Marines' killing of Iraqi was 'old-fashioned' murder: prosecutor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ramius75, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/287299/1/.html

Now, the question is. If this is a murder on Iraqi soil. Why wasnt the murderer trial in Iraq by an Iraqi Court ???

Shouldnt the Iraqi gov request the soldier to be handled over and withhold some sovereignty over the issue ??

Is the life of an Iraqi lesser than the life of an american soldiers ??

Are the US army condoning such actions by letting the murderer get away with an easier punishment ?

There are so many questions here. Could anyone answer them ?

2. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

What was the motive for the murder if it happened as a murder?

3. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

i dunno. Will have to see how the trial goes.

Maybe its out of sheer impulse to kill an iraqi ?? Robbing ? looting ?? Raping ??
    Or were the marine insulted by the Iraqis ? or was told to leave the country ?
    Its all mere speculation now.

But my conclusion is. The trial should be held in an iraqi court if the american are serious in "winning the heart and soul of the Iraqis" but not applying double standard and let the murderers get away easily...

4. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

The penalty for murder in the military is far getting off easy.

From th UCOMJ
    http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj2.htm#SUBCHAPTER X. PUNITIVE ARTICLES

I agree with the "hearts and minds" bit.

5. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Because the US military has jurisdiction over its soldiers no matter the location as per the Uniform Code of Military Justice. We retain this jurisdiction for the sole reason our soldiers cannot always be exepected to get a fair trial on foreign soil.

I am sure they can request it. I am sure it would be denied.

If found guilty they can receive the death penalty for murder.

That remains to be seen.

I just did.

6. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

he will probably get life in prison, but im not sure how bad was that in the USA...
    or should he get a life imprisonment in an Iraqi prison ??

There was also another famous cases where the whole squad of US soldiers rape a teenage Iraqis and then proceed to kill the whole family. I will also like to see the sentence on that too.

in the absence of greater justice. At least, there should be some lesser justice serve.

7. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Er...you're going to have to source that one.

8. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Also as an aside, its also so that American forces cant get away with things that maybe allowed in one country, but not in America. For example, if a U.S. soldier stationed in Pakistan is accused of raping a women, they do not require five eye witnesses to take him to trial.

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

This actually is quite famous...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,1810326,00.html

10. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

Trust me life in Leavenworth ain't no pick nick. If found guilty he will rue the day he murdered.

11. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

Thanks. As i pointed out that if the american are trying to win the heart and soul of the Iraqis, Then they should at least do their best to avoid such more killing in the future.

Not to mention there was this another case where the American airship killed a group of so called "insurgents" but the villages claimed they were the village security forces.

Things arent really improving in Iraq with so many negatives news coming out of it.

I know the politics here. On 1 hand, handing over the US soldiers to the Iraqis gov will be a great publicity stunt for the ailing Iraqis gov and help them in gaining more support to stablise the country.
    But by doing so, it will erode the support from US public and increase the call to pull back the troops earlier. Not to mention further damage the morale of the soldiers in Iraq also.

Its like caught between a rock and a hard place.

12. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

13. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

We do our best to avoid such killings...but lets be real. There are bad people in the world. Some are even in the Army. We do our best to capture the ones that commit crimes and bring them to justice.

You cant take a mere handfull of such stories and make a judgement call on everything that is happening in Iraq. Such ciminal incidents are truly very few in occurance compared to how many troops have served faithfully and well over there. And when a soldier commits a crime, it really pisses me off for the sole reason that person has smeared the image of what a professional soldier should be.

Personally I do not think it would do any such thing. If trying and killing Saddam had a minimal effect, what do you think hanging a no-name murderer would have? Answer: None.

14. Azash

Azash La Sombra

Wait, what? Is this saying that killing someone while, er, trying to sodomize someone is murder?

15. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

agree, but some will argue the best way to prevent such cases is a full withdrawal.

but the situation isnt really improving...I got a feeling that it will turn to be worse instead...

Killing saddam actually has the effect of further agonies the Sunnis, not pacifying them.

But i also agree that no matter what the US army is doing now, it wont really improve the situation...

16. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

Really? You're not aware of the turn around in Baghdad, Ramadi, and Al Anbar province?

I would comment on these, but everything I have to say would be purely anecdotal.

17. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

well, it remains to be seen. ;)

18. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

Remains to be seen? Huh? Ramadi, which was the perported new capital of Al Queda is no...essentially attack free. Attacks and deaths in Al Anbar have more than halved since January. Attacks, deaths, and sectarian violence are way down in Baghdad.

The key will ultimately be in what happens when the fighting is done in the immediate provinces to the south and north of Baghdad. Will they simply scatter, and regather as they've done in the past? (First Fallujah, then Sadr City, then Fallujah again, then Samarah, then Ramadi, now Diyalla Province).

My concern for years has been our inability to keep insurgents from scattering, regathering, taking over new cities and villages, and resurging. This has been a pandemic cycle for years because we haven't had enough troops on the ground to secure anything other than the Green Zone.

19. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Yep, because the non-anecdotal stuff would undercut your premise.

20. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

Such as ?