Marathon Tech Growth BNW

Any other marathon players having extremely slow tech progression? Playing on Prince continents, 15 players, 24 cs. As Assyria I am the tech leader in 1950 and it's still the industrial era with about 20 turns left for Biology, I'm guessing roughly 100-150 years behind where the world usually would be. If it wasn't for time victory being off, no one will accomplish anything. It seems many are saying the game is slower, perhaps it was poorly tested and exponential for the marathon setting; anyone else?

From what I recall, tech growth seemed normal until about mid/late medieval -renaissance, during and after which tech completely bogged down. Players entered the medieval era about the usual time.

I'm playing a Marathon game also. I haven't had remarkably slower tech progression. For me it's the late 1700's and I'm just into the Industrial age. Of course, I've been prioritizing science buildings and expanding. I haven't found that the 1% per city penalty to beakers to be a substantial hindrance.

I'm playing a Marathon game also. I haven't had remarkably slower tech progression. For me it's the late 1700's and I'm just into the Industrial age. Of course, I've been prioritizing science buildings and expanding. I haven't found that the 1% per city penalty to beakers to be a substantial hindrance.

If it's anything like my game, you'll start noticing it soon. Industrial era happened for me ballpark the same time as you, it's quite late for the Industrial era to begin.

I'm just playing standard but I'm noticing much slower teching too. My first game of BNW was the only one that has ever nearly come down to a time victory. I think it is probably an improvement overall since most of games on Emperor tended to end in the 1880's or so. Even now, having to drop all the way back down to Prince, it is still going a lot slower.

This is the reason why i not play marathon game in Civ 5, all happen much slower. i have played my recent games in quick velocity. Marathon game was good in Civ 4. For Civ 5, is not balanced.

Map size? Number of cities?

Err well, I thought it would be evident it's huge. I'm not going to count the number of cities but I'm fairly wide and tall and I'm the tech leader of all civs wide or tall. Tech progression among players is fairly flat in CIV V, it doesn't range as wildly as IV; if that standard tech rate is extremely low in marathon something is off. G&K was fine.

Guesstimating looking at the remaining tech tree and previous experience in CIV IV and pre-BNW V, it'd be about 2200 AD to win a space race :sad:

This is the reason why i not play marathon game in Civ 5, all happen much slower. i have played my recent games in quick velocity. Marathon game was good in Civ 4. For Civ 5, is not balanced.

Marathon was fine for me pre-BNW, only in the current version has tech growth plummeted mid/late game.

I haven't even made it to Renaissance, but I've noticed a definite slowdown. I assumed I was just having trouble growing with the new mechanics (and admittedly, that's probably part of it for me) but even after stacking on a few libraries, my techs are coming in a lot slower than usual. Which isn't bad on Standard and even Epic, but on marathon it's getting torturous. But I'm sure after a few games it'll just feel normal.

I haven't even made it to Renaissance, but I've noticed a definite slowdown. I assumed I was just having trouble growing with the new mechanics (and admittedly, that's probably part of it for me) but even after stacking on a few libraries, my techs are coming in a lot slower than usual. Which isn't bad on Standard and even Epic, but on marathon it's getting torturous. But I'm sure after a few games it'll just feel normal.

The problem is late game gets pushed way beyond a time victory.

I'm playing a Marathon game also. I haven't had remarkably slower tech progression. For me it's the late 1700's and I'm just into the Industrial age.

WHAT.

In GK on Marathon deity by late 1700 you should be in Information Age not Industrial.

My last game:
Spoiler :

If you hit Industrial in 1700 on Marathon in BNW, then the tech tree is definitely slowed down by a TON!

Which is great.
I love the older ages more.
Sounds like Korea is the way to go considering they dominate with Turtles and Hwatch'a till late indu.

... I'm not going to count the number of cities but ...

F2 -> Happiness & Resources tab, in the middle column. It's where I go to find my number of cities when I've got a bunch (i.e., over 13 of them).

F2 -> Happiness & Resources tab, in the middle column. It's where I go to find my number of cities when I've got a bunch (i.e., over 13 of them).

I have about 6-8 founded and many puppeted. Here, here's the save, I'm tired of answering the same question.

Now can we get some feedback from others who actually play marathon/have played in BNW and reached the last century or two?

Attachments

• assyria.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
Top Bottom