1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Marathon vs. Epic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by bioelectricclam, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Quartz

Quartz Chieftain

I usually play epic, sometimes normal, but i don't like it that short.
    I avoid marathon despite liking long games.
    I think the game is not as balanced in Marathon.
    Units (especially spies) become too powerful, due to being able to do so many things in the time it takes to build a building

2. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Marathon all the way, except I've recently developed a horrible habit of starting a game, playing a (real life marathon 12 hr stint), saving in the middle ages, then starting another game next time I play.....

Note to self, finish a game once in a while ;)

3. The Snug

The Snug The Civ Heretic

Marathon gives the game texture and character that cannot exist in even epic.

4. Pir Lan Tota

Pir Lan Tota Warlord

Also, it might be me, but the game becomes easier at Marathon, then it is at epic. Where on Epic me and my budy can win on Monarch, but its very very far from certrain, on Marathon we CRUSH all other AI's on Monarch.

We both think that this is due to barbarians, since at Marathon it takes longer to build defense, but Barbs spawn at the same rate, thus it kicks the AI's ass....yes, I and I specifically say, I build the great wall...he does mids and gives me a settler :D

5. LegionSteve

LegionSteve Motörhead

Yeah I noticed that when I started playing marathon. Normal Barbs on Marathon seem like raging Barbs on normal speed... raging Barbs on Marathon is just insane :crazyeye:

6. LendMeYourTeeth

LendMeYourTeeth Professional anti-Mag

I must say that I'm in the early stages of this Civ-addiction (and I just know it will get worse; you should have seen me with Championship Manager 00/01) but I can't get my head round anything else than Marathon. As I'm just starting to get a handle on Warlord, I presume that's because it's easier - any other mode seems really fast and I lose track of what I'm doing.

7. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

I like the added lifespan of units on marathon. The pace may take getting used to after normal speed, so maybe a transition to epic speed.

8. Nestorius

Nestorius Prince

The only thing I hate about Marathon is the Modern Age. The Space Race drags forever.

9. Catan_Settler

Catan_Settler Prince

Wow, I don't know how you guys can stand Marathon... I feel Epic to be a bit of a slog through the middle game, although I do agree that Normal is far too quick and doesn't really "feel" like the early Civ games because of it. I guess Civ Revolution is going to be like 'Meth head' speed or something.

10. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Marathon affords me the turns I need to
    - explore my continent on a huge map,
    -wage an ancient war,
    - plan and execute a tech or wonder race,
    -expand peacefully,

- conduct a medieval seige campaign,

-explore and colonize the world across the sea,

-enjoy an age of sailing ships and pirates

-achieve an Apostolic victory.

- conduct a World War.

-achieve world economic domination through corporations.

Basically marathon alllows me to pursue a new strategy in a new age.

It feels more realistic to me.

And my invassion force doesn't suddenly become obsolete and beyond the borders of updates once it arrives on another continent.

11. Ricci

Ricci Prince

Soon enough you will be playing your games till 1800-2000 BC, achieving some sort of ancient glory, saving and starting a new quest for ancient dominance.. hahahah!! This kind of addiction i can guarantee.

12. OnmyojiOmn

OnmyojiOmn Prince

I've been playing on marathon since before BTS, and I don't think I'll ever try epic, let alone normal. Sometimes marathon seems too fast! Does anyone know of a mod that slows the game down even further, particularly the last third or so?

13. Hunter Noventa

Hunter Noventa Overlord

I like the research times of marathon, but hat ehte build times, it just takes too long to build anything at all. I wish I knew more about modding, I'd cut down on the production time but not anything else.

14. theKurgen

theKurgen Warlord

The early game can be a bit boring on marathon (lots of enter pushing), but once your economy ramps up you still tech very fast. Epic or faster and the latter half of the game just seems to blaze by you, so marathon is the only choice for me. I just wish it didn't take so freakin long to build just a farm when you only have 1 worker!

15. Pir Lan Tota

Pir Lan Tota Warlord

Yup, the way I start at Marathon, playing Fred the Great
    1. Build Warrior
    2. Build Worker
    3. Build/chop another worker
    4. Build/chop Stonehenge
    5. Build/chop Great Wall
    6. Conquer the world

Playing at prince and with barbs at Raging. No Wall == dead :D

16. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

I know that disease well (what was it about that particular version? I was still playing it in 2005). Thankfully civ has never quite had the same life-consuming properties for me. I think it's because each game actually has an end, so you can at least take a break between games...

Back on topic, I enjoy the occasional Marathon game, but as DrewBledsoe mentioned, it's so damned hard to actually finish them in a reasonable period (especially when you micromanage as much as I do). As a result, I tend to prefer Epic - although the odd game on faster speeds can be both fun and educational as well.

17. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Got to say I was shocked at the tactical differences between Marathon and Epic - I prefer epic as I can actually finish a game in one sitting!

18. jeffreyac

jeffreyac Mostly Harmless

Ya know, I have played all my latest games on marathon, and I love it, but this never actually occurred to me - I've been troubled enough by barbs that I actually went back into the game settings to see if I had selected raging barbs by accident! :blush:

I'm glad you pointed this out - makes a lot of sense now, I probably should have realized that before...

Anyway, I like marathon overall - and I'm OK with the units being comparatively more powerful, as I tend to overbuild improvements in my cities anyweay and this really forces me to think about my military forces...

19. przemuch

przemuch Warlord

marathon gave me the most amusing and epic battles i experienced in BtS; there is nothing i can compare with this particular feeling i got after defeating insane mongolian army in their territory (over 70 grens, ~30 knights, ~40 rifles and 40 trebs, all highly promoted) with smaller (about 1/3 in numbers), but advanced force (inf, few tanks, mgs, cav) using powerful air support; genghis was easily winning most of his long wars and managed to accumulate horde i've never seen on faster settings - fighting it was more like chess with ultimate objective: "stay clear of those trebs!"; and in case of losing most of the stack through massive collateral there would be no time to rebuild - marathon full-scale war is much more unforgiving :)

barbs were raging then, but while some emperor AIs choked, others were able to profit from this - #1 those early armies sent at me were waaay too experienced even for theo/vass combo, #2 - cheap cities - some AIs had half of nation composed of barbarian states, dwarfing me for most of the game