[R&F] Mapuche First Look

Not gonna lie, they look pretty... bland. UI that gives culture and some combat bonuses? The leader ability is interesting but without the numbers there's no way to tell if it's good or not.

EDIT: Also the UU is renaissance era? Bleh. Was hoping for earlier bonuses.
I don't know, even though it's a lot of war bonuses it's not just +strength. Decreasing loyalty sounds neat. Thatcombined with the unit makes it sound good for defensive wars where maybe you aren't necessarily trying to gain territory quite yet (but maybe you can force a loyalty flip).

Well I guessed the Chemamull right.:D
I was kind of hoping for some kind of eureka bonuses when at war, but I guess combat experience against Civs in a golden age is good as well. Won't be necessarily my favorite Civ to play as but it won't be bad either. It's hard to say if this is considered a cultural civ or not.

Pretty cool, but I feel like we already have a ton of military focused civs, even in this new expansion. We're gonna end up with Mongolia, India's new leader, Mapuche and most likely Zulu as your new militaristic civs. Feels like a lot to me. I was kinda hoping they'd take this civ in a different direction for that reason alone.

Those bonuses look really fun, really geared towards guerilla/loyalty warfare, taking cities through inner resistance. Pretty clever. Being a war-like civ without having to do much war is very cool.

They have an unusual, but interesting, design, since they're geared towards culture and war at the same time. I could see them being a lot of fun when you get attacked. Not my favorite of the new batch, but close to being one of the top that I want to try out. The UI should have some interesting possibilities.

I like their colors too! An interesting contrast to Mongolia's red on red. Seems like a fight between those two would be interesting :D

Wow. This looks fun and interesting as far as combat goes. You basically can target improvements until they send units against you and then pick them off to get their cities to loyalty flip. If the opponent is in a Dark Age, it'll be easy to flip them. If they're in a Golden Age, it'll be easy to kill them. Put a governor on the border to get more loyalty and train units there to get more experience.

The cultural UI might be helpful for a Cultural Victory. I'm not sure about that. But it'll help you get defensive culture or at least help you change gears if a Domination Victory feels like a long shot. This might play a bit like Persia in that you conquer towards a Cultural Victory. Alternatively, you can just try to cripple other civs that are producing too many domestic tourists. That's a nice cultural city you have there. Shame if it became independent.

Woow, Lautaro's ability is very powerful: if a Mapuche unit defeats an enemy unit in the territory of the enemy city, this city loses loyalty. Poor Brazil on TLS maps. :lol:

Culture based on appeal, it seems that the Eiffel Tower is mandatory for them.

I'm very excited about them.

The unique unit icons seem to be getting worse and worse. The malon raider's looks like a piece of straw. You can barely make it out.

+10 combat bonus vs golden age civs sounds like "attack the golden age civ" to me.

Civilizations in Golden Age are usually play offensively, since they have good loyalty and additional bonuses (which could be military).
Also, leader UI is generally defensive - it only plays role if you destroy many enemy units without going for the city itself, which appears on defense.

So, I'd say Mapuche are primarily defensive civ. Culture/defense UI based on appeal looks like national park on steroids, so it's a great way for a culture win and could be achieved without generating any faith.

But surely, they could play offensively quite well.

So the UI could yield +5 culture on a breathtaking tile? That seems quite powerful.

In the video, they had them on breathtaking tiles next to the eye of the sahara, and it was +3 culture. So I'm guessing something like:
+1 culture/+2 is charming/+3 if breathtaking

Which could actually be a huge bonus early game if you have lots of tiles with high appeal. Certainly would let you skip theatres for a good chunk of the game.

Interesting because if you're in a golden age you can get overconfident and this guy can mess you up.

He stole Hannibal Barca's ability!

Top Bottom