1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Mapuche First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

Another half naked man with bulging muscles... you better put some more female eye candy in Firaxis or I'll accuse you of sexism!

KayAU, DeutschDachs, drakula and 6 others like this.
  2. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

They're on my long-shot wishlist:

1. Bohemia
    2. Bulgaria
    3. Burma
    4. Colombia
    5. Gokturks
    6. Mapuche
    7. Mutapa
    8. Nubia
    9. Scotland
    10. Shawnee

Kimiimaro and Guandao like this.
  3. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I studied Latin American history in University, as well.

So, I can say, without ignorance, that the Mapuche certainly qualify as a Civilization and are a worthy addition to the game. I think most people on here and Civ players in general would echo those sentiments.

4. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

Female eye candy... yeaahhh... :mischief:

Ondolindë, conorbebe, Siptah and 2 others like this.
  5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Uhm... This is not just "giving your opinion". This is being extremely negative with no reason at all:

Additionally, as I think this thread, the Sneak Peak thread and two weeks of discussion on the Mapuche have shown very clearly, they have done a lot of things that warrant inclusion in this game. Because if you put the bar high enough to exclude the Mapuche, you are excluding all but maybe thirty, fourty civilizations in history.

6. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Assuming appeal:culture are 1:1 I'll be power sharting chemamulls all over the landscape.

7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

It's 75%

8. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

I think we are placing too much emphasis in the idea the Mapuche's abilities are golden ticket to "go there and conquer the world" (that's what we have Chandra, Alex and Cyrus for).

As i see it is much more defensive, making forward-settling the Mapuche a very, very bad idea. This way, consider this is an "extra territory around your civ is yours" ability, as the Mapuche will easily conquer any "landgrab" city near its heartland. However, they will have difficulties on going on a long streak of conquers this ways (it's not the same to flip a size 3 city next to your size 10, than a size 10 city next to your conquered size 3).

Incidentally, this mimicks quite well the Auracania wars, were the Mapuche (to Lautaros dismay, according to wiki), won't push strong inside Spanish territory, but take its time to "celebrate" victories. (In the same way, the are well suited for series of "ring" expansions, taking time to build-up conquered cities in the meantime, but not for a full-push war).

Of course, if you consolidate a strong hearthland, you are better suited for additional victory options, but this may be to slow for "efficient" play.

9. Gutmensch

Gutmensch Chieftain

This looks like it might be their unique palace design, or do we already have this in game?

Guatenadian, Hawke9, Meluhhan and 5 others like this.
  10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Chemamulls er'ywhere! Next to mountains, next to rivers, next to the ocean. All Chemamulls!

11. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

Do you mean like The Cree? :p

Maybe 2K+Firaxis have learnt the lesson to produce vanquished civs rather than indigenous civs alive today?!

12. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Wilhelmina isn't enough for you guys? :mischief:

Stilgar08, Bosque, CivLuvah and 11 others like this.
  13. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

Wow.,... I like this civ... but we'll only know how useful their ULA really is when we've had a chance to experience how loyalty really plays out...

This is SO much more interesting than the scots, as a civ design !!!

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  14. ltccone

ltccone Prince

I would say I'm not a big fan of the Cree either, but that would be 'extremely negative.'

15. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

And the Inca weren't "annihilated" by the Spanish? :lol: What was the "global impact" of the Inca Empire besides farming crops like the potatoes? Is Quechua culture and languages widespread all over the world?

The Inca Empire's Global Impact is definitely not on the scale of Rome, England, France, Spain, Russia, China....I could go on and on. People seem to think they were South America's only civilization. Well, I'm been paying attention to the latest archaeological/anthropological research, and the Inca aren't the only worthy Civilization that existed on that continent.

Thormodr and Kimiimaro like this.
  16. Magil

Magil Monarch

I'm not putting emphasis on anything in particular, it's just that -5 loyalty per kill doesn't seem useful for anything in particular. The rest of the Civ I get. Maybe the math will work out different on release than what I expect, but based on the information I have I feel justified in making that assessment.

17. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

They are a cultural victory civ with amazing defense.

Agree. Could be very annoying to mongers. This is a very non-bland design.

Seaside resorts anywhere you want? Very strong cultural civ. Lots of tourism.
    @Victoria might have fun with these guys.

Wicked design.

But its bagpipes for me.

Hawke9, Thormodr and Mr Jon of Cheam like this.
  18. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I regret to have to inform you that there is a difference between "apparently anything can be a 'civilization' " and "I'm not a big fan of this choice."

19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm just going to leave this here.
    After researching them, the Mapuche are fine in my book.
    Barring the Inca, they would be my first pick of another indigenous SA Civ. The Muisca would be good too, but harder to pull off.
    Of course their not as significant as their northern counterparts but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be included.
    And if we go on global impact/ significance in history we would only have China, America, India, Arabia, Japan, Egypt, Babylon/Persia and the rest European probably.
    Edit: Should have mentioned Mongolia as well.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  20. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I love them! And I particularly love that Lautaro is waving around Philip's sword. :D