1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Mapuche First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

I'm loving these bonuses actually. Flipping cities into indepence is a delightfully annoying ability, culture from appeal is such a logical and fun mechanic, extra XP gain without having to build encampments... this is a really nice Civ.

I kind of don't like the city list though. Seems like they went with names of regions over actual settlements. (Capital = Ngulu Mapu, which is the Mapudungun word for the region the Mapuche inhabited)

Does Amani provide more loyalty than the other Governors if she's stationed in a city? The vid seemed to imply that.

Lautaro's Agenda = dislikes Civs in a Golden Age?

2. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Now THAT is an interestingly designed Civ. Love their loyalty pressure. They really nailed the concepts of Malon and Toquis. Chemamulls seem quite potent if the culture is 1 to 1 with appeal

When I heard his ability was "swift hawk" I thought oh great here's another bonus to movement for the first ten turns of war :D

3. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

If it's got 6 or 7 appeal, yes. Note that it's 75% of the appeal.

And of course building mines next to them means killing your own culture output.

4. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

Looks like a fun civ to play.

The CHEMAMULL looks really good. Great for culture victories and if it comes early enough it can be a fantastic early culture booster when most civs are having trouble with culture.

Fun but not overpowered warmonger abilities. Basically all units will have +25% experience, +10 vs civs in a golden age, and the LUA reducing city loyalty could be fun if you can pull off flipping cities without attacking them. But this kind of conflicts with wanting to attack civs in a golden age which get loyalty bonuses anyway.
    I can see on defense being attacked by an AI, you destroy his units as usual and he has a city or two flip.

The MALON RAIDER appears to be another of their "nothing upgrades to it" totally useless unique units. Well see.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  5. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Bienvenido, Lautaro. Ya estás en la familia de Civilización.

Welcome, Lautaro. You're a member of the Civ family now...I have to watch the video once again. I really didn't grasp all its particulars, but like the colors, like Lautaro's depiction.

6. ltccone

ltccone Prince

I agree; I'm really disappointed. Anyone can apparently be a 'civilization.' Who's next, the Hussites?

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

What's the capital? The video is playing too low quality on my phone for me to tell.

8. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

He escaped from Spanish servitude and used their tactics against them. It's a nice visual metaphor.

Bosque, Guandao, Hawke9 and 4 others like this.
  9. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Amani has promotions that grant loyalty pressure around the city she's stationed, normally governers only affect the loyalty of their own city.

Bosque and Noble Zarkon like this.
  10. Portinou

Portinou Chieftain

Congratulations Mapuche, you just joined France, Spain and Norway at the very bottom of the tier list! Seriously, these bonuses are as situational as HELL. Not a way to encourage playing the newcomer...

11. Nurse Michael

Nurse Michael Chieftain

What a handsome young man, and again a shirtless one.

With Shaka having a high chance to be one too, thats some good fanservice there in this expansion.

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Ngulu Mapu which isn't the name of a settlement in real life, but the name of their region in their language.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Guandao and bite like this.
  13. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Where is the dislike button when you need one?

Like, seriously, these guys adapted to European tactics in a matter of YEARS, and then used them to stay independent for hundreds of years, and you're saying they're not worthy of being a civilization? The freaking ZULU are a series staples. We have BRAZIL in. We have AUSTRALIA in. We have POLAND in. How are the Mapuche any less worthy of inclusion than any of those?

14. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

This is a hard civ to interpret, with outside the box abilities that draw heavily on new systems. Here are my tentative thoughts on the military side (the culture/UI side seems more straightforward):

Unless the numbers are massive, Lautaro's loyalty leader ability seems like it will be strongest on defense. Cities that you've lost will be relatively vulnerable to loyalty loss and thus easier to flip back (though having to go through the free city step will be a pain). The ability could also be useful in drawn out engagements along contested frontiers, where it will synergize well with pillaging bonuses (unless the engagements are so drawn out that you run out of things to pillage). It will be next to useless for rapid, long distance conquest. This loyalty effect does seem to synergize quite poorly with the civ ability's combat bonus against golden age civs: the golden age civs you're incentivized to fight are precisely the ones that will be least vulnerable to loyalty loss.

15. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I tend to agree-- I've been a bit underwhelmed with the civ selection this round. My main problem is that when they announced R&F and its mechanics, they made it sound as though the theme would be tied to "great empires" and the ebbing and flowing of influence and power through time. This would fit thematically with a lot of fan favorites, like the Byzantines, Mali, and the Inca. Even the mechanics fit rather appropriately with them (Ages=Byzantines, governors=Inca, loyalty=Ottomans, etc.).

Instead, Firaxis aimed for novelty, which is fine, except the new civs have little to do with either the xpack's theme or the new systems. I am a little disappointed, to be honest-- the mechanics would have been great with the right civs.

CivLuvah, Olleus and Hawke9 like this.
  16. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I'm not sure if it's possible for me to disagree with this take more. Part of me was worried that the Mapuche would get some similar bonuses to the Inca--they do come from Chile, so there's an Andes connection. Thankfully, it's not even remotely similar.

I hope people don't act that way and are able to see the big picture. The Inca are a civ we must have eventually. But the Mapuche have long been on my wishlist of long-shot civs. We need civ to introduce people to lesser-known groups from time to time.

Guandao, CivLuvah, gozon and 5 others like this.
  17. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

Those Civ colors are easy on the eyes.

conorbebe, Guandao and Hawke9 like this.
  18. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

It appears to be their name for Chile, or at least a region thereof - Ngulumapu ("west land"). Puelmapu ("east land") likewise means Argentina. You can find some more info here https://www.mapuche-nation.org/blog/about-the-mapuche-nation/

Guandao and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  19. Zelda1983

Zelda1983 Warlord

Another interesting Civ.

A disadvantage for a Civ in the Golden Age is a surprise. I never expect that.

The Incas are not lost. We will see them in a DLC or in the next addon.

Guandao, CivLuvah, Hawke9 and 2 others like this.
  20. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

I have a feeling for some that might not be the only thing easy on the eyes