyalty. Poor Brazil on TLS maps. :lol:

Culture based on appeal, it seems that the Eiffel Tower is mandatory for them.

I'm very excited about them.

14. conorbebe

conorbebe King

The unique unit icons seem to be getting worse and worse. The malon raider's looks like a piece of straw. You can barely make it out.

15. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Civilizations in Golden Age are usually play offensively, since they have good loyalty and additional bonuses (which could be military).
    Also, leader UI is generally defensive - it only plays role if you destroy many enemy units without going for the city itself, which appears on defense.

So, I'd say Mapuche are primarily defensive civ. Culture/defense UI based on appeal looks like national park on steroids, so it's a great way for a culture win and could be achieved without generating any faith.

But surely, they could play offensively quite well.

Mr Jon of Cheam likes this.
  16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Wonder what his agenda is.

Guandao, CivLuvah and RohirrimElf like this.
  17. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

In the video, they had them on breathtaking tiles next to the eye of the sahara, and it was +3 culture. So I'm guessing something like:
    +1 culture/+2 is charming/+3 if breathtaking

Which could actually be a huge bonus early game if you have lots of tiles with high appeal. Certainly would let you skip theatres for a good chunk of the game.

Synth likes this.
  18. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Warlord

I think by this you can conquer territory without beeing the evil guy diplomatically. How is the warmonger penalty for capturing independent cities?

19. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Interesting because if you're in a golden age you can get overconfident and this guy can mess you up.

He stole Hannibal Barca's ability!

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I think it's one of the nicest they have had.

Guandao and whyidie like this.