1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

marathon speed, awesome

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kiltboywonder, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Ramboost

Ramboost Chieftain

I have to participate in the choir of Marathon loving Civ-addicts..........this game speed is THE only one for me. When Civ 4 came out, I thought that Epic would be veeeeeery long, considering that it is longer than a Civ 3 game. But it felt that Epic just flew by and suddenly it was all over..............so I was thrilled when they introduced Marathon :D

My girlfriend and I are on a Marathon multiplayer game, on a huge map with 18 civilizations........IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!! You don't feel you have to rush a war, and you feel you have time to optimize everything. And best of all: Your units don't get obsolete after half a war.........

And on a sidenote: I am getting my ass kicked by my girlfriend........THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!:sad:

2. thordk

thordk Prince

short xml explanation:

<GameTurnInfo>
    <iYearIncrement>20</iYearIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>

means: "increment the years by 20 for 100 turns"
    after this has been done ingame, the next entry is used for determining what's the next stepsize for years and how many turns it should last.

keep in mind, that the game always ends in 2050. no matter how many turns were needed to reach this year.

the minimum increment is 1 year. so the maximum turns is 6050 (4000 BC - 2050 AD)

the xml to get this would look something like this

HTML:
    <GameTurnInfos>
    <GameTurnInfo> <iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement> <iTurnsPerIncrement>500</iTurnsPerIncrement> </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo> <iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement> <iTurnsPerIncrement>1000</iTurnsPerIncrement> </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo> <iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement> <iTurnsPerIncrement>1000</iTurnsPerIncrement> </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo> <iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement> <iTurnsPerIncrement>1750</iTurnsPerIncrement> </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo><iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement> <iTurnsPerIncrement>1800</iTurnsPerIncrement> </GameTurnInfo>
    </GameTurnInfos>

i didn't checked if this xml actually works. and i've never checked if one line would do the job too.

3. jcikal

jcikal The Voice of Reason

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there were 4 eras in Civ 4 (ancient through Modern), yet I see 5 different year increment lines in the XML. Is there a 5th era I'm not aware of?

4. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Marathon is the only speed!

I think we humani tech chase more than the AI and Marathon calms that down a little bit. Also it makes the exploring in the first 1000 years much more fun - I don't find that boring at all.

Agree about units lasting longer before obsoleting - until Marathon came along I'd never appreciated Musketmen or cannon, they just weren't current long enough.

5. Nig the Bastard

Nig the Bastard Chieftain

Nice one thordK I have made the changes and playing and so far so good! I think there will be many hours, days, weeks, possibly months of play in the same game!
    It is a bit annoying though that the game will finish regardless in 2050. I posted a thread about CTPII about how better (in many ways) than Civ IV and that they ought to have used many CTP ideas and incorporated them inyo Civ IV.
    Anyway, time to kick some Indian and French Ass!!!!

6. romelus

romelus NUCULAR!

turn off time victory and the game no longer ends in 2050

7. Niniux

Niniux Chieftain

All you need to change is:

<GameTurnInfos>
    <GameTurnInfo> <iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement> <iTurnsPerIncrement>6050</iTurnsPerIncrement> </GameTurnInfo>
    </GameTurnInfos>

And have the other lines removed, and that should give you a year per turn from start to finish.

I only play on Marathon, as I find non-marathon games to be too quick, and wars to be too silly.

8. JoeBlade

JoeBlade Warlord

Quick question: what exactly is affected by game speed, and how? Research, city building queue and worker improvements are apparently affected (equally?), while movement and combat are not. Anything else?

So in essence, does that mean one has more potential moves and combat rounds per game in the slower speeds?

The manual didn't seem very enlightning in this respect...

9. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

I would love marathon if i had the patience to play it, but since a game at normal speed already takes me about 20 hours just to get to cavalry, i'll stick to normal speed for now.

10. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

That's right. Basically, slowing down the game places a heavier emphasis on warfare.

Apparently, Marathon doesn't increase the costs to train units as much as it increases all of the other production costs, which translates into even more (relative) joy for the warmonger. :hammer:

11. Superfly

Superfly Chieftain

I only play maraton speed, but I have modded it, so that my workers work slightly faster, and I've also modded the unit build time to about 40% of the normal in marathon. This gives time for building huge armies, both for me and the AI of course....:) Have had some really huge and long wars with those settings :sniper:

12. majk-iii

majk-iii Eeh?

