1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Mapuche First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

The Hussites? Nah. But when you mentioned it, Kingdom of Bohemia would be nice :mischief:

2. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

I have to say, I LOVE this civ. I was feeling a little disappointed with a lot of the civ designs for R&F so far, but the Mapuche look incredible. They did end up being the culture civ after all! And giving them loyalty bonuses basically makes them a civ IV style culture civ that specializes in city flipping.

I'm not much of a pillager, so I don't love the UU, but everything else really intrigues me. They made a very interesting civ design out of all the most obscure and under-utilized (or new) features. Loyalty and governor boosts were missing in the other civ designs, but here they are, in full force! More appeal bonuses is always good too...that feature hasn't reached its full potential yet.

To top it all off, Lautaro is a true man of legend and he looks fantastic here. I'm surprised they gave him a spanish sword, but it fits his MO perfectly. This Toqui earned his place.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  3. Portinou

Portinou Chieftain

Ok let’s crack the nut.

First, the combat bonus close to land. It depends how close we are talking about, if it is 3 tiles for example, forget it. In most of my games, I want to conquer cities that are 10-15 tiles away. The new starting location system and loyalty mechanic are even going to reinforce this fact that very close combat is situational.

Second, the loyalty bonus. Well, if I am on an enemy territory, I’m attacking it, right? So I want to take the city anyway. The bonus just means: instead of attacking your opponent, you... attack a free city. Just a color change, then.

And bonus against civilizations in golden age, we must see how big it is, but another civilization being in golden age is currently not something you can anticipate, so how do you plan warfare accordingly? Are you gonna wait until your target hits a golden age, not knowing when this will happen?

No, really, I predict a really low position of this civ, unfortunately.

Olleus and steveg700 like this.
  4. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

Taking a closer look at the video, Lautaro's loyalty effect seems to only be 5 points per unit. This seems very low, given that loyalty loss/gain per turn can easily reach the double digits. Even a city that was exactly breaking even on loyalty would require you to kill 20 units to flip it to a free city. The ability seems very interesting conceptually, but unless the numbers are increased, I have a hard time seeing it do anything but slightly accelerate the fall of already doomed cities.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I love the Culture game. I love pillaging. I love flipping cities. This is a nice civ for me.

6. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

The "why no Inca" whining is getting really tiresome. There's a reason they are saving some of the "big" civs. You can look forward to Inca, Ottomans etc in the next expansion.

7. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

So, I just watched the video again in hi-def, and the city Lautaro takes is the Spanish city of Seville. Love the irony.

Guandao, Mr Jon of Cheam and Leyrann like this.
  8. Inawordyes

Inawordyes In a word: Illyria

As a semi-serious sidenote because I couldn't watch the FL with sound - is it pronounced "muh-pu'chay", or "mah'pu-chay"? I've always wondered which was correct

9. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Can you explain what the source of this guarantee is please, thanks?

Returning Lurker and Phoenix1595 like this.
  10. FXS_Sarah

FXS_Sarah 2K Games Staff

I would not advise using First Looks as your guide to pronunciation...

Kjimmet, SolInvictus, Tchuli and 40 others like this.
  11. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

The tears of unfathomable Ottoman sadness on social media warm my blackened heart.

Civilization Rise and Fall of Expectations <3

Ngulu Mapu

12. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

While you're here Sarah, what's Lautaros agenda? :D

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I don't know if they will work well in practice or not; but I like the idea of some rebel raiders roaming the far countryside, picking off weak pieces of the Evil Empire when they can, and slowly drawing the hearts of The People to their cause.

WillowBrook and Mr Jon of Cheam like this.
  14. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Do free cities enforce their borders? If so the enemy Civ would have to declare war to defend their newly free city; it would also allow you to capture the city after making peace with the original owner

15. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Sarah, you do a much better job at pronouncation than Sean.

You are doing a great job with R&F btw!!

16. Eagle Pursuit

I bet he dislikes civs in a Golden Age.

Guandao, Hawke9 and Phoenix1595 like this.
  17. lordofdonuts

lordofdonuts Chieftain

I know balance issues will allways be a part of a game like civ but I cannot understand why they took that direction. Just compare french UI with persian and mapuche one... Seriously they are available earlier, provide as much culture but are not that demanding in planification and placement. Castel should get a major upgrade.

Olleus, Jewelrunna and SammyKhalifa like this.
  18. humble serf

humble serf Chieftain

Could you imagine getting Lautaro, Poundmaker, Chandragupta and Tamar in an expansion pack for CivIII? It would have been totally unthinkable. For all the Ottoman/Byzantine/Inca whining on social media, it's great to see how far the series has come in terms of left-field choices and representation.

19. Eagle Pursuit

You can't straight up compare improvements to improvements. Civs are balanced holistically. Compare the total of unique components of one civ against the total of unique components of another.

CPWimmer likes this.
  20. Inawordyes

Inawordyes In a word: Illyria

Of course Sarah! But I'm still curious at least how you pronounced it. :p