How did you do that?
    I would love to have epic research-times and number of turns, but still have unit and building production of the "normal-speed"... this in order to really have to play out your tech-choices... and get to really have to use those (lets say) pikemen in action.

13. Superfly

Superfly Chieftain

Go to the Assest folder, xml, gameinfo folder. On my system the path is like this: C:\Programmer\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\GameInfo
    Edit the CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml file.
    I have editted to following lines (this is for maraton speed)

<iGrowthPercent>300</iGrowthPercent>
    <iTrainPercent>125</iTrainPercent>
    <iConstructPercent>300</iConstructPercent>
    <iCreatePercent>300</iCreatePercent>
    <iResearchPercent>300</iResearchPercent>
    <iBuildPercent>120</iBuildPercent>
    <iImprovementPercent>300</iImprovementPercent>
    <iGreatPeoplePercent>300</iGreatPeoplePercent>
    <iCulturePercent>300</iCulturePercent>
    <iAnarchyPercent>300</iAnarchyPercent>
    <iBarbPercent>300</iBarbPercent>
    <iFeatureProductionPercent>300</iFeatureProductionPercent>
    <iUnitDiscoverPercent>300</iUnitDiscoverPercent>
    <iUnitHurryPercent>300</iUnitHurryPercent>
    <iUnitTradePercent>300</iUnitTradePercent>
    <iUnitGreatWorkPercent>300</iUnitGreatWorkPercent>
    <iGoldenAgePercent>200</iGoldenAgePercent>
    <iHurryPercent>33</iHurryPercent>
    <iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>300</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>
    <iInflationPercent>10</iInflationPercent>
    <iInflationOffset>-200</iInflationOffset>

The Trainpercent is the unit build speed, and the Buildpercent is the worker speed :)

14. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

Like a lot of you responding to this thread, I too enjoy marathon speed and think epic (or lower) tends to squish some units useful lifespan too much.

Although I think that the game designers were wise to slow down build rates to compensate (my wrists only have some many clicks etc. left in them, and GIANT armies just wear me out), I can understand the frustrations many of you feel ... 300 GPP to get your first GP SEEMS really S L O W ...

SO, some of you may be interested in FexFX's mod for turns/speed/buildrates etc. He's made some longer than the slower ones, and one that's marathon, but with the other factors also modded to not be as slow. USE at your risk, but I bet a lot of you will like it ... its at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=150408

He has also made some bigger maps compared to the standards, I beleve.

I may try it after finishing my current marathon game.

15. thenooblet22

thenooblet22 King

Yes, please someone explain the code to us confuzzled ones... :crazyeye:

EDIT: Nevermind... Ha, I didn't see there was a second page!

16. ellie

ellie Emperor

Well playing marathon now.

I think it exaggerates the advantage of teh leaders / players who know how to trade.

In the current game ive ended up going for cavalry by 600ad or something silly.

Having to resist the urge to go to nationhood and draft endless cavalry / go on the rampage.

Strange thing is it was slow at first, but now MT is only taking 11 turns?.

17. solops

solops Warlord

Try marathon with tech trading turned "Off"......

18. Armorydave

Armorydave Prince

That is exactly what I am looking for. I tried one game on Marathon but hated it because production and improvments were still too slow relative to tech advancement. I only want tech to slow down, the current build times and movement/action times would be fine if the tech took twice as long. I might have to figure out how to mod so I can play epic games with the tech costs increased by 50%-100%.

19. Superfly

Superfly Chieftain

That's quite simple :) Look at my post above, and change the Researchpercent to whatever you like. Anything above 300% will make the research take longer. :thumbsup:

20. jayeffaar

jayeffaar Warlord

But if you do that, you're going to completely unbalance the game by giving yourself more than enough time to build everything everywhere and than twiddle your thumbs between tech advances. One of the points of the game is that you're supposed to have to make difficult choices as to what you should build. Being to build everything in half or a third of the original number of years is going to throw everything off-balance.